What's new

Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
just ordered another pound of 60% like a minute ago.
gonna put those in and take the other ones out to see what happens...

Danilo

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put the beads in this afternoon and it's been at 78 since. I've also had DI water and cedar in there the past few days. How long does it usually take for the RH to stabilize. This is a 28 bottle wineador.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I put the beads in this afternoon and it's been at 78 since. I've also had DI water and cedar in there the past few days. How long does it usually take for the RH to stabilize. This is a 28 bottle wineador.
it'll take a few hours at least.... depends on how much you have in there compared to the recommended amount.

mine took about a half day to pin in where it is at now. (not where I want it... but stable)

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it'll take a few hours at least.... depends on how much you have in there compared to the recommended amount.

mine took about a half day to pin in where it is at now. (not where I want it... but stable)
Thanks for the reply. It's still around the low 80s after almost 24 hours. I wonder if I need to plug the drain hole better.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Thanks for the reply. It's still around the low 80s after almost 24 hours. I wonder if I need to plug the drain hole better.
the drain needs to be taped over... and you need to have the beads mostly dry if you are trying to bring humidity down...

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
80% humidity?
he had distilled water and cedar in there for a few days... the cedar might have taken in too much humidity, and it'll be days before it comes down.
maybe if it's dry in your area, leave the door open for an hour, and check then...

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
the drain needs to be taped over... and you need to have the beads mostly dry if you are trying to bring humidity down...
Ive mentioned before. I would think it be best to plug the drain. However in my case. My 1st vino I never have. Year and a half later and still 64% humi. Just a fyi. I dont think it affects it as much as people think. IMO.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I shaved down a rubber eraser and put it in the stop for now. I'll throw some tape or putty over that as well. About 90% of the beads are clear so I may have added too much DI water. I'll leave the door open and possibly try to dry out some of the beads and see how it goes. Thanks!

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I shaved down a rubber eraser and put it in the stop for now. I'll throw some tape or putty over that as well. About 90% of the beads are clear so I may have added too much DI water. I'll leave the door open and possibly try to dry out some of the beads and see how it goes. Thanks!
yup... too many clear beads is not good to bring down humidity

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to leave the door open for a bit and dry out the beads. We have a nice sunny day so I'll see if that will work, if not I'll resort to the blow dryer. Thanks guys!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Well... I feel like an idiot. I purchased the large 65 beads in a tube, and to be honest - i have a hard time telling what color they are unless i carefully exam them. It seems even after "resupplying" them they still appear white... is this due to the tube itself? or is my eyesight just getting awful? Perhaps what background I have the tube against?

I don't know... sorta rambling... just seeing if anybody has any tips for either a blind fool or a dumb fool

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well... I feel like an idiot. I purchased the large 65 beads in a tube, and to be honest - i have a hard time telling what color they are unless i carefully exam them. It seems even after "resupplying" them they still appear white... is this due to the tube itself? or is my eyesight just getting awful? Perhaps what background I have the tube against?

I don't know... sorta rambling... just seeing if anybody has any tips for either a blind fool or a dumb fool
Hold it up to sunlight or any light and you'll be able to tell if they are white. you can also pop off the cap and look that way.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Left them out in the sun for a few hours. They're about 75% clear. Let the fridge air out a bit, threw the beads in, about 1-2 hours later it was stabilized right around 65. Made the transfer of my sticks and all is well so far. Worked out good. Glad to have it all up and running. I taped over the drain hole as well and put some beads back there to soak up the condensation.

Good luck getting your RH levels figured out Danilo. Hopefully that extra pounds helps out. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Alright, pound # 2 is in, DRY. I added no water to it.
move the 1st pound (30-40% clear now) up top... it was reading 61% when I moved the beads.
the new pound is at the bottom (mid and bottom, 2x 1/2 pounds) and was 71% when I put it in.

Let's see how this goes.

28 bottle avanti, 2 pounds of 60% beads, 1 oust fan.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Well... this is not going well... I'm starting to become upset!

I got 2 pounds of beads total... 1 pound had water added to em at some point in time... the other pound went in dry over 36 hours ago...
The wine cooler is 28 bottles... there are 6 boxes 4 avarage size, 2 larger(1 is a VSG wizzards box... HUGE, and the other is a LFD Limitado 2 box... LARGE)
-1/2 pound of beads at the top next to a bundle of Dracs (sealed in paper) 5er box of Cain F and an opus coffin.
-1/2 pound of beads in the middle, resting on some boxes, mostly dry
-1/2 pound over the sealed drain. DRY DRY DRY
-1/2 pound on the lowest shelf (about 4'' above the previous's height, but in the front)

There is no reason that 2 pounds of 60% beads has my humidor at 60% at the top, and 68% at the bottom (it's down from 72% yesterday thank god)

There is an Oust fan in there as well... just for shits and giggles I guess, cause it did not change anything other than my wallet being a bit lighter...

SOMEONE PLEASE!!!
Tell me what is going on...
What can I do?
What should I do?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
i don't know if this will help at all but, i had a similar issue when i first got my edgestar unit. humidity spiked up to 85% for a couple of days. i took everything out and left the door open for three days, then i re-sealed the drainage hole in the back. after that i put 7 boveda 65% packs in for a day and after it stabilized i threw everything back in, and swapped out the boveda packets for beads. ever since i've had no problems... hope that is some help.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Wait... these things can take time, your cigars are safe, my Vino fluctuated for months before it got rock solid. Every cigar will store and release humidity. it will take time for them all to agree with the beads.

Also, if your cigars were not temp controled. Now, you have a major game changer, what was 65% at 80 degrees in not the same amount of moisture at 65 degrees. If it climbs as it may, keep a tub of Damp Rid from the grocery store around to keep bringing it down below 75. Just keep them safe and wait.

Well... this is not going well... I'm starting to become upset!

I got 2 pounds of beads total... 1 pound had water added to em at some point in time... the other pound went in dry over 36 hours ago...
The wine cooler is 28 bottles... there are 6 boxes 4 avarage size, 2 larger(1 is a VSG wizzards box... HUGE, and the other is a LFD Limitado 2 box... LARGE)
-1/2 pound of beads at the top next to a bundle of Dracs (sealed in paper) 5er box of Cain F and an opus coffin.
-1/2 pound of beads in the middle, resting on some boxes, mostly dry
-1/2 pound over the sealed drain. DRY DRY DRY
-1/2 pound on the lowest shelf (about 4'' above the previous's height, but in the front)

There is no reason that 2 pounds of 60% beads has my humidor at 60% at the top, and 68% at the bottom (it's down from 72% yesterday thank god)

There is an Oust fan in there as well... just for shits and giggles I guess, cause it did not change anything other than my wallet being a bit lighter...

SOMEONE PLEASE!!!
Tell me what is going on...
What can I do?
What should I do?

Thanks!