What's new

Getting into roasting

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
So I'm starting this thread so we can get the newbie trade thread back on topic. Yesterday I was bombed some green beans by one of my noobs. @BoneYard looked back in my posts to find one with @BrewinHooligan about trying my hand at roasting and sent me some.

Well I'm not one to wait so after work I hit up Target but they only had the West Bend poppery with wire screen and that won't work from the online info I found. Next it was off to Bed Bath and Beyond. They only had the Nostalia air but others said it worked

First up was about 1/3 cup of Brazil Fazenda Aurea Natural 16+ beans.

This photo is just about 4 minutes in around the first crack time

And now at about 8 minutes. Looks and smells like a nice dark(er) roast.

After cooling in a colander I dumped them on paper towels for a photo. Nice and dark with a great sheen and fantastic scent.

Last edited:

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Joe that looks great! just out of curiosity (edit) and the big question.... how does it taste?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
156   0   0
So far I did two batches of the Brazilian. One dark at 8 minutes and a lighter roast at about 5. I'm waiting to grind and brew the dark in the a.m. The light one I just brewed and it is nice.

I'm thinking that bean will be great at about 6:30-7 minutes. I'll decide after I brew the darker one tomorrow. The flavors are just as they say on the bag just a bit muted maybe it's because I did such a light roast on that cup?

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
interesting. It looks a little thin in the cup. Would like to know what you think of the darker roast. Also how's the nostalgia popper for roasting in your estimation? a good machine? It certainly looks like a nice roast from the pics above.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
interesting. It looks a little thin in the cup. Would like to know what you think of the darker roast. Also how's the nostalgia popper for roasting in your estimation? a good machine? It certainly looks like a nice roast from the pics above.
Can't compare to any others yet. I need to stir the beans and the others I've seen online seem to move the beans better than this one. It's not a huge deal and it keeps my attention on it more. Over all for 20.00 and my first one I'm happy with it. Can't comment on smoke output since I was outside but is did make some even in the open.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I put a large bowl of water under the mouth of the popper to catch a lot of the chafe and it works quite well. I still roast outside because of the smoke.

And don't forget - you usually want to wait a minimum 6 hours after roasting before grinding and brewing. This gives the beans time to degas. The coffee will be fine if you drink it right away but the flavors will develop better if you let them rest.

Welcome to another slope!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I hear ya! First time I roasted, I did it indoors. My (now ex-) wife loved the smell. Then I did a second, third, and fourth batch and filled the house with pretty acrid smoke LOL

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The advantage of the drum roster is that you can get one with a 4" exhaust port, add a PC fan and attach 4" PVC pipe to direct the smoke outside (or directly into your range hood) to drastically reduce the smoke in the house. Then you can roast indoors year round. Also, they are designed to come up to temperature safely. To get a hot air popcorn popper to work, you need to bypass the safety shut off temp regulator. It's not hard to do, but it's a PITA

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Like you, I started out with a popper, but it didn't take too long before I went to a Behmor 1600 drum, so I can understand your desire to upgrade. After a couple years of roasting 3 to 4 lbs. per week, I finally burned out my Behmor, right before I developed a caffeine allergy and had to give up coffee. After more then a year without coffee, I started to experiment with some high end Mountain Water Decafs, and thankfully am able to tolerate them. I'm now thinking of getting back into roasting and am also in the market for a new roastrer. From my experience, and current research, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Behmor 1600 Plus - Pros - least expensive drum roaster at around $369 (which usually includes 8 lbs. of beans)
- handles a full pound at a time
- smoke depression system
Cons - not good for dark roasts
Gene Café - Pros - more "hands on" then the Behmor, allowing more control of your roasts
- good for dark roasts
Cons - more expensive at $550 - $600
- only roasts 1/2 lb. at a time

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think you'll be happy with the Belmor 1600 Plus. In fact that's the one I'm leaning toward.

A few things.

1) From what I've read, the Plus has a new, pain in the butt "safety" feature that my old one didn't have. To make sure you are monitoring the roast, the controls start flashing about 2/3 of the way into your roast. If you are not there when the flashing starts, so you can press "resume", it will shut down well before 1st crack, ruining your beans. With my original 1600, once I got the roast profiles and timing worked out for the different beans I was using, it was pretty much "set and forget". The new one requires babysitting.

2) The smoke suppression system reduces the smoke but does not eliminate it. I would roast under my kitchen stove vent which vented directly outside. I never set off a smoke alarm, as long as the vent was running.

3) This machine requires a lot of consistent power. If you are not getting into 2nd crack, or having inconsistent roasts, the machine may be power starved, or you may be experiencing voltage fluctuations in your electrical service. If possible, plug it into the first or 2nd outlet on a 20 amp run, and do NOT use an extension cord. Best to plug it into a circuit other then the one your refrigerator is on. Also, don't run the microwave, dishwasher, or other appliances when roasting, if they are on the same circuit as the Behmor. If you still experience problems, you may have to get a voltage regulator.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A little more info on the shut down "safety" feature I mentioned above.

2) Auto Safe/ Unattended Switch – at 75% into set time of a roast the timer will start blinking un:30..29, 28 etc. The user has 30 seconds to press START otherwise it will automatically go into cool flashing err7.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I always used mine at the outlet right under my breaker panel. I was always a full city + so most of the time I would only use 8oz to be sure my beans would hit the second crack. The ambient room temp will also play a part on how well your Behmor will roast. My basement is very cool so my summer roast worked out much better than my winter roast. If you can find a bean that you like a lot it will be much cheaper to buy in bulk. Most time with free shipping. I was able to get a very cool burlap sack by buying 50 pounds once. If I can dig it up I will post a picture.

The safety feature sounds like a real PIA

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Just ordered the Behmor 1600 plus thanks for pushing me over the edge guys :) not that I needed much. I'll update when it arrives