What's new

Guitar players, show your gear!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Do any of you guitar guys use tube amps?
I’m a tone snob. I will only play tube amps if I can. I am running a Bugera V22 Infinium and that is by far the best value in tube amps out there. I want a Marshall plexi so bad it hurts, but I can’t justify an amp that big for my current needs. When you look at the wattage ratings between tube amps and solid state, the tube wattage is about twice as loud as solid state. Meaning a 15w tube amp is going to be as loud as a 30w solid state.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Found @BrewinHooligan tube amp on pg 2. I kinda thought it was you !
Nice seeing that Epiphone Dot again. (y)
It was actually an ES-335. A little smaller and more comfortable to play. It wasn’t getting any play time after I rodded my Modern player tele and my strat so I sold it to someone who would get good use from it. I have my eyes peeled for an LP style guitar with P90s now

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This one uses three 12AX7 preamp tubes and a pair of EL84 power tubes. I’m still running the factory ones for now
The reason I asked is I used to collect audio vacuum tubes, but sold most of them about 3 years ago. I had almost 100 various vintage 12AX7 tubes and at least a dozen EL84's. I use a pair of McIntosh MC40 tube mono amps in my home music system. The only tubes I kept were a quad of EI KT90 Type II to replace the RCA Black plate 6L6GC quad in my amps. I love the warmth and tone of tube amps.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The reason I asked is I used to collect audio vacuum tubes, but sold most of them about 3 years ago. I had almost 100 various vintage 12AX7 tubes and at least a dozen EL84's. I use a pair of McIntosh MC40 tube mono amps in my home music system. The only tubes I kept were a quad of EI KT90 Type II to replace the RCA Black plate 6L6GC quad in my amps. I love the warmth and tone of tube amps.
I can appreciate your affinity for good sound and can’t agree more. The next amp I get will be powered by 6L6s

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Have you heard of EI KT90 tubes being used in guitar amps? They are in the 6L6 family.
I have, but only in passing. I've heard of KT90 and KT88 both being used. You year of the KT90 more in HiFi applications, but it's not crazy to see someone using them. I, personally, have never played through a KT90 powered amp.

when injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have, but only in passing. I've heard of KT90 and KT88 both being used. You year of the KT90 more in HiFi applications, but it's not crazy to see someone using them. I, personally, have never played through a KT90 powered amp.

These KT90's were made in the early 90's in Yugoslavia and are prized by the home audio folks. They have gotten almost impossible to find anymore. I have been told I can just swap them with my 6L6GC, but am waiting for them to wear out.

I didn't know if they were popular or not in any guitar amps.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
These KT90's were made in the early 90's in Yugoslavia and are prized by the home audio folks. They have gotten almost impossible to find anymore. I have been told I can just swap them with my 6L6GC, but am waiting for them to wear out.

I didn't know if they were popular or not in any guitar amps.
I have seen the 88s run in a lot of old Mesa amps. I'm sure it'll give you a definitely difference in sound. Hope it turns out to be a nice little upgrade.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Funny someone starts talking tubes and mine decide to crap out on me. I guess an average of 3-5 hours + playing a week for the past 3 years is probably the culprit. Bugera doesn’t make this super easy