What's new

Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Best method I've come across is the oven. Set your oven for 200 and put the beads in a clean oven safe dish/container.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didnt want to take a risk by using the oven, thanks though Jwrussell I was just too paranoid id make a mistake and ruin them.

I just put them in an empty humidor I had and within the past day both discs are dry and the beads as white and rattleing around as the day the arrived.

Guess I need to reseason that humi before I use it again though, lol

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
When I want to dry out my Heartfelt beads quickly, I put them in a large flat plastic/glass container and run the hair dryer over them set on warm.
Don't get it too close or as they dry and get lighter, they'll start flying around everywhere.
Takes about 5 minutes for 1/2lb.

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In regards to the bead holding humidity issue:

I know yet another bead thread, but this is a strange one. I have 2 ounces of 65% HF beads in my 100 ct desktop humidor that I seasoned for a week (see thread) and both of my digitals (both recently calibrated with boveda calibration kit) are reading between 69-70% :confused: I used the formula to see if I'm using enough beads and according to my humidor dimensions, 2 OZ. is plenty.

In my 54 ct. coolidor with four cedar trays, and 5-6 boxes of sticks, I am using the remaining 14 oz. of beads in a dish and my digital is reading 65%. I swapped out digital hygrometers just to see if there was a difference, and the desktop digital (from my cooler) ended up going up to 70%, and the digital in my desktop (that I moved to my cooler) ended up going down to 65%. It's my understanding that adding more than enough beads won't increase RH but will only improve the overall efficiency of said beads...........so what gives? How is it possible that 65% beads are holding RH in a seasoned humidor half full of sticks at 70%?

Update: I recently took out my beads from the tube in my desktop, and they were entirely all clear.....which would explain the reason why the beads couldn't absorb excess during humidity spikes. I used the hairdryer method, and placed them back into my humidor. Updates to fallow. Doubt I received a bad batch, as the 14 oz. of 65% beads in my coolidor are holding steady at 65.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I love my Heartfelt beads. I dont know why anybody would use anything else...As much as I spend on cigars a onetime $30 investment goes a long way...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Update: I recently took out my beads from the tube in my desktop, and they were entirely all clear.....which would explain the reason why the beads couldn't absorb excess during humidity spikes. I used the hairdryer method, and placed them back into my humidor. Updates to fallow. Doubt I received a bad batch, as the 14 oz. of 65% beads in my coolidor are holding steady at 65.
Sounds like you found your answer, but keep us posted. Setting up a new humi is always a tad bit tricky. The cedar could be a bit overhumidified from the seasoning process and the cigars could have been a bit overhumidified as well.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think it took about 5 days for my 1/2 pound of beads to get my coolidor to 65%, adding water to them every day, and leaving a glass of water in there with them. It's all settled now.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
OK so I have my pound of 65% beads in my coolidor after reading the above post would it be safe to say that my coolior should be at 65% in 5 or so days.

Also I did have some cigars that were getting a little dry, about how long should it take to get them back on the correct track.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK so I have my pound of 65% beads in my coolidor after reading the above post would it be safe to say that my coolior should be at 65% in 5 or so days.
Depends on the situation in the cooler and condition of cigars when you put them in, but in general, yes.

Also I did have some cigars that were getting a little dry, about how long should it take to get them back on the correct track.
How dry? What kind of RH were we dealing with before? Hard to say.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Depends on the situation in the cooler and condition of cigars when you put them in, but in general, yes.

How dry? What kind of RH were we dealing with before? Hard to say.
My coolior got to about 55%, which is why I finally switched to beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I don't have an exact time frame for you, other than SLOWLY. And as to the 5 days, I would say no, and that you don't WANT the RH to be 65% in 5 days. 55% to 65% is going to be a pretty big swing for your cigars. I don't know how you are storing your cigars in there, but if there is a lot of cedar in the cooler (boxes, etc.) that will be taking up moisture as well (this is a good thing).

A couple of assumptions:
I assume you have a recently calibrated hygro in there.
I assume your coolidor has a nice tight seal (most do).

Unless you are around your humi all day long this will be difficult, but do your best with your situation. If possible, watch the hygro and as soon as it hits between 58-60% RH (this is when those remote units come in really handy), remove the beads for a day to a small, tight sealing container so they don't lose a bunch of moisture and have to be reloaded, and check the RH again. If it is steady or dropped back down, repeat step one. Keep doing this until you get back up to 65%.

The above recommendation would be "at minimum". You might want to give the cigars a couple to three days at each interval before adding the beads back in just to be extra careful. You are trying to guard against splitting wrappers left and right from the cigars swelling too quickly from the reintroduction of moisture.

Hope this helps.

blind2reason

My Mom Thinks I'm Cool
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my beads! Definitely appreciate the free shipping for military. Thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viper139 said:

"He is correct. The additional beads will not drive the rh up higher, they will maintain the 65% rh."

Would you agree that "better" could be appended to the above? Two cylinders per humidor would emit a, so to speak, stronger 65 rH signal?

I ask as the three bead cylinders that I bought, one for each of my three humidors, that were supposed to maintain 65 rH, didn't. My hygrometers that were calibrated with the Boveda kit Viper sent me free (what a guy!!!) measured the rH I achieved, with the three bead cylinders, at 65 rH or lower; thus I put standard humidifiers into my humidors with the beads, and since then my readings have been good, 63 rH to 68 rH.

I don't want to use standard humidifiers, just beads. I want a steady 65 rH.

I'm not blaming the beads or Viper, but from what I can tell, having read this entire thread, if I remove the standard humidifiers and insert three more cylinders, and keep one in the tray and one below, I should get consistent 65 rH.

Yes?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The beads will maintain 65% humitidity if you keep 75% clear 25%white. Just remember that when you first put the beads in it takes time for the beads to reach equilibrium with your humidor, could take up to 2 weeks so give it time.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't have an exact time frame for you, other than SLOWLY. And as to the 5 days, I would say no, and that you don't WANT the RH to be 65% in 5 days. 55% to 65% is going to be a pretty big swing for your cigars.
If your cigars already came from a 65% environment, then 5 days is not a big deal, and from the perspective of the cigars there is no swing. Its just a matter of the RH of the air in the box to get acclimated.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I baked mine in the oven (at low temp) to dry 'em out when they got too saturated. Worked fine...just need to keep an eye on 'em.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If your cigars already came from a 65% environment, then 5 days is not a big deal, and from the perspective of the cigars there is no swing. Its just a matter of the RH of the air in the box to get acclimated.
My post was made on the assumption that we were dealing with cigars stored in a 55% environment. Hence the following part of my post that you did not quote:

JWRussell said:
The above recommendation would be "at minimum". You might want to give the cigars a couple to three days at each interval before adding the beads back in just to be extra careful. You are trying to guard against splitting wrappers left and right from the cigars swelling too quickly from the reintroduction of moisture.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a couple Drymistats for my cigar box. Once I get home I plan to buy heartfelt beads for a future "proper" humidor, probably a 50 stick humidor.

Now, the Drymistat tubes are 70% tubes. What if I get 65% beads and keep both the 65% beads and 70% Drymistat in the humidor? Will the beads suck water till the Drymistat tubes are dry? Or will they co-exist in a friendly manner?

As an aside, I would have gotten the beads, but their site is "closed" until June 1st, and I need something now.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
the beads will will work to keep the RH at 65% until they are saturated and then they will cease do absorb any additional humidity. They would not really work well together.