What's new

Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
But in a stocking, won't the water start to pool in the bottom of the humidor, leading to swelling/mold?

Or do you do the method where you soak the beads in a dish of water until clear, then drain them well and place in the stocking?

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
If you have water pooling, you're using waaaay too much water. Just a few cc's is all you need. Get yourself a 5ml syringe at Walgreens or something and use that to moisten your beads.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
If you have water pooling, you're using waaaay too much water. Just a few cc's is all you need. Get yourself a 5ml syringe at Walgreens or something and use that to moisten your beads.

Well all of the bead products I've bought have instructed to place the beads in a dish of water for about 30 seconds until they all go clear.

So...the instructions are wrong??

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Also, if you soak the beads you run the risk of them overfilling and breaking. You only want around half of the beads to be clear. I think of it this way: the clear ones put out humidity, while the white ones absorb excess humidity.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Well all of the bead products I've bought have instructed to place the beads in a dish of water for about 30 seconds until they all go clear.

So...the instructions are wrong??
When I first got my bead I was told to make them all clear the FIRST time, after that keep 'em around 50/50 clear/white.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
OK but once they're soaked that first time, and I drain them of any excess water, I can put them in a stocking and not worry about them pooling water, right? Because they'll expel it through the atmosphere, not by having it pool.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Right. When I hydrated mine the first time, after I put them in the sock I shook out the excess water (gently). Then I wrapped it in a paper towel for just a few seconds to make sure I got the excess.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
But in a stocking, won't the water start to pool in the bottom of the humidor, leading to swelling/mold?

Or do you do the method where you soak the beads in a dish of water until clear, then drain them well and place in the stocking?
Straight from the first post.
The method I use and prefer is using a spray bottle. I purchased an inexpensive spray bottle at the grocery store and filled it with distilled water. When the beads need water I just spray them until they have absorbed enough distilled water.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Straight from the first post.
The method I use and prefer is using a spray bottle. I purchased an inexpensive spray bottle at the grocery store and filled it with distilled water. When the beads need water I just spray them until they have absorbed enough distilled water.

Yes, I read the first post :)

I just - like I said - got confused when the instructions that came with the beads tell me something different than what people are telling me here.

But it's clear now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what happens if you put differing beads in your humidor? say half 65 and half 70? with they maintain a median RH? or would that be like dividing by zero and kill us all?

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I have half 65 & half 70 in my humi, some on top, some on bottom, and mine sits around 68 with no problems. I don't know if it's the "correct" thing to do, but my cigars haven't imploded yet!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I just bought a pound of 60% beads 2 weeks ago. They've been in my tupperdor since then, but it's still hovering between 65% and 67%, which is what it was doing with the 65% beads.

The sticks inside are on the moist side, but it's my understanding that the beads will simply have to work harder i that case, but will still get the area to that desired rH. I am using the right amount of beads based on the HF website.

Any thoughts?

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have 1lb 65% in a small humi. I noticed the temp will play a big role in the RH.
The lower the temp, the lower the RH. My humi lives in my wine fridge and is at 15c with RH inside the humi at 62%.
Are the beads saturated? If take them out for about 30-60 min to reduce their saturation level, then put them back in and are if they soak up the excess moisture.

Any other ideas guys?
Posted via Mobile Device