What's new

Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
As for distribution of beads, I have a few recommendations (of course this varies on the size of the humidor)

First of all - IT's always cheaper to buy the beads buy the pound or the half pound (because then you aren't paying for the container, and you have more beads to use! Hell, if you can't use them, you can always sell them in the Trading Section. Everyone needs more beads!)

Second - For containers. Run out to Wal-Mart or Target, and buy a set of nylon stockings (yup, you will get weird looks.) The shearest, thinnest stockings they have. You can use these to make the bead pouches. IT's $.97 at my local walmart, and you can make 15-20 baseball sized pouches out of just one pair.

Third - Size of pouch. I've used heartfelt beads in everything from 25ct humidors to 28 bottle wine coolers (and that's just me. Some people use standing fridges!) In my experience (and by general consensus), the more surface area of the beads showing, the better. That's why I don't make one big 1lb log of beads. I have 9 pouches per wine cooler. In my wine coolers, the bead sacks are a bit smaller than a baseball, and I have 9-12 per humidor. In the 25ct humidors, I used a single golf-ball sized sack, and in a 100 count humidor, 3-4 golf ball sized pouches. This allows you to distribute the bead sacks around so that humidity is more normalized throughout the humidor (only one of my wine coolers has computer fans built into it, so many small pouches of beads is the only way my humidity spreads through the whole humi.)

Any other questions?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I were to just buy the beads, and put them in nylons or some sort of pouch, would I just leave the pouches sitting on the cigars themselves?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Finally made the jump...got tired of the crap foam fluctuating so much. Just ordered 1/2 pound of 65%. Can't wait to stabilize my humi permanently.

Edit:

Got my beads, have my humi set at a rock solid 65% now and super stoked! Smoking a perfect burn Undercrown right now to celebrate. Many thanks.

Last edited:

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I just got a lling of 70% beads. I am now worried that I should have gone 65. Is there a way to lower rh by having a greater% of beads white rather than clear? I am going to let the coolidor settle down for a week or so and hopefully things will be fine. Wish me luck.
Has anyone figured out a way to place the beads thst works really well without talking up too much cargo room? Currently using the nylon stocking method.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Yes with some experimenting you should be able to find that balance to hit 65% may be more hassle that it's worth.

I use the tubes sold on heartfelt site, a bit pricey by work well and the small and medium tubes take up the space as a cigar would.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps this has been asked before.....but I recently purchased the 65% stick but the outer material prevents me from seeing the ideal 75% clear bead point. Is there a trick to rehydrating (prevent over-hydrating) the beads?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know why the HF beads turn yellowish? Just some background, I've been using the beads for about six months now, never sprayed my beads and use the passive rehydration method. I'm pretty sure the color doesn't mean diminished performance or anything, just wondering what would cause the discoloration or if anyone has noticed the same with their beads. Thanks in advance!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are also yellow. I don't know why. Maybe it is similar to cellophane yellowing over time. It could be from out gassing of residual ammonia perhaps causing oxidation?

Just a guess.

The beads seem to work just fine even when yellow.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These beads are awesome! I put a lb in my humidor a couple weeks ago and it hasn't budged from 65% since.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just ordered a half pound and a mesh bag for my new humidor, super excited. Going to have to snag a spray bottle from walmart when i can to rehidrate them eventually.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yikes!! Got an attack of black mold.

I've been using HF beads since July '08. Been a huge fan and have referred many. Got a scare last night, however. Opened a cooler and was happy to note the hygrometer right at 65RH. However, when I looked at the bowl of beads, I found a LOT of black mold covering the nylon HF bag and beads. (Camera on my phone isn't working or I'd post up pics.) I use the HF mesh bags (1#) filleed with about 1/3# beads setting in a tupperware bowl. I charged them up about two weeks ago the same way I always do, by pouring distilled water over the bag, waiting a minute, then pouring the excess water out of the bowl.
I checked every box in the cooler and fortunately, there was no apparent mold on any cigars (though some 04 RyJ's looked to have some slightly greenish areas on the wrappers, it doesn't appear to be mold.)

- I've previously never had any mold problems whatsoever. I'm surprised that it appeared at 65%. Only thing I can assume is that I didn't drain well after charging and standing water was present and caused the mold. Amazing to me, though, that even with distilled water, this stuff appeared fast and spread throughout the bag/beads. No apparent damage to my cigars, but gave me a bit of a scare.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I am not sure but I think they advise not pouring water over them. You'd have to check though. I always spritz them with a spray bottle. That sucks though. Hopefully everything goes well.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2