What's new

Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I think you have issues with your hydros, as this isn't a huge space you are dealing with. To have a 8% difference in that small of a space I don't think is possible when everything is working correctly or even incorrectly. I mean one set of beads could be really wet throwing out a lot of humidity, but if that is the case pull them out and let them dry out a little or vice versa for the other beads. Do you have leaks in the cooler somewhere, drain holes plugged, seal is sealing correctly? Seal around the fan assembly as maybe that doesn't seal 100%. These weren't built to hold humidity, they were built to hold temperature and whether they are good at it or not we don't know as they could just run more than they should to make up for shortcomings.

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Well I have my heartfelt beads up and running and all I can say is, wow! They work great, much better than all that gel stuff I had before. :grin::grin::grin:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Is it anything to be concerned about that there is little white flakes falling out of my beads tube? There isn't massive quantities, but rather be safe than sorry as they say... haha

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

I've got a question about how to use a specific heartfelt product. I've got the heartfelt rectangular case that can be found on http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HBC_L_65 . My issue is that I've been adding water to them with the squirt bottle that was supplied with them at the time. I haven't had an issue for some time, but now when i look through the window on the backside of the humidifier i see that there is what looks like mold coming through. I've removed this from my humidor for the time being to see if there is anything i can do about this (I'm assuming not though).

Also, I'd like to know the proper method of re-moistening these beads, since the squirt bottle has rendered this mold, even though when i add the water i make sure that i only moisten about half of the beads.

I looked through the thread and saw that people are using a spray bottle when they are in a dish, but i don't think that would work for this case due to the 4 windows not letting you spray easily onto the unit.

-help appreciated-

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh of course. I've had Glacier mist going in there recently and before that had been using poland spring distilled with no problem from CVS.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Is there any way to "train" the heartfelt beads like you can do to the shillala beads( or whatever they are called)
Like someone that has 70% wanting them to hold at a bit lower... something like that?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Anyone ever mix 65% and 70% beads? I'd like to store my smokes somewhere in the middle. Currently have 1lbs of 65% Or if someone wants beads I'll sell and buy 2 lbs of 70%.

Thanks.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Is there any way to "train" the heartfelt beads like you can do to the shillala beads( or whatever they are called)
Like someone that has 70% wanting them to hold at a bit lower... something like that?
Viper?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
These are specificly designed to hold at that RH. So I do not think so. It took a while to train my kitty litter and it was frustrating as hell. I have to be careful when adding water, not to add too much, because it will get the RH to rise too much. I wish I could get my hands on some Heartfelt beads, but it'll cut into my cigar budget which is almost non-existent.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Can someone explain the difference between storing smokes at 65% and 70%? Is one preferred for aging? Does one generally smoke better?

In my extremely limited testing I find 70% stored smokes burn a lot better and are less prone to cracking. I've got a pound of 65% beads I'm thinking of selling for 70%, but before I do I want to get the scoop.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Jocob... you gotta go with what works best for you!
I like my smokes on the dry side, but 2 pounds of beads could not keep the humidity at 60 where I wanted it... (wasted money, cause I have 2 pounds of worthless 60% beads) I bought 2 pounds of 65% and it works.

If you like em at 70%, go for 70%. It is said that aging for long times is done better at lower humidity... My smokes do fine at 65, so I'm sticking with that.
It's really a matter of how you like it...

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Word, thanks boss.

One more question... I'm going to split my pound up into thirds and place one on top, middle, and bottom. I bought some pantyhose to serve as the baggies. Is it OK to leave the pantyhosed beads on the humidor wood directly or is a non-permeable barrier of some type (platic) required?

Thanks!

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I have beads directly on a spanish cedar tray, and have not had a problem, and the beads I had in bags where straight on cedar with no problems either. at most a minor wet spot from adding water to the beads, but they really only need a few drops.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
It is my understanding, whether Heartfelt or Shalia's beads, you do want to allow room for proper air circulation around the beads.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
It is my understanding, whether Heartfelt or Shalia's beads, you do want to allow room for proper air circulation around the beads.
I'm not the only person keeping them in a tray, and they are performing fantasticaly in the tray I have them in, There is a fan that blows over the top of them, and the humidity at the bottom of my humidor with 1 pound is just about where I want it (65% give or take)
At the top where I have another pound in bags, also with a fan, I am having issues where it stays lower than I would like it to. I am constantly adding water to those.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks-New to this site.

I, too, am a very satisfied bead user for about 5 yeasrs now. Just this morning, I notice that the beads are flaking and powdering. I searched the site and noticed that someone asked the same qudestion some time ago, but it was never answered. ("Is it anything to be concerned about that there is little white flakes falling out of my beads tube? There isn't massive quantities, but rather be safe than sorry as they say...".) Humidity is fine in both boxes so far. However, I wonder if I should rememdy this-perhaps the beads, like myself, are aging and need to be put out to pasture?

Final (and embarassing) question-My only problem with this system is keeping the aluminum bead holders securely attached to the top underside of tghe humidor. No matter how much belcro I paste onto them, they never adhere solidly. This leads, sometimes, to the humidifers landing on the cigars and causing mildew. Anyone have a fool-proof system to recommend?

Thanks so much-
JS

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I'm seeing the same thing; flakey, sand-size granuals falling out of my mesh bags. I attribute that to the way I've been adding water. I have failed to mist them a few times and have slowly dripped water into the bags. The beads will crack if water is applied too quickly. This shouldn't affect the bead's performance, it just might get dusty after a while if you move them too much.