What's new

Fuente Hemingway Cracking

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cracking wrappers on cigars is a reality....no matter the brand....so it behooves us as hobbyists to be vigilant in our goal to keep our humidors at a stable environment. That means calibration to ensure that our humis and hygrometers are accurate and after that....leave them in that environment for enough time to acclimate to their home. Thin wrappers can be troublesome...Connecticut is such a wrapper that while tasty tends to give me fits regardless of the storage...so in this event a higher RH helps prevent cracking which I keep a humidor/tupperador around 64-66% for those types of cigars.

Sometimes using the wrong cutter can cause a problem which is why a lot of hobbyists use a punch instead of a straight or guillotine or V cut..... possibly an overly packed section towards the middle? As that section heated up the small amount of expansion of the material caused the wrapper to tear and let go....there are many variables to "what ifs" in cigar issues which leads me back to keeping cigars at rest for months before pulling them out and smoking within the first month. Just because a humidor is at 65% doesn't mean that a cigar that was previously stored in the high 70's is going to magically come to the humidors currrent value....you have to understand that it usually takes a week for every 1% to get down to a value....example..if the cigar was stored at 73% and your humidor is at 65%...that's going to take about 2 months to get that cigar to that value.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've smoked a ton of Fuentes, with the Hemingway line being my favorite. Only wrappers I've ever had do this were recent purchases that were still too wet. It happens occasionally, but not in one particular brand over another. All my smokes are 65 to 67% as well.
I'd give them a little more rest if they were mine.
It seems to happen less often now that I have a large enough stash that gives new arrivals more time to acclimate. Rest, sharp cutter, and wet the end before you cut seems to be a good recipe for me

EDIT: I just read the above post and realize I said exactly the same thing as @Cigary43. Lol
I'll leave my $.02 posted anyways

Last edited:

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thebutcher it's ok to not be a fan of a certain maker. I'm not big on Fuente, but love some Don Peppin. And I'd listen to @squaresoft he's never let me down on suggestions..... when it comes to cigars any way. He can keep his bro jobs. ;)

Stupid Tapatalk

I apreachate cigar recommendations from experienced members (on cigars anyway) I will give Casa Cuba's a try!!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had maybe 5-6 cigars split on me in my 6+ years as a “serious” smoker. Different brands, various vitolas / wrappers, NC and Cubans. Majority stored at 65% but Connies and some Cameroon wrapped seegars at 69%. I believe too much ambient humidity (...sometimes in the high 80s / low 90s...) has been the main culprit once I light up in the garage.
So to the OP, don’t sweat it. I’ve had my fair share of Fuentes and had maybe one split on me but don’t think it’s an issue with the brand. Let your box rest for a month or so and try another one...hopefully with much better results.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had maybe 5-6 cigars split on me in my 6+ years as a “serious” smoker. Different brands, various vitolas / wrappers, NC and Cubans. Majority stored at 65% but Connies and some Cameroon wrapped seegars at 69%. I believe too much ambient humidity (...sometimes in the high 80s / low 90s...) has been the main culprit once I light up in the garage.
So to the OP, don’t sweat it. I’ve had my fair share of Fuentes and had maybe one split on me but don’t think it’s an issue with the brand. Let your box rest for a month or so and try another one...hopefully with much better results.
One "cigar hack" I use when I see a troublesome cigar trying to crack/split....slide the band to cover it until you get past the problem area and then remove the band...temporary fix as the band covers the problem area so that the smoke isn't escaping...kinda like a patch job for a car muffler.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unwrapping or cracking after cutting the cigar is one reason to invest in a set of cigar mouthpieces.
Tis true...I've got a few for the vitola sizes I smoke the most and they do come in handy. I used to buy the Churchill sizes and cut em half....smoke the cut end first and then the other half I'd use the mouthpiece...voila'....2 cigar experiences for the price of one! I still do this occasionally because I have a ton of Churchill cigars that I can't smoke all the way down in the winter/cold so this gives me a choice and it saves me money.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I may be doing this with some of the Churchills I have in my humidors. I'm finding it takes too long to smoke them and after the first hour and a half I'm just tired of smoking the same cigar! Maybe a single 2 hour cigar can become two 45 minute cigars.