What's new

Glock 19 vs Beretta 92FS

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Looked at both today and liked them both. Beretta felt better in my hand but i like a lot of the features on the Glock as well. Would welcome any and all comments on likes and dislikes of either.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Another vote for the Glock 19.
The standard Beretta was an awesome design back in its day, but it is now outdated... leaving several of its features undesirable. The fixed front sight and slide mounted safety being two easy examples.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
GEN4 Glock 19 FTW - fits many people well for CC, great to train with, tons of customization & accessory options to suit your tastes (triggers, sights, springs, barrels, grips, lights, lasers, holsters), easily converted to a race gun, vastly longer mean time between failures than the Beretta

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My biggest issue with the beretta is that it's big and heavy. Size wise its closer to a Glock 17 than a 19. I'm also a Glock nut and armorer so i'm confident in that platform over all others. Best part about the Glock is that you can pull parts out and it still works.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
GEN4 Glock 19 FTW - fits many people well for CC, great to train with, tons of customization & accessory options to suit your tastes (triggers, sights, springs, barrels, grips, lights, lasers, holsters), easily converted to a race gun, vastly longer mean time between failures than the Beretta
The Gen4 is nice and I like the oversize mag release but every one i've fired (10-12 at this point) has had weird extraction. Usually they have worked fine but I don't like brass in the forehead. My vote is for a gen3 unless you are a lefty and want to move the mag-release to the wrong side or you REALLY need the removable backstraps. Otherwise i'd give them a few years to work out the kinks in the Gen4's and buy a Gen3.

Although a Gen4 Glock 21 is a whole lot smoother than a Gen3.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
No need to say anything else ...u probably liked the added weight of the 92 in your hand as it feels more substantial usually the reason people love 1911's when they hold them. But not knowing what you want it for...the glock offers more flexibility and ease of use across a broad spectrum of apps. And situations

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
No need to say anything else ...u probably liked the added weight of the 92 in your hand as it feels more substantial usually the reason people love 1911's when they hold them. But not knowing what you want it for...the glock offers more flexibility and ease of use across a broad spectrum of apps. And situations
I would agree on the weight feeling better in your hand but it definitely doesn't feel better if you carry it all the time like most do. A Beretta 92 isn't a small gun by any means. The 19 is a great trade-foo between concealability and firepower. If you want something just to conceal get a G26 but if you might have to use it get the G19. Also the allure of the 1911 is its sexy slenderness :)

Also this wasn't in my original post but I normally change out the slide, barrel and ejector in my G19 to .357 SIG in the winter making it a G32. It's nice to be able to change calibers by swapping a barrel and a slide versus buying a new gun.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
An all steel handgun is not heavy, felt even less with a good belt and holster.
True and most carry discomfort comes from low quality/improper and/or improperly worn (usually too loose so the weight rests on the hip) equipment. to be clear I just meant heavier than the glock and other polymers. The all aluminum construction gives people a feeling of worth and/or substance without firing even one shot.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
True and most carry discomfort comes from low quality/improper and/or improperly worn (usually too loose so the weight rests on the hip) equipment. to be clear I just meant heavier than the glock and other polymers. The all aluminum construction gives people a feeling of worth and/or substance without firing even one shot.
Yep, no worries. I just like making an explicit statement in case any newer shooters are concerned about the weight of a non-polymer gun.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I carry a gen 3 glock 19 everyday and love it. If I had a choice down range I would carry my glock over the 92f. The 92f is still an amazing gun. Seeing what army guys do to them and they still work is astonishing. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I carry a gen 3 glock 19 everyday and love it. If I had a choice down range I would carry my glock over the 92f. The 92f is still an amazing gun. Seeing what army guys do to them and they still work is astonishing. Just my 2 cents.
It can be trained out but I don't feel comfortable with a sidearm that goes back to safe when I rack the slide. My brain and finger are my safeties ... I don't want or need mechanical nannies when 10ths of seconds count.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
True but I would definitely notice a Beretta 92 vs a G19 for IWB carry. Duty or OWB carry is totally different. Not sure what the rest of you do for work but in my line of work i'd still take the Glock over anything else on the market. Certainly not the prettiest, most accurate or the most refined handgun out there but they just work. I've seen Glocks with broken firing pin springs and trigger springs work perfectly and the officer firing them had no idea that the handgun needed some serious attention. Again my opinion :)

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you looking at anything else? Personally, I'm not a fan of either gun but if I HAD to pick between the two, the G19 would be my choice. Keep in mind that Glock has a ton of customizing options so the grip can be adjusted.

Personally I'm a huge fan of H&K USP; the index finger mag release, interchangeable barrels, weight/balance are just fantastic. I also like that it has a real safety and it's easier to reach than the Beretta. That's just my $0.02

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I appreciate all of the input so far. I will take a look at the H&K today. I was leaning towards the Glock to begin with and after listening to the guy at the gun counter and reading here I will probably go that way.

What are some recommendations on holsters?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The beretta is a decent pistol.. but it does not lend itself well to CCW.. its oversized..

Ive carried one as both a cop and a soldier at different times... nothing wrong with the pistol.. its reliable, functional, and accurate.. but honestly, it pales by comparison to the glock when it comes to durability.. and is not quite as reliable or functional as the glock either.. (FWIW I am a sig, beretta, and glock armorer.. and have carried all three weapons professionally at one time or another (as well as a couple of others)... the weapon that I carry today (by choice), and the weapon that I purchased for my wife for CCW/personal defense... the pistols that I stake the welfare and the lives of my family members on... are glocks..)...

G19 all the way IMHO... beretta doesnt even get consideration...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
for holsters.. it really depends on what your primary purpose is.. and what youre going to be doing all day...

personally, I prefer mid to high ride, belt slide, level 1 retention, straight draw, leather holsters, of high quality... I find that this brings the best combination of concealment and comfort.. I only wrap my pistols in Kramer horsehide... but I will admit on the front end that it is spendy.. and that there are other, lower cost options that will serve you just as well..

A lot of guys prefer appendix carry.. A lot of people prefer IWB as opposed to OWB.. nothing wrong with those choices... everything is a trade off.. one option might give you a little more comfort.. one might give you a slightly faster draw.. another might give you a little better concealment.. etc..etc..

for me.. Ive been carrying a gun just behind my left hip for over 20 years.. when I was a cop I wore a mid ride duty belt holster on my left.. and later a high ride concealment holster when I worked assignments other than patrol... the only exceptions were when I worked as a SWAT cop, a soldier, and a contractor, where I wore a left side drop holster... so.. for me.. having the gun in the same place it has always been (left side, OWB, slightly behind the hip) is a given... its where my hands naturally go when I hit condition orange... there is no thought or hesitation.. it just happens...

all that said.. you have to find what works for you.. how do you dress? what pistol are you going to carry? what activities are you going to be doing on a typical day when you are carrying? will your range allow you to practice/train draw strokes? if so, do they limit where the pistol can be (many wont allow crossdraw, appendix draw, off person draw (man purses, etc..), shoulder holster draw, etc..)? etc..etc..

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the 92fs, im super accurate with it and it feels really good in my banana hands. But if you are looking to conceal, it wouldn't be my first choice... Or even 10th

If money is no concern, take a look at an HK p30, it's no secret that I have a hard on for almost everything HK, but that pistol has a lot of things going for it that I really like. Also, it's worth noting that I'm not too fond of Glocks or many striker fire pistols. Just personal preference I guess.

Last edited: