What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks... Its actually my dads set up. We've had very poor success with gardening at our house between the wind and critters so we joined in and made it a family garden at his place. (y)
Do you have more pics and dimensions of that green house? Looks awesome!

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Do you have more pics and dimensions of that green house? Looks awesome!
It is 14' wide and 24' long. 6' block wall, 4' of which is buried. 3' isle down the middle, we offset it and made one bed wider than the other. End wall are made of 2x4s cut to match the arch we did. Gorilla glued and screwed together. 1 window at the top of each end wall with auto temp controlled window openers along with 2 additional manual windows per end wall. PVC arches anchored to 2x6 blocks with framed 2x4 sections to help support the top(helps with those heavy spring snows). FarmTek greenhouse plastic cut to length, I believe its 7mm(?).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It is 14' wide and 24' long. 6' block wall, 4' of which is buried. 3' isle down the middle, we offset it and made one bed wider than the other. End wall are made of 2x4s cut to match the arch we did. Gorilla glued and screwed together. 1 window at the top of each end wall with auto temp controlled window openers along with 2 additional manual windows per end wall. PVC arches anchored to 2x6 blocks with framed 2x4 sections to help support the top(helps with those heavy spring snows). FarmTek greenhouse plastic cut to length, I believe its 7mm(?).

That's impressive! I would like to do a smaller one since I live in town and have limited space. Thanks for the pics and building material list.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

That is a great system! I would love to do something similar in our area.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Garden is starting to roll this year, no pics yet though.

Went with:

Herbs (Cilantro, Dill, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Sage & Rosemary)
Tomatoes (Bonny Best, Tye-Dye, Black Vernissage & Dark galaxy)
Peppers ( Jalapeno, Carolina Reaper, Bhut Jolokia, Cayenne, Red Marconi and Banana peppers)
Corn - Cherokee longear
Beans (Hidatsa red & Thai purple podded yard long)
Eggplant black beauty
Orangeglo Watermelon
Purple tomatillo
Onions (Candy, Copra, Red Zepplin, Walla Walla)
Barley
Sweet potato beauregard

Late summer I will be planting a variety of carrots, beets, turnips and other cold tolerant veggies.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have never grown garlic, but am going to give it a go this fall. We use garlic powder in nearly everything we cook and I have got to think fresh homegrown garlic powder will be much better than store bought. Anyone here given this a try?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have never grown garlic, but am going to give it a go this fall. We use garlic powder in nearly everything we cook and I have got to think fresh homegrown garlic powder will be much better than store bought. Anyone here given this a try?
I grow garlic every year. Plant the individual cloves in October and I usually harvest the bulb in June/July. Store them in a cool area and they last a long time. Very easy. I've even planted store bought garlic cloves that have started sprouting in my kitchen with success. The garlic scapes that grow out the the bulb above ground are very good to eat too. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I grow garlic every year. Plant the individual cloves in October and I usually harvest the bulb in June/July. Store them in a cool area and they last a long time. Very easy. I've even planted store bought garlic cloves that have started sprouting in my kitchen with success. The garlic scapes that grow out the the bulb above ground are very good to eat too. Good luck!
Thanks Lomey. I have heard they are very easy to grow and I am excited to give it a try. I have 12 bulbs so far, but I would like to get about 8 more. It looks like I am going to have to order some. I bought some from a Farmers Market vendor and 1 nursery had 1 variety. Both are softneck.