What's new

Greetings from Madison, WI

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and to cigar smoking in general, so here's my introduction. I'm a graduate student in Madison, WI with a newly discovered taste for cigars. A year or so at a family gathering, my uncle shared a couple of Cohibas (Dominican, I assume) with me. Well, they tasted great, but the prices I saw online were pretty high, so I didn't pursue it further.

A couple of months ago, my wife took me to a local food & wine show. There was a booth representing a local cigar store, and after telling the owner I was a total newbie, he picked out 3 cigars for me to start with: a CAO Cameroon, a Padron Maduro, and a CAO Brazilia. I started with the Cameroon. Wow! Nothing like the cheap drugstore cigars I had tried in the past! The Padron was good (but not amazing), and the Brazilia was delicious.

So I bought a few samplers online and locally (and recently discovered c-bid...), and I found the B&M store for the tobaccanist from the food & wine show. This time, he sold me another CAO Cameroon, a Torano 1916 Cameroon (started off great, but got a bit tarry), a Romeo y Julieta Maduro Reserve (in the tupperdor), a Rocky Patel 1999 Connecticut (nice), and Rocky Patel 1990 (amazing! just received some 1992s from c-bid), and a Fuente Gran Reserva (looks like a Hemingway; haven't smoked it yet).

So now, my tupperdor has a CAO sampler, some RP Vintage 1992s, a Torano Exodus 1959, an AF Hemingway, RyJ Maduro, a Puros Indios (from a sampler; are they really THAT bad?), an RP Sun Grown, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, and I've got a five-pack of CAO Black VRs on the way from c-bid.

My favorites (so far) have been the CAO Cameroon, the CAO Brazilia, and the RP Vintage 1990. Off the top of my head, some others cigars I've tried were an Upmann Cameroon (good, but not as good as the CAO), an Onyx Reserve (yuck!), and a Padron with a natural wrapper (very well-made, tasted good). What should I try next? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Unfortunately, I discovered cigars at the wrong time of year: I only smoke outside the house, and we've got a foot of snow and single digit temperatures . . .

-Asher

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Hello and welcome. Nice intro. Sounds like you are off to a great start so far.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Holy chit, Another winsconsin person, I think we are catching up t the texans. Welcome aboard bro! I'm in Green Bay along with Wade. Ever up this way Shout at us! We'll meet up for a smoke.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Welcome from SoCal, Nice intro. I'm surprised by your thoughts on the Onyx, I love them, maybe it needed some more time to rest. But everyone has different tastes. With the other smokes listed, you are off to a good start.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Welcome! I used to live near Milwaukee, but life has moved me around a bit. Glad to have you here, and it sounds like you're going to have a blast on BOTL.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hello and welcome. We need as many as possible from the northern latitudes to keep the Southern lats at bay......

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
So now, my tupperdor has a <snip> Puros Indios (from a sampler; are they really THAT bad?)
No, they're worse than bad! My address is in my profile so I'll make you a deal. If you send me the Puros Indios you have (just so I can be sure you won't smoke it) I'll replace it with two cigars that are of MUCH higher quality that you will actually enjoy. So, for the cost of postage (please don't send priority or worry about humidifying this cigar on the way to me as it will be trashed the moment it gets to my hands) you will receive two great cigars.

Deal?

Wade