What's new

Guitar players, show your gear!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EJ200, SX Vintage series Strat, Crate Acoustic amp, Squier practice amp, Fender Rumble 15 bass amp.
My son plays bass. I play mostly acoustic, but picked up that strat to noodle around with. Another pic to follow of my other gear. In the case behind the amps, my son's Squier Jaguar bass.

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'76 Yamaha FG-180, Toredo,Japanese made, probably late sixties, (a gift from a friend. It was his mother's when she was in college), Fender F-310-12 string. JBP (Hondo, I think) acoustic bass. The Yamaha was my first guitar, had it since I was around 12. Gifted from my dad, it was his.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
What ?this thread still alive/ Well, since then I had a new co-worker was looking for a good used guitar but he had been unemployed for a while so I told hm "save your money, I'll hook you up. "
I was going to just give him my " danger buried cable" since it was the lowest bastard in my stable, ( with a pickup plate that was a hardware store warning sign). He was real excited and was all for the idea !

But ya know what ? I decided to do the kid a little better..
Ok let's jump in. Rip it all out. Here's a nice white Strat plate. Old plate to the right.

Lets go from HH to SSH
The faded humbucker by the bridge is actually from the 80's with some badass patina.
I know for a fact it packs some major metal and will compliment the two single pickups well..

Hang Test. This is where you tape the assembly together and just test if this is the way you want to go... before going further.
Seriously.. I do this... The guitar is basically telling me " where it wants to go " It must all flow.
Pretty much what other industry would call " proof of concept" . . Coolness is present. Continue I do...

Knobs... Knobs everywhere...

to continue

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Plus, of course.. real, knockoff,, and real old.
I guess I've been at this a while. Apparently at least 3 strats or strat clones out the door.

These knobs are nice. I like small because the standard strat knobs if you hammer the shit out of the guitar you hit the volume and mute it which is .. kinda a downer.

Oh man. Still have these crows feet knobs from the 1950 church PA system off of HellCat.
Glad I saved 'em..hmmm. But naaaa. Not today.

That's right. I cut my own 3-layer stock for the truss rod cover.Stock was black. The guitar says it wants white.
Just flowin where the devil takes me. That's right. I have dice knobs too. They almost made it on the build. Just wasn't feelin it

That's right. This body was a "front loader " and the "buried cable " plate covered it. I would make a plate for the tail and had the chrome side loader already in stock for the plug.
Yeah. The shorty knobs won the election. Circuit test here.

OK. This thing is starting to really get pretty badass now.
I'm not even going to get to the pictures of the custom wireup. But if you care... single pickups like 250k pots.. but humbuckers like 500k...
... so for SSH to do it the right way, you marry the two schematics, go 500/ 250 / 250 / and do the trick wireup on the 5way switch.
I will reveal the pots , switch and caps are all brand new, by the way. This MF is gonna lay it down like nobody's business.

Silver mounting screws for the plate here. These would be exchanged for gloss black in the final rev.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Here's a pic of the finished product. There's more details , fixing the finish, setting the intonation, DiMazio XXL , bore oil treatment on the fretboard, ect.. bla bla
but I am done here. I always " tag" my builds somehow. This became "Flowmaster." ( exhaust company logo modified )
I played it for a week and fell in love with it. I brought it into work and said " Here kid try this." Told him "no problem .. my joy was in the build " This happened in April.
Just sharing my latest guitar story. Give the gift of music, bitch. LOL It was fun.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Played a lot in my teens, mostly acoustic because my 'rents wouldn't let me buy electric. Fast forward to current. Pastor at my church mentions wanting to add a second guitar to the worship team. I mention how I used to play but that it had been ages but I would love to get back into it. A few weeks pass and he asked me how the guitar playing was coming. I mention how I'm still without a guitar and he points to an older Fender acoustic/electric and tells me, "take that home and see what you can do". The plug for the cable was missing the nut and bouncing around inside the body and the strings were probably over 5 years old. Some new strings and a small replacement nut and I was in business.

My buddy who is a very gifted musician with lots of performing and studio experience tells me to take his acoustic amp to use and I've been jamming on this setup and playing in church for a few weeks now.

If all goes to plan, I will be posting up a new guitar and amp tomorrow. I feel like there is something inside me that has been woken from a deep sleep and didn't realize how much I had missed playing and can't even believe how quickly it's all come back and how much I'm improving every day. I'm grateful for the push of someone who saw more in me than I did and that my wife is patient enough to put up with all my practice.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Well, took a bit longer than I had hoped but I got my new rig and amp today. This combo is pure butter, I love the vintage tube sound of the amp and the guitar goes from smooth and clean to screaming demon in a quick push of the included pedal. Giggity

Very nice brother! I had a 339 for a few years, great guitar. Also heard good things about the Bugera.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Very nice brother! I had a 339 for a few years, great guitar. Also heard good things about the Bugera.
I originally went in with the intention of getting the 335 but I'm not a large guy and the 339 just fit way better. It may all be in my head, but the 339 sounded better to me as well. The Bugera is insane for the price. They could sell for double what they charge and the sound is unreal.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I originally went in with the intention of getting the 335 but I'm not a large guy and the 339 just fit way better. It may all be in my head, but the 339 sounded better to me as well. The Bugera is insane for the price. They could sell for double what they charge and the sound is unreal.
That 339 is jaw-dropping !! Congrats !! I have an LP knockoff with that same bridge and saddle. Very good if you like lowering the action. That fretboard looks like it plays like butter !

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That 339 is jaw-dropping !! Congrats !! I have an LP knockoff with that same bridge and saddle. Very good if you like lowering the action. That fretboard looks like it plays like butter !
The action is good out of the box, but I do want it lowered a little to be more like my buddies Gibson LP pro that almost plays itself. I've read a ton of reviews saying the epiphone frets come from the factory rough and needing polished and I can't find a single issue. Played for several hours last night getting familiar with the guitar and amp and can't find a single thing I can complain about.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool thread!
I play a 2005 Gibson SG Standard in heritage cherry with the bat wing pick guard.
I currently use a Marshall AVT 50 for my amp.
I am a huge Tony Iommi fan with Randy Rhoads almost being tied with him.
I post this knowing today is the aniversary of his death.
RIP Randy!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Cool thread!
I play a 2005 Gibson SG Standard in heritage cherry with the bat wing pick guard.
I currently use a Marshall AVT 50 for my amp.
I am a huge Tony Iommi fan with Randy Rhoads almost being tied with him.
I post this knowing today is the aniversary of his death.
RIP Randy!
RIP RR (y)
You have an SG, of course you are an Iommi fan! I used to love mudding up the Crate 125 and laying down some old school Sabbath !

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
OK since I'm back here......I do have an update. This thing arrives at my house a week ago. First Act LesClone. Gave it to my son in 2002. He's got an SG for Xmas, and in between moves, so it's back here.
I recall the fretboard got a lot of action work that included shaving frets, and installing a custom nut, cause mfrg was using the wrong one. Sounds great.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

1972 P Bass. I've had it for only about 16 years. Not all original but a real player. Jazz bridge pickup added, badass bridge, and both pickups are now hand wound Lindy Fralins.

When I bought it, it had a busted up white pick guard, and no bridge pick up just an empty space. I think it may have been painted from the factory but I can't confirm.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
OK since I'm back here......I do have an update. This thing arrives at my house a week ago. First Act LesClone. Gave it to my son in 2002. He's got an SG for Xmas, and in between moves, so it's back here.
I recall the fretboard got a lot of action work that included shaving frets, and installing a custom nut, cause mfrg was using the wrong one. Sounds great.
That thing looks sweet!!