What's new

Hats off to Puro Cigars

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Diplomatico you are 100% correct on the taxes.
We stocked up on the cigars that were available, so it could be 6 months to a year or more before new stock is needed and the new tax rate applies. I have limited programming knowledge and I was able to handle adding the tax for California customers (and only a portion of the excise tax & sales tax since we are still covering a large portion of it). It is very simple to only add this tax per cigar as new stock comes in, so California customers won't be hit with it until absolutely necessary.
Each item that we have to add the new tax rate to will be clearly noted on that cigar description along with the CA price so you won't be surprised at check out.
We are just trying to make the best of a bad situation and help our California customers, and of course our business, for as long as possible.
We really appreciate the support of BOTL members. Thanks to all of you.

Opforty

B&M Bomber
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Looks like singles are coming back w/ 8 cigar minimum purchase, from @PuroCigar website:

Single Cigars are Back!!
You asked for single cigars to come back and we listened.

All we ask is that you purchase 8 singles on your order.
If you order a 5-pack, that counts as 5 singles, so just order 3 more singles and you have met the minimum to purchase singles.
Just want a 5-pack? You can still do that without any additional purchase.
If you order singles and do not meet the 8 cigar minimum, we will email you to add the additional cigars to an order. Single cigar orders under the 8 cigar minimum will not be shipped.
(y)(y)(y)

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Currently in HI and without a doubt, Puro Cigar is a fantastic retailer. I've gotten lucky and ordered LFD ABs and Warped Skyflowers wayyyy less than what other retailers want for those specific smokes.

I'm in the process of moving to California and I will have to limit buying anything locally just because of the new excise tax. California is killing the premium cigar industry with their new tax.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm in the process of moving to California and I doubt I'll be buying anything locally just because of the new excise tax. My plan was to have a BOTL order for me, pay the additional shipping (maybe toss them a stick, LOL) and forward to me. California is killing the premium cigar industry with their new tax.
I believe it will end up shutting shops down, which is what the people that came up with Prop 56 wanted. The increased tax makes it almost impossible for a regular cigar smoker (not just 1 or 2 a week) to buy all of their cigars within the state. They'll buy one to smoke at their local B&M –you have to do what you can to support them if you want them to stick around– but most cigar purchases will be with online out-of-state retailers. With a 65.08% state excise tax and sales tax from 7.5-10%, who can blame them?

One thing to keep in mind is that at least the July 1 tax increase did not impact existing stock. We stocked up as much as possible, so many of the cigars will not be more expensive for California customers for some time. And it is noted on each cigar if the California tax will be added. So don't give up on us just yet!

It is very legal for someone else out-of-state to place an order and (edited) they send it as a gift to someone in California, but we can not ship it to the California address without collecting the tax.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe it will end up shutting shops down, which is what the people that came up with Prop 56 wanted. The increased tax makes it almost impossible for a regular cigar smoker (not just 1 or 2 a week) to buy all of their cigars within the state. They'll buy one to smoke at their local B&M –you have to do what you can to support them if you want them to stick around– but most cigar purchases will be with online out-of-state retailers. With a 65.08% state excise tax and sales tax from 7.5-10%, who can blame them?

One thing to keep in mind is that at least the July 1 tax increase did not impact existing stock. We stocked up as much as possible, so many of the cigars will not be more expensive for California customers for some time. And it is noted on each cigar if the California tax will be added. So don't give up on us just yet!

It is very legal for someone else out-of-state to place an order and send a gift to someone in California. What happens after that...I know nothing!
Whoa, wait a sec. So, for example, my "sister in Texas" could place an order on-line from her "home in Texas" and have them shipped directly from Purocigars.com World Headquarters to me in California.....and the CA excise tax would not apply?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cannot do that. The state would look at the order as a shipment to California, regardless of where the order was placed.
I could ship them to your "sister in Texas". I have no control over what happens to the cigars after that, nor am I suggesting skirting the excise and sales tax.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cannot do that. The state would look at the order as a shipment to California, regardless of where the order was placed.
I could ship them to your "sister in Texas". I have no control of what happens to the cigars after that, nor am I suggest skirting the excise and sales tax.
Understand, thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted the gift order comment.....gift orders are often shipped directly to the gift recipient.