What's new

GL Pease Odyssey - PToM, May 2014 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Things got lost in April, and in an effort to get May moving we are going to do GL Pease "Odyssey" for the Pipe Tobacco of the Month. (as suggested last month)
Then, toward the end of this month, we'll resume the originally planned suggestion period and polling.

Post your reviews here!

Brand: G. L. Pease
Blended By: Gregory Pease
Blend Type: Balkan
Contents: Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Production: Currently available

"Bold and assertive, yet eminently refined. Odyssey is dark with Latakia, but thats far from all there is to the story. Wonderful black stoved and matured red Virginias are in perfect balance, while exotic oriental tobaccos weave in and out, dancing delicately like Dervishes in the billowy clouds of fragrant smoke. Each puff is more enticing than the last. If you love Latakia and other fine oriental tobaccos, Odyssey is certain to enthrall you."

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sure, it's in stock elsewhere. But I had a Groupon for BNB and too much backlog tobacco as it is. :)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ordered it from smokingpipes, along with a bunch of cobs for my buddies for a guy's weekend coming up and several tins I've had on my list from reading this site.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Odyssey is a good blend but there is something about GLP lat dominated blends that doesn't stoke my fire like other blenders. I will get my thoughts gathered better and use a real keyboard to post up. I enjoy it enough but like with boobs and beer, there are others I like so much more.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

I had around a dozen bowls of this over the past weeks, in different pipes, prepped to different extremes.
Today was in the Brigham Voyageur 136.
This baccy really isn't doing anything for me, but judging by overwhelming rave reviews on other sites, I feel I must be missing something. I'm likely still smoking too fast, too hot, and missing out on any subtleties and complexities. Still need to work on "sipping" the pipe. It was still a pleasant smoke, smooth and dry, nothing off-putting or offensive, it just seemed somewhat flat to me. I'll have to come revisit after I have more time and experience in the piping ways!
Also, I think I was confused as to what Latakia is. After the "in your face" smokiness of Pirate Kake and the information about this being the second most Lat-heavy Pease blend, I was expecting to be knocked over with campfire or hickory. But, like I said, nothing jumped out at me. Time to clean the mental slate and start exploring and analyzing flavor all over again...