What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Time to start planning and ordering seeds for this year's garden. I usually do tomatoes, couple different types of peppers, eggplants, cukes etc.
Nothing more relaxing than enjoying a cigar while tending to the garden. Anyone else into gardening?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
We have such severe weather here it is hard but I keep plugging along. I currently have a jalapeno and a tomato that are hanging in there just barely. We have more luck with fruit trees oranges peach and apricot all do well here. If I want to have a garden I will need to put the plants out soon and hope to miss the last frost.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
We have such severe weather here it is hard but I keep plugging along. I currently have a jalapeno and a tomato that are hanging in there just barely. We have more luck with fruit trees oranges peach and apricot all do well here. If I want to have a garden I will need to put the plants out soon and hope to miss the last frost.
Im guessing you have to shade most vegetables in your location. Can u grow during the summer months or is it too hot?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Used to with my pap all the time, but since I have moved and he has aged the gardening has stopped. Just put one in here at the house this September and this will be year #1. Do you grow everyrhing from seed? I was thinking of trying that but it's easier to go to the greenhouse in may.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My wife and I are in a townhouse and, a few years ago, I discovered the absolute joy of container gardening on the patio. My patio faces south, is protected from winds, and gets plenty of sunshine. It's ideal. Plus, three years ago when we went to Canada to visit family for two weeks, I was worried about watering, so I put in a drip system. Total price of that was about $50, not including the timer (another $20). I set it to water 30 minutes at 6:00 AM and 30 minutes at 6:00 PM. Different containers/plants had different caps. Plants that like a lot of water get a 2 gallon/hour drip cap and those that like less get a 1 gallon/hour cap. The end of the ¼" tubing (with the cap) is about 1" off of the soil, right at the plant's stem.

We came back and my garden had exploded. So, every year now I use the automated drip for watering and I never have to remember to water the garden. Weeding is so simple because there aren't too many weeds and, in the raised containers, they slide right out.

I've mostly grown herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. I've had great success with those but have had minimal luck with larger veggies. This year, I really plan on expanding it and growing a lot of stuff like carrots, lettuce, squash, etc.

I also installed a rain barrel last year so that I could water with that instead but never got around to getting a pump for it. This year I'll add a second barrel and get the pump.

Oh, and yes, I do enjoy a cigar while gardening!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Used to with my pap all the time, but since I have moved and he has aged the gardening has stopped. Just put one in here at the house this September and this will be year #1. Do you grow everyrhing from seed? I was thinking of trying that but it's easier to go to the greenhouse in may.
I have to admit that, although growing from seeds feels like more of an accomplishment, I usually buy seedlings from a local nursery. It's a lot easier and I don't have to find room indoors to start the seeds or make a cold shelter to acclimate them to the outdoors, etc.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My wife and I are in a townhouse and, a few years ago, I discovered the absolute joy of container gardening on the patio. My patio faces south, is protected from winds, and gets plenty of sunshine. It's ideal. Plus, three years ago when we went to Canada to visit family for two weeks, I was worried about watering, so I put in a drip system. Total price of that was about $50, not including the timer (another $20). I set it to water 30 minutes at 6:00 AM and 30 minutes at 6:00 PM. Different containers/plants had different caps. Plants that like a lot of water get a 2 gallon/hour drip cap and those that like less get a 1 gallon/hour cap. The end of the ¼" tubing (with the cap) is about 1" off of the soil, right at the plant's stem.

We came back and my garden had exploded. So, every year now I use the automated drip for watering and I never have to remember to water the garden. Weeding is so simple because there aren't too many weeds and, in the raised containers, they slide right out.

I've mostly grown herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. I've had great success with those but have had minimal luck with larger veggies. This year, I really plan on expanding it and growing a lot of stuff like carrots, lettuce, squash, etc.

I also installed a rain barrel last year so that I could water with that instead but never got around to getting a pump for it. This year I'll add a second barrel and get the pump.

Oh, and yes, I do enjoy a cigar while gardening!
Ahhhh a fellow gardening nut. I am hoping to do a little mini irigation system this year if time allows. If not, i will probably go with a soaker hose. Try eggplant in the containers. I grow in the ground but a friend of mine swears by them in containers.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
If you can, do the drip system. My father in law has a huge yard with shrubs, trees, flowers, and a garden and he uses it, too. Of course, his is slightly more complicated but for a garden? It tok me about an hour to get it in place the first time because there was a lot of cutting the tubing as well as inserting the ends and connectors. This past spring, it took me about 15 minutes to make sure every pot was being watered and getting enough (but not too much) water.

I'll try the eggplant this year - I love roasted eggplant as well as eggplant parm. And when the veggies are fresh... WOW

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'm on the garage on an old laptop screen. I thought this thread said " Gardening - hot-girls ..
but since I'm here I'll put in my .02
Wife is the gardener but I'm the groundskeeper in that respect. Fill from my driveway expansion was put in the backyard to level off the slope. Killed two birds with one stone, however the backyard looked like Iraq. So my main harvest to grow last year was grass.

The garden was covered over, so for planting, We tried an "elevated" solution. You guys get the drift. We used these huge pots she had and grew "'cukes and zucc's" on the patio. But the results were lackluster. But then again, it was a poor year for everyone around here. The cherry tomatoes didn't do bad up front but still not amazing.

So the garden will be put somewhere in the back this spring. I'll mention 'Foto's drip solution to the wife but not our issue over here. However as long as it's being redone this year I definitely will get fencing because our problem has been the deer family across the street strolling over and hitting the midnight buffet over here. A couple little varmint issues too.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love to garden. I have 4 different beds and also do containers. Tomatoes, peppers, different types of squash, egg plant, onions, garlic, herbs, beans, peas and corn. Corn is the only thing that was unsuccessful, don't know why. I'm going to try watermelon this year. Most years is everything is from seed. Last year I didn't have time and purchased a lot of seedling, but will do from seed this year. More variety of heirlooms. I use soaker hoses to water, organic food and organic pesticides except on my squash. Damn squash bugs and beetles need the strong stuff to kill them. I always post pics of my harvests :).

I got a rain barrel to hook up this year. Rob, what kind of pump are you using to help with the rain barrel?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Good to see so many gardeners. My buddy and I have a 17X34ft garden at his place. We started it for my addiction to hot peppers and now we use it for all types of different things. We are going to try for a 300+ Lb pumpkin this year. I've also got a garden at my place. We bury about 60-80lbs of fish parts for fertilizer as well as watering with compost teas throughout the year. We try to stay as organic as possible.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Good to see so many gardeners. My buddy and I have a 17X34ft garden at his place. We started it for my addiction to hot peppers and now we use it for all types of different things. We are going to try for a 300+ Lb pumpkin this year. I've also got a garden at my place. We bury about 60-80lbs of fish parts for fertilizer as well as watering with compost teas throughout the year. We try to stay as organic as possible.
I share the same hot pepper addiction. Still have ghost peppers and habaneros in the freezer from last year.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I love heirloom tomatoes. Brandywine is probably my favorite. Only thing with heirlooms is they dont yield like hybrids do. But they more than make up for it with taste.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That's why I have 4 gardens, to grow more heirlooms :D.
I love Mortgage lifter, Pineapple and Cherokee purple. All staples in my garden. I always grow something new every year too.