What's new

Got any other hobbies?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish I had time for other hobbies. Currently my free time is spent trying to burn some calories in the gym and drinking bourbon. Mmmmmm...... I do love to go shooting a couple times a year though with my wife. She is a natural, I never seen anyone shoot so good without even trying. I have to say makes me a little jealous.
That should not only make you jealous brother, it should scare the hell out of you. Just saying!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I like to cook but keep it pretty simple. I was roasting my own coffee but just have a hard time getting myself to fire up the roaster. It is a Behmor 1600 and my bean of choice was just a Colombian Surpremo roasted to a Full City + or just into the second crack.
I love my 2 behmors! They're difficult to screw up a roast; however, they're equally difficult to really manipulate the profile to get a great roast.

Well, such as above, I'm really into coffee and espresso. Espresso is definitely my passion but I enjoying with a handful of other methods (moka pot, siphon, pourover, clever, aeropress).

I love most adult beverages, but beer and bourbon are the only two I'd call hobbies. I brew beer, but have yet to go down the home distilling road.

I like to cook, but baking is what I'm really passionate about. Building a wood fired oven in my backyard currently. I gave up most processed foods a little while ago so I don't bake as often as I like, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

We enjoy camping and hiking as a family.

I'm really into mobile devices, particularly Android.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I love my 2 behmors! They're difficult to screw up a roast; however, they're equally difficult to really manipulate the profile to get a great roast.

Well, such as above, I'm really into coffee and espresso. Espresso is definitely my passion but I enjoying with a handful of other methods (moka pot, siphon, pourover, clever, aeropress).

I love most adult beverages, but beer and bourbon are the only two I'd call hobbies. I brew beer, but have yet to go down the home distilling road.

I like to cook, but baking is what I'm really passionate about. Building a wood fired oven in my backyard currently. I gave up most processed foods a little while ago so I don't bake as often as I like, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

With you on the coffee, too. Cold brew is my fav...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@NWSmoke
I find I have to change my batch size in order to get my beans right where I want them roasted. A lot of that is due to a cool basement where I roast in the winter. My brothers love when I have freash roasted on hand for breakfast.
Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Adjusting batch size is probably the greatest adjustment we can make with the behmor. And I too have to adjust for the climate. I haven't roasted for quite some time, but just got my garage back in order and plan on getting back into roasting more regularly.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Adjusting batch size is probably the greatest adjustment we can make with the behmor. And I too have to adjust for the climate. I haven't roasted for quite some time, but just got my garage back in order and plan on getting back into roasting more regularly.
I have over 10 pounds of green beans just waiting for me. I really have to get some roasted soon and quit being so darn lazy!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have over 10 pounds of green beans just waiting for me. I really have to get some roasted soon and quit being so darn lazy!
So I havent really looked into roasting my own beans, but do you need special equipment for that?

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You can use a popcorn popper. That is how I started but after going through a couple and the fact they make such small batches I went for the Behmor. They will claim you can roast a pound with a Behmor but in reality it could be less than a half pound a batch. The Behmor is also much quieter than the popcorn popper. The Behmor cost a lot more but will give you a lot more option when roasting which helps with some beans. If you do a search you will find lots of tutorials and what to look for in a popcorn popper because not all work the same when they roast.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i still use a hot air popper. I pick mine up at Target for around $15. Just have to open it up, bypass the safety shut-off (prevents the popper from overheating), and then I am good to go. Not that I would condone such recklessness, of course!

That being said, the biggest drawback, for me, with the popper is that there is no real decent way to vent the smoke, so I am left to roasting in the warmer temps when I can do it outside.

Once we redo our kitchen in a year or two and I put in a better exhaust system, I
l'll get a proper roaster with a 4" exhaust port that I can route a duct from into the kitchen exhaust fan.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My other main hobby (obsession) is points and miles. They have allowed my family and I to travel at a very minimal cost, while also allowing us to stay places which wouldn't have otherwise been possible.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i still use a hot air popper. I pick mine up at Target for around $15. Just have to open it up, bypass the safety shut-off (prevents the popper from overheating), and then I am good to go. Not that I would condone such recklessness, of course!

That being said, the biggest drawback, for me, with the popper is that there is no real decent way to vent the smoke, so I am left to roasting in the warmer temps when I can do it outside.

Once we redo our kitchen in a year or two and I put in a better exhaust system, I
l'll get a proper roaster with a 4" exhaust port that I can route a duct from into the kitchen exhaust fan.
I got the Behmor because I was down to 1 popper and could not find another in the right style so I broke down finally and got one. No regrets

I roast down in my basement which has a door out to the garage but is about 5 steps above the floor of the basement. I take a fan and point it up to the garage door to vent out the smoke.

The garage smells nice when I am done :D

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I usually roast for espresso a lot, so a fluid bed roaster isn't the right roaster for me which is why I've never been drawn to a popcorn popper. However I did start with a whirley pop. Once you learn it it makes a good roaster with repeatable results. Worst part was the man power and required larger batches.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am big on hunting, boating, golf, and making my own cheese. Winter sucks cause I can't do a lot of any of them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both. Aging cheese is just like aging cigars. Check out Leeners, they have great starter kits, plus instructions.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

I would love to see some step by step pics of the wood fired oven build. My wife and I have been talking about putting one in and I would rather build it than pay for one to be put in.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would love to see some step by step pics of the wood fired oven build. My wife and I have been talking about putting one in and I would rather build it than pay for one to be put in.
I didn't get too far with it before winter hit. Just have the pedestal with insulating floor. I opted to go cheap and got all the dome bricks I need from old chimneys, but purchased new fire brick for the oven floor. I'd like to finish this summer, but I'm spread pretty thin with projects at the moment so we'll see how far I get. I'd absolutely post some pics of my build for you. Either separate thread or in PM when I get a little further along.