What's new

getting into beer

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Rouge Double Chocolate is a nice one! Old chub you can't go wrong with. And the Wells is a dessert beer, for sure. The rest I can't get in CA, so I can't speak to them.

Nice pick up!

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Rouge Double Chocolate is a nice one! Old chub you can't go wrong with. And the Wells is a dessert beer, for sure. The rest I can't get in CA, so I can't speak to them.

Nice pick up!
Not to hijack this thread but I wanted to make sure future participants of this thread had a chance to see this.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Sweet. I will look for them. Also just finished my first bottle of the Kentucky Bourbon aged and its awesome!
See what I mean!!! Lol
Holy cow, that was awesome....

And, for what it is worth, I agree with JFire. I am not the biggest fan of Barrel-aged stuff... although that KBS Eric brought to the Ventura Herf in 2013 was pretty nice.
I'm a huge fan of barrel aged beers. Stouts porters quads. But just not Kentucky bourbon ale. I think its a generic beer and very poor representation of what true BA does for beer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How I started into craft beers many, many, years ago was I found an Old Chicago and decided to complete a tour. It took me over a year I think but 110 beers later and I had tried most of your major styles and brands. Best part is you win free stuff for drinking beer :)

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Get and Drink the new Stone Xocoveza.

its getting All the raves - purportedly now in Charlotte.
I had one of these last week, and it was definitely not my thing. Kind of like drinking a chai tea or something. The cinnamon burned a bit on the finish, and overall it seemed to me to be very much the kind of thing that a new homebrewer would make. No finesse at all...

But hey, to each his own, right?

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I'm a huge fan of barrel aged beers. Stouts porters quads. But just not Kentucky bourbon ale. I think its a generic beer and very poor representation of what true BA does for beer.
+1. Ever try Firestone Walker's barrel-aged stuff? It's as close to liquid perfection as I've ever tasted.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That warlock is amazing, the pluff mud is pretty good too. Don't forget that most of these beers really benefit from being poured into the proper glass, especially anything with nitro

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Just start with a glass pint glass. That alone will make beer taste better than just out of the bottle.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Oh boy! Something I have some real knowledge on finally... Still learning cigars, but I drink and brew a metric assload of craft beer. If you are near Westbrook, you have access to one of the best breweries in the country IMO. As has been suggested, start out with the malty beers like the Oktoberfests, scotch ales, Kolsch, etc. I remember the first beer that I tried apart from mass produced light lagers like butt light was an Arrogant Bastard and the hoppy/bitterness was too much for me and I poured it down the sink. Like cigars, your taste in beer will change as you try more things and most people do not appreciate hoppy/bitter beers when they start the journey to craft beer. Founders makes a world class Porter and their Scotch Ale is also really good. If you can get Firestone Walker, they make very solid beers as well. Some stouts are brewed with a particular grain called Black Patent that makes them very astringent and taste like an ashtray and those are not very enjoyable to me and can be a difficult transition for someone new to craft beer.. As suggested, glassware is important with craft beer. I have 2 cupboards filled with glassware which is a bit overboard, but it is what I do... Along with the standard Pint glass, I suggest a snifter (like you use for Brandy) for porters and stouts (best served around 50-60f) and a tulip glass for hoppy beers and Belgian beers. Snifters especially are easy to find and cheap at thrift stores.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Oh boy! Something I have some real knowledge on finally... Still learning cigars, but I drink and brew a metric assload of craft beer. If you are near Westbrook, you have access to one of the best breweries in the country IMO. As has been suggested, start out with the malty beers like the Oktoberfests, scotch ales, Kolsch, etc. I remember the first beer that I tried apart from mass produced light lagers like butt light was an Arrogant Bastard and the hoppy/bitterness was too much for me and I poured it down the sink. Like cigars, your taste in beer will change as you try more things and most people do not appreciate hoppy/bitter beers when they start the journey to craft beer. Founders makes a world class Porter and their Scotch Ale is also really good. If you can get Firestone Walker, they make very solid beers as well. Some stouts are brewed with a particular grain called Black Patent that makes them very astringent and taste like an ashtray and those are not very enjoyable to me and can be a difficult transition for someone new to craft beer.. As suggested, glassware is important with craft beer. I have 2 cupboards filled with glassware which is a bit overboard, but it is what I do... Along with the standard Pint glass, I suggest a snifter (like you use for Brandy) for porters and stouts (best served around 50-60f) and a tulip glass for hoppy beers and Belgian beers. Snifters especially are easy to find and cheap at thrift stores.
You poured an Arrogant Bastard ale down the sink???

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well, half of one. It was too much for my Butt light trained palate at the time. It's one of my favorites now though. It took me a while to get into hoppy beers, but now that's all I crave. The more bitter, the better anymore for me.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Well, half of one. It was too much for my Butt light trained palate at the time. It's one of my favorites now though. It took me a while to get into hoppy beers, but now that's all I crave. The more bitter, the better anymore for me.
Oh OK. I nearly had a heart attack. LOL