What's new

Had my 1st Scotch..disappointed

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I think I've heard people compare that to a campfire in your mouth. Kinda like Latakia pipe tobacco I guess. Thanks
depends on the distiller - it can range from a mild smoke to straight-up charcoal. Some salt brine can sneak in there too here and there. Some love it right away, while others its an acquired taste. I, personally, am not a fan of Laphroaig, but like Lagavulin, bowmore, and Ardbeg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Find a bar that has a good scotch selection so you can have a taste without committing to a whole bottle.
I bet you'd enjoy Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. A very sweet scotch with notes of vanilla, chocolate, oranges and a spicy finish.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I was really looking forward to a lighter more fruit bearing complexity that I've heard some scotch is known for.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're not alone brother...I make my "whiskey face" every time I try even the highest end bourbon or scotch: :wtf: I generally stick to Port and beer (both of which offer a massive variety (y) ).
I was like that too until I made the bold leap into Bourbon. I had no idea that I would like it this much or even at all. It's nice when you can surprise yourself.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Well, no. I do love the Isla's myself (Lagavulin 16 is my go to) but first of all there are many great scotches worth drinking and secondly I think we've established that the OP isn't fond of the peat smoke flavor and is looking for a dram that is more in line with his palate.
I knew my reply was the wrong answer but that was my contribution....and the right answer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will also add, it might be worth looking into sherry aged casks/sherry finished offerings - they also can add some sweetness to what you may be looking for.
Will point you towards Glenfiddich & Glenmorangie (again) their lineups are very approachable with varying age statements, finishes (& price points). The glenmorangie 12year line is great since each one is finished in a different type of barrel: Sherry, Port, Sauternes.
For sherry finished/aged:
- Aberlour A 'Bunadh
- Glenmorangie Lasanta
- Glenfarclas

Off the top of my head anyways
Thanks. All good leads. I've heard that Sherry cask maturation is on the expensive side for Scotch, is that true? Also is it true that the majority of Scotch (90%) is aged in used bourbon barrels?

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thanks. All good leads. I've heard that Sherry cask maturation is on the expensive side for Scotch, is that true? Also is it true that the majority of Scotch (90%) is aged in used bourbon barrels?
Not necessarily (sherry cask being expensive) I believe all the ones I listed are $60 or less depending on where you get them

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I was really looking forward to a lighter more fruit bearing complexity that I've heard some scotch is known for.
While I'm not extraordinarily well-versed in Scotches, I like the Glenfiddich 12 for what you described here, and I tend to prefer it to the stronger/peatier Islay malts... although, if it was a Glenfiddich 14 that you didn't like, another Glenfiddich might not be the answer... Maybe a blended scotch? Johnnie Walker black is priced low, and you can buy it by the pint... It's not the fanciest scotch out there, but might make for a good intro to scotch.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
While I'm not extraordinarily well-versed in Scotches, I like the Glenfiddich 12 for what you described here, and I tend to prefer it to the stronger/peatier Islay malts... although, if it was a Glenfiddich 14 that you didn't like, another Glenfiddich might not be the answer... Maybe a blended scotch? Johnnie Walker black is priced low, and you can buy it by the pint... It's not the fanciest scotch out there, but might make for a good intro to scotch.
The 14 is VERY different from all of their other offerings - it was made purely for the US market

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Very true. Looking forward to building from this foundation. Irish Whiskey is upcoming. I've heard it's a little similar to bourbon. No?
I like Scotch as a change of pace from the typical bourbon routine. I have developed a taste for Islay but it took years to get there. I have found that I like sherried malts as well but I find ALL scotches to be very different from bourbon. If you are going to venture into Irish then I highly recommend two...Redbreast and Greenspot. Both are excellent.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally made the leap from my year old and somewhat still new passion of Bourbon, to Scotch. I researched like crazy (which is what I did with Bourbon before trying my 1st) and went with the most Bourbon expressioned Scotch I could find. I figured since I love bourbon so much it would be a smoother transition into Scotch.

I paid $60 for a Glennfiddich Single Malt 14 Year Bourbon Barrel Reserve Scotch (USA exclusive). Boy was I wrong; it had zero of the bourbon traits that I have been so delighted to experience. In fact it tasted like a band aid infused cocktail with a hint of retch (gross image I know).
I usually drink my whiskey neat but this one I've experimented with in all angles (dab of water, ice cube, lots of ice, stones, and lidding my Glencairn). I can't seem to enjoy without a grimace on my face. I'm gonna try cigars with it next.

At the moment I can only afford one bottle every two months so I'm kinda sad. I plan on buying Bookers Unfiltered Bourbon next. For the first time I can't wait to finish this bottle (Don't like to waste, especially after 14 years of maturation).

Any tips or advice. I don't want to turn my back on the massive Scotch world, but I'm scratching my head why I didn't spot this when researching. Thanks brothers.
Scotches vary GREATLY.
Speyside tends to be sweeter and tame (Balvinie for example. Their 15yr Sherry cask is great)
Islay's which are Smokey, Salty, briny and Medicinal. (think drinking a campfire on a damp day by the ocean)
Highlands are kind of all over the board (its a big region)
Lowlands typically produce lighter more floral whisky's...

I gravitate to the Islay's... I love my Lagavulin 16, Caol Ila 12, and Laphroaig 10 & 18. But they seem to be a love it or hate it sort of thing.
I also really like the Balvinie 15yr single barrel, & 15yr Sherry Cask when I am wanting something a bit more subtle.

Lastly... Try the Japanese stuff. Hibiki 12 & Hakushu 12 are amazing. Yamazaki is good of course too.
Best of luck! and visit https://www.masterofmalt.com/country-style/scotch/single-malt-whisky/ for good info.
(you typically can find it cheaper locally, but there is a lot of great knowledge & reviews on there... Just take the reviews with a grain of salt, just like cigars, everyones tastes are different)

Last edited:

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My experience was the same, but opposite. I started drinking Scotch with cigars and kept at it for 6 months, intermingling Rum neat and Vodka martinis occasionally. One afternoon at the Owl Cigar Bar in New Haven, Conn., I ordered a glass of Four Roses Small Batch to go with a Davidoff Nicaraguan Toro. I've never had another glass of Scotch since. In fact, I can't stand the taste really. It's confusing to me. But Bourbons tend to have a sweetness, a spice that really mixes well with tobacco--elevates it even. The Scotches I tried were mostly Islays too, so the smokineess kinda off-set the smoke of the cigar, or confused it. I'll go back and try again, but Bourbons are what I prefer. Belle Meade Sherry Cask is right in my wheelhouse!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I couldn't agree more. I've tried scotch a few times and I always explain it as "licking a bandaid". Which is funny because that's the same word you used. I love bourbon and I have a bunch of bottles so I'll just stick with that. I'll keep the scotch for guests, but I don't plan on having another glass

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LASTLY LASTLY... This thread needs some photos... Because reasons. lol

KWG_2948 by Shift_Six, on Flickr
KWG_2929 by Shift_Six, on Flickr
Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr
12837163_10156609330955475_1156872391_o by Shift_Six, on Flickr

lol ok... Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
I haven't had a cigar in a while and your cigar/ beverage photos literally had my mouth watering Haha.

Scotch from the Lowlands sound like it might be up my alley. Floral is one of my favorite notes in pretty much anything lol.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My experience was the same, but opposite. I started drinking Scotch with cigars and kept at it for 6 months, intermingling Rum neat and Vodka martinis occasionally. One afternoon at the Owl Cigar Bar in New Haven, Conn., I ordered a glass of Four Roses Small Batch to go with a Davidoff Nicaraguan Toro. I've never had another glass of Scotch since. In fact, I can't stand the taste really. It's confusing to me. But Bourbons tend to have a sweetness, a spice that really mixes well with tobacco--elevates it even. The Scotches I tried were mostly Islays too, so the smokineess kinda off-set the smoke of the cigar, or confused it. I'll go back and try again, but Bourbons are what I prefer. Belle Meade Sherry Cask is right in my wheelhouse!
Couldn't agree more. I end up having way more glasses of bourbon then I should during cigar smoking, Because it's that good when put together. Haven't had Four Roses yet but paired recently a snifter of Bookers Unfiltered with a beautiful stick. Talk about a powerhouse bourbon. I'll let you know how I like Scotch with my cigar. Curious.