What's new

German Shorthaired Pointer

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I don't have a GSP but I do have a weimaraner which are closely related breeds. Anyhow she's a smart little shit. They can be crazy ass dogs energy wise, but they're extremely loyal. My weim is the sweetest dog and sheloves everyone, yet she is very protective of her house. She gets super excited/defensive when someone comes to the door, but if I greet the person she turns to an overly energetic attention seeking whore dog. The dogs love being out doors, mine will swim in the creek fetching for well over an hour at a time. My wife and I had no issues, but they can be destructive dogs (so I'm told) if they don't have some kind of "job" or have their energy ran out of them. We were also told by dog trainers that they can be very difficult to train. I think sometimes they call breeds like this "dogs with human brains". Their attention span can be fairly small, but they're smart as hell. They can also be hard headed/stubborn and likely understand what you want but they may refuse to do it. Great dogs though. We love our Greta. She's a 65lb lean running, swimming, fetching machine. I hope to actually train her to be my bird slaying partner this summer. I'd also like to train her to hunt out of a boat so she can fetch me ducks in the fall.

Just a little broad info for them as hunting dogs. They are considered versatile hunting dogs. They basically do everything. They point, flush, dry retrieve, and wet retrieve. If I'm correct GSPs have webbed toes like weimaraners which makes them very capable swimmers. They are big on scenting everything. Mine will do aerial scenting and ground scenting. They typically also have an instinct to kill small animals. There aren't really animals for her to kill in my neighborhood, but she has bagged herself a mouse. She does not go after cats, in fact she loves cats. One annoying thing is when she finds game animal shit, like many dogs and especially hunting dogs, she will drop down and roll around in the pile of shit. Other than that she's a extremely clean dog.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would respond in detail, but read the above post, it pretty much says it all. I have a Vizsla which again, is in the same "breed family" of hunting dogs. Main job is upland game, but they are indeed very versatile.

I work as an obedience trainer at our local dog training club and I've had GSPs in my classes multiple times. Like Vizslas and Weims, they have a ton of energy, but are plenty smart and trainable. Get obedience training! These dogs are eager to please and fairly easy to train. Considering the amount of energy they have, you want them well behaved. And look into your local breed club to see about getting into hunting trials/tests if it interests you at all. They are fun and it is AWESOME to see these dogs out in the field doing what they were bred to do.

I know you said you already put your deposit in, but it also wouldn't hurt to check out your breeder with the local GSP club, unless that is where you got the info in which case, congrats!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a GSP. He is the smartest, friendliest, loyal dog we've ever had. Definitely high energy, loves to "talk" (some hound in the breed) and acts like one of the family.

After our last dog passed I didn't think I'd ever want another, although we've had a lot of great dogs over the years. Was talking to a breeder and saw this one. Fell in love on the spot. He is the best dog I've ever known.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We have a Lab/English Pointer mix and she's just as nice as can be unless she doesn't know you. She has a handful of flecks on her, I'm assuming from the pointer side. She's 65 pounds and we got her from the pound at 6 mos. old. So far the worst of her behavior was up until she was two, she had way too much energy and chewed like crazy. But since then she's settled down and has been an awesome part of the family.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one cute puppy. Momma looks a lot like my male. That is a "ticked and patched" coat, as it has both a brown and white ticking as well as larger brown patches. Wonderful dogs, you'll love her, particularly after she calms down a little and stops chewing everything.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Calms down! Hahahaha! Ours was 14 when he finally calmed down and that was only because he had arthritis and was going deaf. He was the third German shorthair that my family had. All of them were pretty hyper but he was the most hyper.

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've looked at this breed ALOT in the past but always settled for a Lab. I've had Labs my whole life and love my current Lab more than anything. My wife's only complaint is the shedding which can be crazy thick and everywhere. Makes me think about our next dog and breed but I love Labs so I'm not sure what will happen. I really like this dog alot to...I dunno.
Good luck bro with the new addition. Seems like a really good choice to me!
we are in the same boat. I love all my labs ive owned and now since the most recent one passed ive been looking into another but i really really like dobermans and the shed factor definitely influences my decision.