What's new

Full Boxes of Opus X

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've been able to get my hands on singles of various shapes of Opus X, but have not found any dealer that will sell a whole box, other than the crazies that are asking $30+ per stick for full boxes. I'm hoping that the 2012 father's day release is very near, but the dealers that I've talked to are planning to only sell singles. When I see the video on youtube of the guy that has a whole tall cabinet full of just Opus X, boxes, coffins, and singles, I'm thinking he either owns a shop, or just has more $$ than god. WHERE on earth can you even buy a whole box of Opus X? Do they exist? :)

~~fred

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
You need to have a good relationship with a brick and mortar that sells them. I have quite a few boxes of Opus X although I don't smoke them very often. Some are more than 8 yrs old. I smoke maybe 2 a year.

And welcome to BOTL

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was told by my local that they aren't sure about a Fathers Day release, their rep said it's very touch and go, and mostly no go. If they are released, it's going to be small qty's. So, unless you're super tight with a B&M, don't plan on getting your hands on a box this year.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I agree with advice here establish some relationships with the people who own the shops. Also, most of the people I know who have a lot of Opus have a lot of patience and a fairly good size cigar budget. $30 is on the low side for some of the hard to find stuff.

Oh and welcome to BOTL!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
wow, dude, your first post is "how do i score a full box of opi?". way to lead off strong!

and yes, even the best retailers don't get opi on request, so having a good relationship with a local helps.

and yes, i have heard that fuente are a little tight on their upcoming releases as well.

and yes, welcome to the board, good to have you! o)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I should have introduced myself.....sorry. Thats the sop at the local shop when folks show up that are planning to hang around and smoke. Names Fred. I'm a new smoker, first stuff I tried was all Fuente. Then I discovered Opus! I also like Padron, and some other Fuente. The world is all new to me at this point, and I'm trying to learn what I like. It's amazing how different all the smokes are, even in the same series! I will take your advice, and work on my local relationship with my B&M, there's more than a few good shops here in Atlanta. What's does B&M even stand for? I know it's my local shop, but clueless as to the letters. Been lurking here for a while, and have my wineodor on order, and learned all about them right here! Beads too. Looking forward to learning more.

~~fred

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Now I feel really dumb.. Are there any other Dominican puros that are similar to Opus? I saw an Ashton ESG that is supposedly grown at Fuente...would that make it similar? Do the sticks grown in the same country end up with similar characteristics?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Now I feel really dumb.. Are there any other Dominican puros that are similar to Opus? I saw an Ashton ESG that is supposedly grown at Fuente...would that make it similar? Do the sticks grown in the same country end up with similar characteristics?
Yes and no, they might have a similar profile, but a tobacco grown a few miles away in a different field can have it's own unique characteristics.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Esg is very different in my opinion very good not as full. Different. Lfd has some Dominican puros I believe but I could be mistaken. Yes opus production is down this year so release will be smaller this probably is because of the fire last year. Tho I will let everyone speculate on their own. Opus have not always been shipped in boxes some retailers only got one dress box and bundle refills so this may be a problem you ran into also. Cannot sell boxes if they do not have a box of them. Welcome to botl hope we have at least helped answer your question.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Yes and no, they might have a similar profile, but a tobacco grown a few miles away in a different field can have it's own unique characteristics.
this to a tee. think wine: different side of a hill or valley, can completely change the grape, notwithstanding the vinter's ideas. same with tobacco.