What's new

Getting started with pipes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, anyone have some working links to update this with?
I don't know about the links, but some of the blends in the original post are not longer available. In particular, it appears that all of the Dunhill blends have been discontinued, as has Wilke's Nut Brown Burley.
FYI In 2012 the Dunhill My Mixture #965 and Early Morning Pipe are alive and well with wide distribution. The "mild" does appear to be discontinued but there is a "mellow". vtpipes.com has Wilke's Nut Brown Burley.

Thanks for a great thread. Since I watched the YouTube videos on the Frank method of packing the bowl I finally can smoke a whole bowl to the bottom without any relights. One charring light charring light then get 'er going and she stays going the whole way. Just brilliant, thanks.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I see on here it says I can find a good pipe between $20-50. Do you guys have any website suggestions to pick something up in this range? I have three different sized cobs which are great but I'm ready to step it up one level. Any suggestions?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I see on here it says I can find a good pipe between $20-50. Do you guys have any website suggestions to pick something up in this range? I have three different sized cobs which are great but I'm ready to step it up one level. Any suggestions?
Check out the starting line of Savinelli. My local B&M has them in that range and they smoke very well.

[YOUTUBE]h_u0umPXMGY[/YOUTUBE]

Am I too old for this guy to adopt me?
As long as you have a pipe in your hand people will believe everything you say..... Ohh.... I should of never learned this. Haha!
Watched that whole thing. No wonder you seem so wise to me Hosh!

KK33
Lol!!! Yeah, that video is awesome.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
savinelli from cuppa joes. mlook in their "budget pipes" section. i got a SWEET series III unfinished canadian. started out looking like balsa wood, now kinda looks like george hamilton's tan, all from the smoke and my handling. OR a couple other lines there.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Robbie, u can always pick up estate pipes on ebay also. Some cheaper of the cheaper pipe lots go pretty cheap and u can find some gems in them. Or u can bid on a good sav or nording. I got a nice sav in a lot of several for real cheap once.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
stupid little tip: got tobacco that is just a little bit dry, and want to liven it up? lay it on a plate and take it with you into the bathroom for the morning shower and shave routine, and leave the door closed. usually just enough to give it a little zazz! pack, and enjoy for the morning commute, or later in the day.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there a perfect way to pack your pipe....it's trial and error and what we look for is the best way for us as an individual. The Frank Method works but for me it's too tenuous and not being able to put my thumb into the bowl seems a bit much and then having to apply another finger under the thumb for better packing...wellllll, that's a bit over the top esp. when all I want to do is pack my bowl and not having to remember all of the details. The link here is something that works for me...it's fast and easy and so far every bowl has been pretty much perfect esp. the twisting of the last pack of tobacco where you is compressed and the tobacco is then being conjoined which makes for a better combustion. [video=youtube;vCD5NPS2Zj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCD5NPS2Zj4[/video]

Is there a difference in pipes...of course there is and the better the pipe the better the experience. The cheaper the pipe and the issues that come with it...it gets too hot...no balance of heat around the bowl...too small...etc. Don't get me wrong...corn cobs have their place and so do starter pipes but in the long run if you know this is something you are going to stay with...get a good one.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
quicker and easier: once you have an idea of how much your briar holds, grab that much and spin it between your palms, like bread dough (same motion and pressure you would use to roll out a ball for a cookie, say, or a meat ball). place it easily into the bowl and go.

what can i say, i like food analogies. o)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
quicker and easier: once you have an idea of how much your briar holds, grab that much and spin it between your palms, like bread dough (same motion and pressure you would use to roll out a ball for a cookie, say, or a meat ball). place it easily into the bowl and go.

what can i say, i like food analogies. o)
Aha! I like that idea and will do that on my very next bowl....takes all of the variables and does it in one step. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of thinking outside the box to make things easier.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
obviously, useless on cube cut, and requires running out of flakes and coins, but as a convenience, and confidence builder for the guys just getting up, it works. rocked out a bowl of newminster round slices tonight that way, rubbed out and balled in one step, and rolled the entire bowl on one light.

this works REALLY well when you invert the bowl and rotate it over the tobacco, which fathers it into the bowl in one motion, barring a little shake to top off. o)