What's new

Guitar ?

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hmmmmm... not to do this on purpose but, does it apply to all instrument's (wooden instruments, like drums, piano... ?)
Meg, yer pad has a good RH, so no need to worry.
Drums yes, not as much though but piano sound boards absolutely. You don’t have to worry about it too much though unless you’re keeping the instruments in an unfavorable environment (damp basement for example or extremely dry conditions) for an extended period of time. Extended exposure to extreme conditions can warp or crack the sound board of a piano. Also shouldn’t be placed under heating or a/c vents or near windows that are opened and closed constantly or in direct sunlight.

I have been playing the guitar for 30+ years and never had a problem regarding humidity to be concerned about and never used any kind of humidity correcting measures. I do however take some basic precautions. For example I never leave a guitar in the car in the winter months with freezing temps or in a hot car during the summer for any length of time.

I started building custom electric guitars from scratch in the early 80’s when I was living in NJ. During the building process is mainly when I kept an eye on the conditions in the shop and moisture content of the wood and the conditions were usually favorable.

Megan, it doesn’t sound like you have anything to worry about. It’s not a bad idea though to have the piano tuned at least once a year. Some manufacturers recommend twice a year depending on frequency of use. It’s also a good time to check for minor problems that can be corrected. With a new piano it may need to be tuned up to four times during the first year as it acclimates to the new environment and strings stretch. If you haven’t had it tuned in a while I would find a good tech to tune it and look it over. Other than that I think you’ll be just fine!
:thumbsup:

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
thanks guys do any of you have any hints for some one that is just starting. I have the Mel Bay method books 1-5 i have played for about 3 hours total in the last day and i cant really feel my fingers but thats a good thing. cant wait to get better. I hop this doest end up like smokes were i get addicted. but then agian after initial cost you dont need a whole lot to keep one happy. thanks again

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I hop this doest end up like smokes were i get addicted. but then agian after initial cost you dont need a whole lot to keep one happy.
:rofl::hysterica

Oh - you have no idea! I've spent thousands of dollars on music equipement... It can most certainly become an obsession!

It sounds like your off to a good start though- The Mel Bay books seem to be used by 95% of instructors.

Advice: practice.
After a few weeks, your finger tips stop hurting. Takes a little longer to get your fingers limber. Learn chords, keys & scales, start learning & playing along with songs... You get the idea...

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
:rofl::hysterica

Oh - you have no idea! I've spent thousands of dollars on music equipement... It can most certainly become an obsession!

It sounds like your off to a good start though- The Mel Bay books seem to be used by 95% of instructors.

Advice: practice.
After a few weeks, your finger tips stop hurting. Takes a little longer to get your fingers limber. Learn chords, keys & scales, start learning & playing along with songs... You get the idea...

Seriously. One nice guitar will likely cost you a few years-worth of cigar budget (unless you buy a crazy amount of cigars like many here).

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Drums yes, not as much though but piano sound boards absolutely. You don’t have to worry about it too much though unless you’re keeping the instruments in an unfavorable environment (damp basement for example or extremely dry conditions) for an extended period of time. Extended exposure to extreme conditions can warp or crack the sound board of a piano. Also shouldn’t be placed under heating or a/c vents or near windows that are opened and closed constantly or in direct sunlight.

I have been playing the guitar for 30+ years and never had a problem regarding humidity to be concerned about and never used any kind of humidity correcting measures. I do however take some basic precautions. For example I never leave a guitar in the car in the winter months with freezing temps or in a hot car during the summer for any length of time.

I started building custom electric guitars from scratch in the early 80’s when I was living in NJ. During the building process is mainly when I kept an eye on the conditions in the shop and moisture content of the wood and the conditions were usually favorable.

Megan, it doesn’t sound like you have anything to worry about. It’s not a bad idea though to have the piano tuned at least once a year. Some manufacturers recommend twice a year depending on frequency of use. It’s also a good time to check for minor problems that can be corrected. With a new piano it may need to be tuned up to four times during the first year as it acclimates to the new environment and strings stretch. If you haven’t had it tuned in a while I would find a good tech to tune it and look it over. Other than that I think you’ll be just fine!
:thumbsup:
Thank you!
I'm sure this information was great use, not only for RigilKent and me.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Been playing bass since 1975. Humidity definitely effects my tuning, but once I get tuned up for the day, both basses stay in tune very well. Thicker strings & no wammy bar to bend them!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a Gulf Coaster, like the Idiot, and he's right, it really is it's own humidor. None of the players I know have had any humidity concerns in southwest Louisiana.

I've been playing for about 5 years now, and finally got a respectible guitar last year, a Takamine EG-240. It had a wonderful tone, but the bridge plate was shot. A luthier buddy did some really great work and made it sing. Just had it out of the shop a couple of months and I can't put it down. It feels way too good an ax for what I payed.

My partner at our cigar shop has been playing for 16/17 years,though. I'm lucky to have all the help I need.

Good luck with it, brother. Soundwave nailed it, though. Just keep playing, no matter what.