What's new

gardening

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Yeah no kidding. I cant stand eating grocery store tomatoes. I think my biggest year was 50+ tomato plants. These days its closer to 15-20. Gotta keep it under control, you know ;)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have attempted to grow in the summer but even when I shade everything without twice daily waterings and sometimes even then they all turn to crisps. My house has the perfect exposure to grow cacti and not much else, either 8+ hours of direct sun or full shade.
Have you looked at sun shades? I know I don't have the same temps as you but they really help out in my case. They really keep the sun off you.

I still have some Serrano peppers going and a few others right now. Hoping this chill we've had goes away and my plants survive.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Are composters worth it? Was considering building one.
I started buying leaf compost last year (rather than composting myself).. Ive got a guy here locally that will sell organic leaf compost for $20 a truckload.. I buy 1 load in the spring.. and another in the fall... I could tell a HUGE difference in the soil after the first load..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
We keep a decent sized garden (about 8'x25').. not enough to completely sustain ourselves.. but enough to get a pretty diverse mix of vegetables.. and always have at least one or two fresh from the garden items on the plate from early summer through early winter...

we normally plant both a spring and a fall garden... the fall garden didnt work out too terribly well this year for some reason though..

In addition to the garden, we also keep several berry bushes and fruit bearing trees .. theyre all just part of the landscaping around the house (not in the garden)... we have 2x blueberry bushes, 1x raspberry, 1x blackberry, 2x pear trees, 2x plum trees, 1x fig tree, and 1x olive tree.. Im thinking about adding a couple of cherry trees next year as well..

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I started buying leaf compost last year (rather than composting myself).. Ive got a guy here locally that will sell organic leaf compost for $20 a truckload.. I buy 1 load in the spring.. and another in the fall... I could tell a HUGE difference in the soil after the first load..
That's a great deal, I don't have access to any locally so making my own is the only way to go, what parting the country are you in?

I too plan on adding some fruit bushes like bluberrys and such

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
One thing for you guys new to making compost. You wanna have a pile that is around 3ft x 3ft or more. Heat has to be created in order for the process to work.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'm going to have to look for someone selling it around here. That would be alot easier.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I've got some Trinidad Scorpion seeds I need to try this year
Very nice! My neighbor grew ghost chilis last year and tried to dehydrate them and got messed up by fumes, he set up the dehydrator on his back deck after that hahaha.

I may try and grow more habaneros and some Carolina Reapers if possible.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Very nice! My neighbor grew ghost chilis last year and tried to dehydrate them and got messed up by fumes, he set up the dehydrator on his back deck after that hahaha.

Had a great year with ghost peppers last year. I ate a nice size piece fresh from the plant. I wouldnt even describe it as spicy. Its more like a chemical burn. Lol. Straight fire. My wife licked a piece and was crying for an hour.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

I've made my own Cayenne pepper for the past few years (with my own cayenne plants) and I learned FAST not to dry them indoors, My charcoal grill is in the backyard and, when it sits in the sun, it naturally gets to about 220 degrees or so inside. It's the perfect drier for the chili peppers.

I've added Habanero peppers into the Cayenne mix as well. Adds heat and some fruit flavors to the ground pepper.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
It's been a long time since I've had a vegetable garden, but I love planting, pruning, and yardwork in general. Pronbably 90% of the cigars I have smoked have been associated with some type of yardwork or gardening project!
My front lawn is not the best and greenest on the block, but I take pride in the upkeep. Then there are the roses and the other shrubs and stuff...Always something to do :)

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I don't need a lot of pressure either, but certainly more than gravity will feed it at. I raised my barrel about 12" off of the ground and there is a spigot about 2" from the bottom, but there's a total run of about 30' of tubing and the majority of it (28'+) will be level. If I can find a small electric pump and an outdoor timer, it will be perfect.
Rob, Not sure what kind of pressures you are looking for but every foot above the level of your garden you get 4 PSI so if the garden is in the ground your barrel is half full then you will have about 10-12 PSI in the hose. Am I making any sense???

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Rob, Not sure what kind of pressures you are looking for but every foot above the level of your garden you get 4 PSI so if the garden is in the ground your barrel is half full then you will have about 10-12 PSI in the hose. Am I making any sense???
Makes perfect sense. But I do all of my gardening in containers: several large pots that are 16" tall that are on the ground, and several smaller pots that are on plant shelves, 3' or so off of the ground. Every single drip end on the system is at least 1" higher than the spigot on the rain barrel and most are anywhere from 8"-24" above the spigot's level.

It doesn't need much more pressure (considering that the spigot is at the bottom of the barrel and the water in the barrel will be pushing down) but the pressure isn't enough to ensure regular watering (or possibly any watering) for the pots on the top shelf of the plant stand and probably not enough for the second/middle shelf.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
bump... I took up gardening 3 years ago; initially it was so I could grow hot peppers, but I soon started leaning more toward things that my kid would eat raw. (Cherry tomatoes, snap peas, stuff like that.)

A question for the guys with raised beds - do you guys rotate crops at all to avoid depleting the nutrients in your soil, or is compost/fertilizer enough to maintain soil health? Or is it not really an issue for you?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I never grow the same thing in the same spot in consecutive years. Although I do amend the soil every year, I think rotating helps. You would probably be fine putting things in the same spot if you have limited space if you use compost every year.

It also helps with disease and pest control.