What's new

Gran Habano New STK Box distasteful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Regardless, the art isn't hurting anyone. How do you know the artist isn't making a statement AGAINST children being used as soldiers?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what looks like KID at the bottom is he artist? Tried to google search but of course google anything KID and you get a lot of kid stuff LOL.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Regardless, the art isn't hurting anyone. How do you know the artist isn't making a statement AGAINST children being used as soldiers?
We don't. Hence the discussion.

Most comments expressing distaste for the use have expressly reserved judgment pending more information.

As to not "hurting anyone", I think we'd need more info there, as well.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Another Rico quote:

"[W]e created a small portfolio of accounts that are going to carry a line of cigars under the 'STK Studios' banner, our design studios, to bring in younger people. It will be more cutting edge in our marketing. All of our different unique and limited edition cigars will be coming out of there. We're going to be doing two limited edition cigars per year, about 1,000 to 2,000 boxes and once they're gone, they're gone."

Source: http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/news-views/cigar-news/2023-gran-habano-expands----to-miami
Christ. And this is what they come out with? The tobacco industry has a bad enough image already, doesn't it?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Anyway you slice it, using this image to market "edgier" product doesn't quite hit the mark... Yes, a company is entitled to do whatever it wants, but society upholds and mandates a certain moral and ethical obligation. This image and product does not meet that threshold; IMO, this stinks like 50-year-old sauerkraut.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dont understand how GH thinks this would attract younger smokers. Im a young smoker and I think the box is ridiculous. When I think of edgy I think of Tatuaje and Illusione, subtle yet edgy. Borderline offensive does not make something edgy.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Tahat AK-47 is as tall as he is.
He is holding it at shoulder level, so the barrel would have to be pretty long to be as tall as he is.
Yes, I was exaggerating. An AK is 34 inches in length, and the person represented here is much taller than that. however this AK has the stock removed making it roughly 24 inches long. so that being considered this kid is not taller than 4.5 - 5 feet.

If this picture is representative of an adult, then they sure did choose an adult that looks very young.

Last edited:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Without a statement from the manufacturer of the CIGAR which the art is being used to SELL, it really doesn't matter, now does it? All anyone knows right now is that the CIGAR MANUFACTURER is using an image of an underage soldier to SELL his CIGARS.

I don't know how to put it any plainer, it's not about the ART.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Last edited:

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Alright, guns kill people, and Uzis are guns made for killing people (can't make the hunting argument there...), so why no fuss about the MUWAT?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would not have a problem with a series of cigars named after firearms. In and of themselves, there is nothing evil about a firearm, regardless of its design. If you want to discuss that topic any further, you need to head over to the debate forum as I'm not going to drag this topic that far of its intended path.

I have a problem with someone glorifying the imagery of impoverished kids toting automatic weapons used to pimp the sales of cigars to the "young crowd".

You don't have a problem with the imagery? Fine, it is what it is.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I don't know, I see three kids armed with the necessarily means to defend their village against an invading force. Wolverines!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.