What's new

Had my 1st Scotch..disappointed

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I finally made the leap from my year old and somewhat still new passion of Bourbon, to Scotch. I researched like crazy (which is what I did with Bourbon before trying my 1st) and went with the most Bourbon expressioned Scotch I could find. I figured since I love bourbon so much it would be a smoother transition into Scotch.

I paid $60 for a Glennfiddich Single Malt 14 Year Bourbon Barrel Reserve Scotch (USA exclusive). Boy was I wrong; it had zero of the bourbon traits that I have been so delighted to experience. In fact it tasted like a band aid infused cocktail with a hint of retch (gross image I know).
I usually drink my whiskey neat but this one I've experimented with in all angles (dab of water, ice cube, lots of ice, stones, and lidding my Glencairn). I can't seem to enjoy without a grimace on my face. I'm gonna try cigars with it next.

At the moment I can only afford one bottle every two months so I'm kinda sad. I plan on buying Bookers Unfiltered Bourbon next. For the first time I can't wait to finish this bottle (Don't like to waste, especially after 14 years of maturation).

Any tips or advice. I don't want to turn my back on the massive Scotch world, but I'm scratching my head why I didn't spot this when researching. Thanks brothers.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thats a bummer. Everyone has different tastes, but that is the scotch I usually suggest for people who like bourbon, but have never tried scotch.
On my 3rd bottle of it currently - its that good

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I finally made the leap from my year old and somewhat still new passion of Bourbon, to Scotch. I researched like crazy (which is what I did with Bourbon before trying my 1st) and went with the most Bourbon expressioned Scotch I could find. I figured since I love bourbon so much it would be a smoother transition into Scotch.

I paid $60 for a Glennfiddich Single Malt 14 Year Bourbon Barrel Reserve Scotch (USA exclusive). Boy was I wrong; it had zero of the bourbon traits that I have been so delighted to experience. In fact it tasted like a band aid infused cocktail with a hint of retch (gross image I know).
I usually drink my whiskey neat but this one I've experimented with in all angles (dab of water, ice cube, lots of ice, stones, and lidding my Glencairn). I can't seem to enjoy without a grimace on my face. I'm gonna try cigars with it next.

At the moment I can only afford one bottle every two months so I'm kinda sad. I plan on buying Bookers Unfiltered Bourbon next. For the first time I can't wait to finish this bottle (Don't like to waste, especially after 14 years of maturation).

Any tips or advice. I don't want to turn my back on the massive Scotch world, but I'm scratching my head why I didn't spot this when researching. Thanks brothers.
I would suggest if you really want to try getting into scotch - is to jump in. I would suggest trying the Glenmorangie Original (10 Year) or the Glenfiddich 12 Year . They are softer than most and a touch sweeter. Price point is not offensive either

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a bummer. Everyone has different tastes, but that is the scotch I usually suggest for people who like bourbon, but have never tried scotch.
On my 3rd bottle of it currently - its that good
I guess it's possible I got a bad batch or like you said different tastes. I think I'm gonna wait until Whiskey Fest NYC until I sample more Scotch (and Bourbon!!!!). I can't exactly afford to dabble at the moment with such a broad spirit.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I guess it's possible I got a bad batch or like you said different tastes. I think I'm gonna wait until Whiskey Fest NYC until I sample more Scotch (and Bourbon!!!!). I can't exactly afford to dabble at the moment with such a broad spirit.
I would say starting out - stay away from the peated stuff (usually from Islay), but some people love it

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That sucks to hear. I wouldn't give up hope though. Maybe find a place or a friend that has scotch and try different ones. I normally drink highland park but it is a little overpriced yet has a "sweeter" taste like a burbon would. I can't stand Johnny walker (the cheaper stuff) but that is casked in used burbon and tennessee whisky barrels so that might have a flavor you like. I think it taste like bark though. Did you drink the scotch room temp or chill it? not adding ice but make the scotch cold? Again sorry to hear the lackluster experience.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I will also add, it might be worth looking into sherry aged casks/sherry finished offerings - they also can add some sweetness to what you may be looking for.
Will point you towards Glenfiddich & Glenmorangie (again) their lineups are very approachable with varying age statements, finishes (& price points). The glenmorangie 12year line is great since each one is finished in a different type of barrel: Sherry, Port, Sauternes.
For sherry finished/aged:
- Aberlour A 'Bunadh
- Glenmorangie Lasanta
- Glenfarclas

Off the top of my head anyways

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Find a bar that has a good scotch selection so you can have a taste without committing to a whole bottle.
I bet you'd enjoy Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. A very sweet scotch with notes of vanilla, chocolate, oranges and a spicy finish.
That is the port barrel finished 12year - great stuff

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you're going to jump in, jump in with the only stuff worth drinking. Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroig, Kilchoman and other peated scotches. Smokey deliciousness.
Well, no. I do love the Isla's myself (Lagavulin 16 is my go to) but first of all there are many great scotches worth drinking and secondly I think we've established that the OP isn't fond of the peat smoke flavor and is looking for a dram that is more in line with his palate.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Find a bar that has a good scotch selection so you can have a taste without committing to a whole bottle.
I bet you'd enjoy Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. A very sweet scotch with notes of vanilla, chocolate, oranges and a spicy finish.
This is the ticket right here. Tons of places around the country have tastings and what not. Get in there, try a few and find what you like without having to commit any serious $$$
It's all part of the journey though right!?!?!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sucks to hear. I wouldn't give up hope though. Maybe find a place or a friend that has scotch and try different ones. I normally drink highland park but it is a little overpriced yet has a "sweeter" taste like a burbon would. I can't stand Johnny walker (the cheaper stuff) but that is casked in used burbon and tennessee whisky barrels so that might have a flavor you like. I think it taste like bark though. Did you drink the scotch room temp or chill it? not adding ice but make the scotch cold? Again sorry to hear the lackluster experience.
I've had Jonnie Walker Blue and whisky faced that, but that was before I learned how to drink whiskey (bourbon), so don't hold it against me lol. I've never considered chilling my scotch, I'll give it a try. I like my bourbon ( no matter how high the proof) neat and at room temp. Thanks for the insights

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the ticket right here. Tons of places around the country have tastings and what not. Get in there, try a few and find what you like without having to commit any serious $$$
It's all part of the journey though right!?!?!
Very true. Looking forward to building from this foundation. Irish Whiskey is upcoming. I've heard it's a little similar to bourbon. No?