What's new

HD TV help

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
so, what's the difference between lcd and led? which tv is best for all around view (like, if you're sitting at an angle). i hear to stay away from plasma. correct? i also understand plasma is the best for an all around view. is this true?

some good 'no interest' deals going on right now... may be a good time to upgrade...

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
so, what's the difference between lcd and led? which tv is best for all around view (like, if you're sitting at an angle). i hear to stay away from plasma. correct? i also understand plasma is the best for an all around view. is this true?

some good 'no interest' deals going on right now... may be a good time to upgrade...
I have a 42 inch Vizio 1080P HD LCD & I love it. Yes stay away from plasma.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
your eyeballs are the best judge. we bought ours a couple of years ago when prices were higher, but the sony bravia blew all the others away. to me.
I'm in agreement here with Bob. When I bought mine several years ago, the Sony Bravia provided the best damn picture....and it still does in my opinion!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In answer to led question. Led is method of backlighting the display. Previously the lcd displays were illuminated with flourescent lamps.

Led reduces power consumption. It increases lamp life. I also have heard it will also provide more versatitlity with future features due to selectable brightness( IE bright to dim to bright in in a very short time frame)

This last statement is the Cliff Claven point of view. If I have time will research and revisit this with more clarity.

Unless anyone can add.....

Peace

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
thanks guys!! i spent a while looking at all the different tv's... wanna 42" for my living room, 32" for my bedroom...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't buy a 1080p unless its 50" or bigger you wont notice the difference and are wasting your money. Samsung all the way for HDTV's. We have 2 Samsung LCD TV's in our household. a 19" and a 46" they both work great

Don't buy a LED now. They are still in the experimental phase.
Also plasma HDTV's will burn a image into the TV if you watch a certain channel. For instance ESPN or CNN the bar on the bottom will be burned into the TV. So if you play video games or watch a certain channel with a bar or something that is there 24/7 go with a LCD HDTV. Visio's are nice but the picture quality isn't as great as a Samsung though.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Don't buy a 1080p unless its 50" or bigger you wont notice the difference and are wasting your money. Samsung all the way for HDTV's. We have 2 Samsung LCD TV's in our household. a 19" and a 46" they both work great

Don't buy a LED now. They are still in the experimental phase.
Also plasma HDTV's will burn a image into the TV if you watch a certain channel. For instance ESPN or CNN the bar on the bottom will be burned into the TV. So if you play video games or watch a certain channel with a bar or something that is there 24/7 go with a LCD HDTV. Visio's are nice but the picture quality isn't as great as a Samsung though.
I have to disagree with you bro. I have a 42 inch Vizio & my picture quality is awsome. Stood up better than most other t.v.'s. As for 1080P not making any difference in a set smaller than 50 inch, I have 1080P & there is definitely a major difference. Just watch a football game in standard def. & then flip to a HD 1080P channel. Of course you do need the HD channels & or a Blue-Ray player. Samsungs are nice as well. I think either brand is a good bye.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have 1080P & there is definitely a major difference. Just watch a football game in standard def. & then flip to a HD 1080P channel. Of course you do need the HD channels & or a Blue-Ray player. Samsungs are nice as well. I think either brand is a good bye.
+++1 when I got my blu-ray it was a difference I didn't think would be there but WOW, it certainly is

BGC

Zach
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Any new plasma won't burn images into the screen. As for LCD's I heard they are getting phased out. The only things that will be around are LED and Plasma that could be a rumor though.
I bought a 42" 720P Panasonic Plasma couldn't justify the extra money for 1080p and a lot of depends on hz anyways 100hz as opposed to 600hz for instance. Looks great to me and has a 100,000hr life expectancy and the screen refreshes to prevent burn in, I think most do now. 720 to 1080 I didn't notice the difference.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Any new plasma won't burn images into the screen. As for LCD's I heard they are getting phased out. The only things that will be around are LED and Plasma that could be a rumor though.
I bought a 42" 720P Panasonic Plasma couldn't justify the extra money for 1080p and a lot of depends on hz anyways 100hz as opposed to 600hz for instance. Looks great to me and has a 100,000hr life expectancy and the screen refreshes to prevent burn in, I think most do now. 720 to 1080 I didn't notice the difference.
I'll have to have you stop over to watch a movie or a game.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have to disagree with you bro. I have a 42 inch Vizio & my picture quality is awsome. Stood up better than most other t.v.'s. As for 1080P not making any difference in a set smaller than 50 inch, I have 1080P & there is definitely a major difference. Just watch a football game in standard def. & then flip to a HD 1080P channel. Of course you do need the HD channels & or a Blue-Ray player. Samsungs are nice as well. I think either brand is a good bye.
720p and 1080p have no difference whatsoever under 50"
You only notice 1080p 50" and over I think
In my opinion HD doesn't mean squat for sports.
HD is great for Movies and Video Games

I myself have 2 Samsung HDTV's. A 19" and 46"

Plus Bluray on my PS3 :)

Last edited:

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
720p and 1080p have no difference whatsoever under 50"
You only notice 1080p 50" and over
In my opinion HD doesn't mean squat for sports.
HD is great for Movies and Video Games

I myself have 2 Samsung HDTV's. A 19" and 46"
Well I guess we can agree to disagree then. That is your opinion & this is mine. I know there is a major difference because I see it, as do others. And as for HD for sports, it makes the games just that much better. It is one of the main reasons to get HD imho. Video games & movies are the other two. Oh well to each their own.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I guess we can agree to disagree then. That is your opinion & this is mine. I know there is a major difference because I see it, as do others. And as for HD for sports, it makes the games just that much better. It is one of the main reasons to get HD imho. Video games & movies are the other two. Oh well to each their own.
Sports are Sports HD isn't going to increase the excitement in my opinion. Unlike a action packed movie or video game.

Last edited:

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Sports are Sports HD isn't going to increase the excitement. Unlike a action packed movie or video game.
Not a sports fan I guess? I think HD adds a lot to any sports game. I think a good game is just as action packed as a movie or video game. But I also am somewhat of a sports nut.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not a sports fan I guess? I think HD adds a lot to any sports game. I think a good game is just as action packed as a movie or video game. But I also am somewhat of a sports nut.
I am a big sports fan.
Hockey Mostly
Football Bores Me Lately - Not enough action. The 45 sec clock is way too long.
They only play 11 minutes of actual football.
The rest is just the clock running.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I am a big sports fan.
Hockey Mostly
Football Bores Me Lately - Not enough action. The 45 sec clock is way too long.
They only play 11 minutes of actual football.
The rest is just the clock running.
I love hockey as well. But I'm bigger into football. I can't get enough of it.