What's new

Healthy Snack Food Ideas

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Whatcha got for snack food ideas? I am trying to lose weight, looking for snack foods that are not necessarily for rabbits like carrots or broccoli.

I love red seedless grapes. I totally love golden raisins. Trail type mixes are good but can have lots of fat. Wheat thins multi gran are decent.

Looking for ideas for normal stuff or other things I did not think of. Thinking about getting one of those dehydrators.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
You hit grapes, I also love Bananas & apples. At night my main snack/desert is either 100 calorie popcorn or Red Velvet Cake Yoplait.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this may sound odd, but instead of trying to find fruits and snacks that are going to be mostly filled with carbs, and artificial flavors, try going to between 4 and 6 small meals a day. You want something that is a good source of protein. Studies have shown that those who take in more protein burn more calories. Plus you will not feel as hungry or have the need to snack. I used to do the 6 meals a few years ago. It worked awesome. I was also working out regularly. It made the world of difference. I dropped weight consistently and put on lean muscle.

This may not be what you are trying to do, and that is cool. If you do choose to go with fruits and veggies, then I would suggest cranberries, blueberries, cherries, banana, cantaloupe and honeydew. All awesome sources of vitamins. However, fruits are basically carbs. If you want to try something different, go with low fat yogurt. Freeze the yogurt in the container, and it tastes like icecream (sort of.) If you have some protein powder around, blend it with some low fat yogurt, some of the fruits I mentioned, and a little fat free milk. The key there is having the fruit which is a carb, but also having a protein with it. This way you are not just bringing in sugars. Stay away from protein bars, unless they are low fat, and low sugar. Otherwise you are just eating a candy bar.

I really can't think of any snacks you can buy, that will help you. Most are just carb sources, or high in sugars. Good luck bro, and I hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Thanks all, I use to reach for chips and cookies as snacks so about anything is going to be better for me. I am now eating 5 times a day; smaller breakfast, lunch, and dinner then snack type foods in between and spacing them about 3 hours apart. I never seem totally full but am never totally hungry either. I drink about 8 glasses of water too, tired of going piss all the time that is for sure.

Josh.CHI

The Dude abides
Rating - 81.8%
10   2   0
I Mix those 60 calorie low fat yogurts with a good spoonful of 1% cottage cheese. May sound off but, it is tasty and a filling low calorie snack

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've been eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats (deer) for the past 2 weeks. I also cut out all soda and sweet tea. On that alone, I'm 15 pounds lighter. There are a lot of jerky snacks that are high protein/low fat, but more sodium than you may want. Fruit works for me and a small cup of coffee if I'm still hungry. I've also read that cayenne pepper and other hot peppers increases metabolism. I've been putting cayenne power on my veggies.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Headbanger,
Good luck with the weight-loss. I just remembered a great book I read. I think I have it on CD somewhere. "Burn the fat, feed the muscle."

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Cottage cheese mentioned twice. Not tried in years, maybe I need to re visit that stuff.
Thanks for the idea Josh.

Apples, banannas, almonds, triscuts, Freeze the yogurt in the container, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, cantaloupe, and honeydew. all good stuff right there.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I've been eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats (deer) for the past 2 weeks. I also cut out all soda and sweet tea. On that alone, I'm 15 pounds lighter. There are a lot of jerky snacks that are high protein/low fat, but more sodium than you may want. Fruit works for me and a small cup of coffee if I'm still hungry. I've also read that cayenne pepper and other hot peppers increases metabolism. I've been putting cayenne power on my veggies.

FIRST time ever I read health label on soda, 20oz regular ginger ale with 220 cals and about 20% of your carb per day. No more soda for me unless diet and coffee intake down 50% to start. I LOVE the idea of cayenne powder, might try that too.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Raw almonds or Walnuts are a good healthy snack. That's what I usually snack on in the late afternoon. My day kinda goes like this

Yogurt for breakfast
Power bar 15 - 30 min before my mid-day workout
EAS shake after my work out
Almonds or walnuts in the late afternoon
Reasonable dinner
If I just have to have something later in the night I'll make a Fruit smoothie.

It's been working so far. Lost 20 lbs. Trying to fight through a bit of a plateau at the moment though.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Booty: It's a low calorie snack, plus you can get a good workout.

Basically Steve, eat whole foods, none of that processed crap. A boiled egg, fruits, nuts veggies are all great. Try adding some spices to make them more interesting.

Most importantly, start counting calories. It's all about calories. Less calories and more exercise equals weight loss.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Basically Steve, eat whole foods, none of that processed crap. A boiled egg, fruits, nuts veggies are all great. Try adding some spices to make them more interesting.

Most importantly, start counting calories. It's all about calories. Less calories and more exercise equals weight loss.
This was our diet plan, and it worked great in the past. Need to get back to it again, but counting calories was a major help. I used FitDay software to help out with the counting and by making yourself accountable for every single thing you eat. Thinking twice about each food made us both make much better decisions.

The other major change I made, was as Greg stated-switch to whole foods. I prefer to eat real food, and not food with a bunch of weird preservatives and crap thrown in there. I'll take high calorie real butter, over margarine, etc. It does add up to a few more calories-but they taste better, and I feel better.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Booty: It's a low calorie snack, plus you can get a good workout.
Different kind of Booty....but there is a thing called Pirates Booty. Low cal/fat chip type options. My son eats em', and loves it. They do a popcorn, and cheese puff, and prolly more that I don't know of. Maybe it's a local company though, i don't know...never looked.

I'll second the Hummus suggestion. The regular is good, and especially the Black Bean Hummus, and a Whole Wheat Tortilla. Very good.

And if you love Grapes, try em' frozen. Are a great evening snack to get that dessert craving out of the way....should you have one. Non-Fat Jello Pudding is also a good evening snack.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don´t know if you know quark in the US?
Translates to curd cheese...
I love quark with herbs or Tzaziki with celery, carrots or cucumbers.

And 100g of the low fat variant have only around 100 cals.

Yoghurt with herbs also works well as a dip for veggies!