What's new

Getting into roasting

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Wow 152 lbs of beans, how long does a green coffee bean last?
From what I have seen it's about 2-3 years but some will last even longer and get better with age. Problem for me is I can't drink the same coffee everyday for 2 years. I guess it would be like smoking the same cigar everyday for a year.
Sweet Maria's also has a sister site for large bag orders.
http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/content/coffee-shrub

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ah, sorry folk, but green beans go stale also. The rule of thumb is to roast within 6 to 8 months of processing. One of the reasons Sweet Maria gives you the date the shipment was received.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Ah, sorry folk, but green beans go stale also. The rule of thumb is to roast within 6 to 8 months of processing. One of the reasons Sweet Maria gives you the date the shipment was received.
Yes but then in the forum they talk about storing for 3 years (aged coffee) and one of the articles they talk about it and say some age well and some don't. Most things I've seen say 6 months to a year are best

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Well I was out of town for a bit so not much practice with the new Behmor. Today's batch turned out good but maybe could have used another minute at P5. I tend to like a medium roast anyway so this could be spot on after grinding and brewing.
Roasting away

Finished batch .5Lbs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive wanted to try my hand at roasting coffee. Doesnt look too labor intensive with the popcorn maker.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Like this?
First off, I can't believe I missed this thread for so long... Secondly, the "whirly popper" pictured above is what I use now after burning up a couple air poppers. I LOVE how well it works, but it is very manual and labor intensive. You have to sit and stir the whole time. You will need a thermometer to read the temperature inside as well to make sure you add the beans at the right temperature and don't overheat while you stir. Always remember to cut the heat and start cooling down when the beans are a little lighter than you want becuase they will continue to darken until they cool.

Excellent thread Joe and thank you again for the delicious coffee you sent!! Now that I have moved I need to get back to roasting. Costco coffee just doesn't cut it anymore.