What's new

Headbanger Reverse Contest, Starting Reviews

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
well he did get a ton of premo sticks out of it..

Ha, i know you are getting the winner something

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent contest and reviews Headbanger. :clap:

I have a question and please forgive me if it was covered earlier in the thread:

Upon completion of the contest will the brands be revealed?

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Excellent contest and reviews Headbanger. :clap:

I have a question and please forgive me if it was covered earlier in the thread:

Upon completion of the contest will the brands be revealed?
I hate to answer for Headbanger, but I would have to think the answer is yes, they will be revealed as well as who sent them. :waving:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Not sure about the winners, but Steve let it slip that the names, addresses, phone numbers and birthdays of the 4th - 10th place contestants will be given to the manufacturer of Herfdogs. :santa:

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ headbanger: When I read your description of the contest, it seemed so odd that anyone would send you the sticks. Now that I read the reviews and consider your methods (category form, blind tasting, water only), I am intrigued. Keep up the great reviews.

@ contestants: Please, at the end of the contest, reveal the sticks! These are very high-quality reviews, and considering the blind tasting, hold more than average credibility in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player C, Stick 2, Overall score is 96

Appearance and Construction: 17 of 20

This estimated 6 ½ x 42 cigar sported a very wrinkled medium brown wrapper. No large veins, but there were water spots, a few small cracks and had some small wrapper pieces missing. Pretty rough appearance and had a few bulges as well. This cigar is pretty old and was miss handled or over handled in it’s lifetime, so some leniency was given. The smell was pure aged tobacco, just lovely. At first glance, you would think this was a “seconds” cigar.

Pre-lit draw 10 of 10

Took well to the cutter, nice firm draw but yielding. The tastes of mature tobacco with nice grassy profile and faint cocoa.

Burning and lighting 15 of 15

The burn started straight and lit easily. Needed no touch ups along the way. Burned straight as a stick can. The stick burned at a perfect pace. The ash was light grey with near black stripes. Very interesting, if in fact old as thought would be more of a solid white.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 30 of 30

I knew within a couple puffs, this cigar was special. After 5 puffs, I knew the brand and origins. There was a smooth as silk beany/smooth milk chocolate start with grassy background with citrus like orange peels (Think . Then opened up to light creamy coffee, still smooth as silk that added darker chocolate to the mix. The finish was heavier coffee with cream. Very complex, hard to describe ALL the flavors that came out. This cigar smoked very elegantly and felt like it was a special occasion. The volume was medium to full amounts, never getting harsh nor bitter. Very consistent and damn good.

Overall Finish: 9 of 10

The lingering taste which lasted a very long time was the creamy coffee. This was thick on the tongue and throat that lasted for hours.

Summary: 15 of 15

This stick lasted me 80 minutes. The entire time from the first puffs, I did not want to take my focus off if this one. Definitely a $10 plus dollar cigar, with the age on it more like $13 bucks. Was a cigar of real substance. I would say this stick would be about 10 years old. I would further say it might be beyond it’s peak of flavor and heading to needing lots more time to become a classic. Whomever gifted this stick, I would suggest if there are any remaining you smoke them very soon or rest another 10+ years. Thanks for sharing this stick.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player A, Stick 2, Overall score is 72
earnold25 - Romeo y Juliet, Reserva Real

Appearance and Construction: 18 of 20

This estimated 6x50 cigar was light brown w/ almost green tint to it. Zero blemishes, no noticeable veins and smooth as silk. The feel was firm, strong, and felt heavy in the hand. There was not much smell to the stick itself. Looked lovely, minus the green hue.

Pre-lit draw 9 of 10

The Palio needed 2 cuts as the large RG was tough to cut the first time was too rough to smoke. The draw was very firm, giving me some concern. Has a nice spice that gave a little tingle to the tongue.

Burning and lighting 12 of 15

Due to large RG, tough to get it going, took a while. The draw started off a little bad but got better in about an inch as did the tight draw. The draw opened up nicely. The ash was flaky and dropped off a few times, was a nice looking solid light grey.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 21 of 30

The beginning part of this stick was sugary and gave off a cashew like nutty flavor, very pleasant beginning third. Unfortunately it went downhill from here. The second third started like molasses pretty well, but gave way to a papery taste (ick). Later on turned flat as a board and then went to the ashtray taste and smoke. Not very complex. Gave of decent volume of smoke, but not sure that was in the good way.

Overall Finish: 5 of 10

There were little redeeming qualities remaining once this stick was laid to rest. The ashtray mouth was not very pleasant to say the least. Could not wait to brush my teeth to rid the tastes.

Summary: 7 of 15

This stick lasted me 76 minutes, laying it to rest about 2" remaining as I could not continue any longer. I honestly think this type of cigar if just not to my liking not fit my profile. Came off as recently store bought, very fresh-like. I would probably not purchase this cigar, most likely a Honduran or Dominican blended stick. I would estimate this to be a $5.00 to $5.75 price range stick, mostly based on the large amount of tobacco. Thanks for sharing this stick.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player B, Stick 2, Overall score is 84
Halon - Tatuaje, Noellas Reserva

Appearance and Construction: 19 of 20

This estimated 5 1/8 x 40 very nice looking maduro. No veins, nor water or sun spots. Cap and feet looked excellent. No divots or soft spots. Had a cooked tobacco smell to it.

Pre-lit draw 9 of 10

Took well to the Palio cutter and revealed a too firm draw. The draw was typical maduro earthy and sweet. The taste on the lips was also earthy with little saltiness.

Burning and lighting 14 of 15

The burn on this was very good. This stick always self corrected and needed only slight touch ups. Overall burn was very good. Took well to one purge. The draw was too tight, making me work at times to yield the smoke volume I like. The ash held well, was silver and lt. grey.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 25 of 30

From the first puff, was tastes of wet earth, very creamy and smooth (mmmmm good). Has slight grassy backgrounds too. Mid was was still earthy, but added like day old light coffee flavors. The last third went almost flat and muted that gave me the dreeded ashtray mouth. When it was not too tight, the smoke yield was good.

Overall Finish: 7 of 10

Yet another cigar that started off very good, then went way south. The lingering flavors on the pallet were coffee and ash.

Summary: 10 of 15

This stick lasted me 68 minutes, putting it down with 1" remaining. Surprisingly mild strength for a maduro, medium bodied stick. Not sure of the origin and not familiar with this cigar. I would estimate close to $5.00 range. Started off well and thought was aged, later it changed as did my thoughts of the stick. Thanks for sharing this cigar with me.