What's new

Guitar players, show your gear!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Ah, to be a guitar player. Way, way back in the day, a man came knocking on my Mom’s door offering accordion lessons. I can play a mean beer barrel polka, lol.
LOL ! That's Great ! I practiced accordion for about a year as a kid. One of my sons still has the thing as a family heirloom..
I still remember the "Pam and Hap" characters. Ooom Paa Paa Ooom Paa Paa ...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The 100 year old piano body just got her wireup this weekend. Six months on this build.

Older picture, before wireup, below. The "wave" and old (kimberly) Teisco logo on the headstock I determined was too "busy" and was revised about three weeks ago.
Awesome work man. I would love to complete a project like that

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So when I was in 5th grade I played the violin and I was very bad at it and my mom wanted me to stop. I had always wanted to play guitar so she took me guitar shopping and I ended up with a 2011 I believe maybe 2010 fender strat in blue and a small fender amp. The plan was to get lessons but that never happened so I have a brand new fender in the case basically. I sometimes get it out to strum a little but I really would like to pick up some and play a little. I’ll post a pic when I get it out.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So when I was in 5th grade I played the violin and I was very bad at it and my mom wanted me to stop. I had always wanted to play guitar so she took me guitar shopping and I ended up with a 2011 I believe maybe 2010 fender strat in blue and a small fender amp. The plan was to get lessons but that never happened so I have a brand new fender in the case basically. I sometimes get it out to strum a little but I really would like to pick up some and play a little. I’ll post a pic when I get it out.
Download the app Yousician. 20mins of free lessons a day. YouTube has a ton of great teachers too. It's never too late

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I have my eye on a Firefly or the Grote. Yeah I know we are talking $250 tops on a guitar. But I'm already running a guitar orphanage over here.
I have no hollow bodies and it's not like I can't upgrade it in phases. There's a pretty busy amount of offerings at this level.
Look for an Epiphone ES339 or 335. I bet they can be had around the same price. I love my Epi. The only difference between mine and a Gibson is the finish work on the frets wasn't as nice and the Gibson has better pots. Listening to them, you are hard pressed to hear a difference

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Look for an Epiphone ES339 or 335. I bet they can be had around the same price. I love my Epi. The only difference between mine and a Gibson is the finish work on the frets wasn't as nice and the Gibson has better pots. Listening to them, you are hard pressed to hear a difference
Hey Brews ! Missed this post somehow. The Epi 335's are what got me started on this. But the natural finish ones were around at $350 and 50 shipping. Most of those, I think, used. I even checked out sellers that had factory blems and display-handled units (new-other). Hold on to yours. They're apparently going up in value. But all the hollow / semi hollows are. I've been watching since March.

Reviews say these Oscar tuners are tolerable for, ya know, starting out. Pots and switches will be the weak spots here. Forums say they respond quite well to rewire. I'm hoping for minimal fret work.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey Brews ! Missed this post somehow. The Epi 335's are what got me started on this. But the natural finish ones were around at $350 and 50 shipping. Most of those, I think, used. I even checked out sellers that had factory blems and display-handled units (new-other). Hold on to yours. They're apparently going up in value. But all the hollow / semi hollows are. I've been watching since March.

Reviews say these Oscar tuners are tolerable for, ya know, starting out. Pots and switches will be the weak spots here. Forums say they respond quite well to rewire. I'm hoping for minimal fret work.
Definitely interested in what you grab and do, would like to do pots and switches on mine

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Definitely interested in what you grab and do, would like to do pots and switches on mine
I'll do a review. You do the replacements through the F holes. Cover up the guitar's surface to protect the area, just like surgery.
You pop the knobs off and slide 12" rubber aquarium tubing over the pot shafts. This is your feed tool. Remove the screw, then slide the screw (and washer) off the hose for later.
Now push/feed the pot into guitar, feed the hose in ( like a proctologist. ) Navigate the pot over to the holes and fish it out, replace pot. Stick new pot on the hose, pull it back through guitar into position.
When I do it... I'll share some images and anything I learn, over here for ya.
Or , do the replacements like this guy did to his brand new Grote, below.
Holy. Crap.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'll do a review. You do the replacements through the F holes. Cover up the guitar's surface to protect the area, just like surgery.
You pop the knobs off and slide 12" rubber aquarium tubing over the pot shafts. This is your feed tool. Remove the screw, then slide the screw (and washer) off the hose for later.
Now push/feed the pot into guitar, feed the hose in ( like a proctologist. ) Navigate the pot over to the holes and fish it out, replace pot. Stick new pot on the hose, pull it back through guitar into position.
When I do it... I'll share some images and anything I learn, over here for ya.
Or , do the replacements like this guy did to his brand new Grote, below.
Holy. Crap.
That hurts my heart!!! Love the look of the new axe, I hope it plays like a dream for you. I'm gonna have to look for those, that's a deal. I paid $500 for my Epi new

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The type of finish makes a difference price wise. What I paid was the bottom price of the black ones .. so the deal was hard to refuse. A couple deals like that still out there.

You can put Bigsbys on them, or a more subtle trapeze saddle

The singer "lux" takes a little getting used to, but I get a kick out of Poison Ivy (Kristy Wallace) rocking her Gretsch.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Here she is boys. Don’t know much about her. Other then she’s a strat original custom body. View attachment 135363
Can't really read that serial number. But it goes like this.
Chinese & Taiwanese Squiers
YN: Y = Yako (Taiwan), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.
For example
"YN5" = made by Yako in 1995.
CY: C = China, Y = Yako (Taiwan), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.
For example
"CY97" = made by Yako in 1997.
CY, COS, or COB serials are usually used on Crafted in China Squiers. Some Chinese made Gretsch guitars also have a CY serial number.
Miscellaneous Chinese serials: CD, CT, CJ, NC: C = China, the first number following the serial number prefix is the year. Probably made by Yako (Taiwan). The plant from which the COB serial number prefix models originate remains a mystery. No documentation, or comment from the manufacturer has resolved the question of which plant produced them.
Some Squiers that are sold only in the Chinese and Asian markets are made by Axl in China, these guitars usually have the serial number starting with CXS; with the 'X' standing for 'Axl'.
Squier Classic Vibe series guitars/basses serial numbers start with CG. e.g. CGSxxxxxxx

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That's pretty sharp ! I like the finish, the fret inlays , and the head stock. Nice price !
Better than those Estevan wrecks.
The looks are what sold me. The fretboard and frets need some sanding but it sounds pretty decent. The action is not bad at all. I need to put some good strings on it to see if that improves the sound at all but this will hold me over until I can afford something like a Taylor