What's new

General/Altadis

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't love very many General or Altadis blends, but there are a few: Montecristo Epic, Partagas Benji, CAO Flathead Sparkplug are go to sticks for me.

More that I enjoy, but don't smoke all that often: Macanudo Vintage Maduro, Macanudo 1968, El Rico Habano, Partagas 1845, Upmann Legacy, Excalibur Prensado, and RoMeO are all solid and more affordable that a lot of comparable boutiques.

You have to remember that these cigars are generally blended for a larger audience, so the upside is that they are consistent and balanced. The downside is that they don't have the sexiness or the popping flavors of some of the boutique cigars.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I love the fact a lot of "connoisseur's" shun the "big" manufactures. it makes it easier to find aged stock in a lot of B&M's and IMHO there aren't too many finer cigars than an aged Mac 1968 or Excalibur #1 or Punch Gran Cru maddie, Siglo X and so on..........

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
You have to remember that these cigars are generally blended for a larger audience, so the upside is that they are consistent and balanced. The downside is that they don't have the sexiness or the popping flavors of some of the boutique cigars.
Bingo.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I've made a concerted effort to avoid becoming a self-proclaimed "connoisseur" and bonafide cigar snob, but I've fallen into the same habit of avoiding General and Altadis almost as a rule, while handing my paycheck over to guys like Pete Johnson, Jon Huber, and Litto Gomez. As a part of this effort, I try to make myself pick up a Monte or Punch now and then. I find that I can still enjoy a Rare Corojo and really enjoyed a few of Monte's CE cigars -- namely the Las Vegas and Texas.

I've come to terms with my susceptibility to artificial scarcity and boutique marketing, though. And a Tat is always going to win in a battle for my dollars versus any of the big brands.