What's new

Heartfelt Beads, Frequently Asked Questions

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe they were engineered for museums to maintain humidity in art work. How they work? Do a search on beads and there is a sceintific explanation somewhere.
Everything I can find says "silica is silica". Yet, viper says that his beads are different in that they release moisture, when other silica doesn't. Trying to figure out what makes them different.

Are they not silica?

jakeemtrn said:
Ask a chemist....
I'm asking the owner of the company that sells them.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The bead itself is made of silica. The beads are then treated with various chemical salts that allow the beads to maintain the various rh levels. Each rh level is treated differently and this is how the different rh levels are acquired.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bead itself is made of silica. The beads are then treated with various chemical salts that allow the beads to maintain the various rh levels. Each rh level is treated differently and this is how the different rh levels are acquired.
Thanks viper. That's what I was looking for.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is some information that, so far, has informed me the most.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32045&mode=linear

I would really like to know what people's experiences are, beyond endorsing one thing or another. Where's the science?
Interesting read, Soundwave, thanks.

If you want an in-depth discussion on other products, it might be a good idea to start a new thread. This one is focused on a specific product that the owner has graciously offered to answer questions about.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have had a bag of 65% beads in the coolerdor for several days and they're holding the humidity rock steady.

Unfortunately, they're holding it at 70% on the dot. What gives? They're definitely not over-saturated.

Also, had a ton of dust and not-spheres in my bag. Should the beads be cleaned before use?

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Dave......

I just purchased some beads from you because I live in Las Vegas and I am having a hard time getting my Humi to get over 55%....

My question is .....Can you put too many beads in a Humidor?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Have had a bag of 65% beads in the coolerdor for several days and they're holding the humidity rock steady.

Unfortunately, they're holding it at 70% on the dot. What gives? They're definitely not over-saturated.

Also, had a ton of dust and not-spheres in my bag. Should the beads be cleaned before use?
no need or way to clean the beads. and the dust will work just fine. the beads will crack over time or if you add too much water at once. it is not supposed to affect their usefulness.

Dave......

I just purchased some beads from you because I live in Las Vegas and I am having a hard time getting my Humi to get over 55%....

The more the better, only because you will recover the RH level faster after opening. I would spray the beads down with a bit more water if the RH is too low. Vegas is tough climate for cigars. you may have lost some of the seasoning in your humi.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Have you calibrated or checked your hygro for accuracy. I have one hygro that reads 4% high cosistantly, I use it and just subtract 4%.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I bought a tube from you that just arrived earlier this week. My question is, it says to make sure 75% are clear but you really can't tell what is clear because its in the tube. Can you take the beads out and then put them back into the tube.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I bought a tube from you that just arrived earlier this week. My question is, it says to make sure 75% are clear but you really can't tell what is clear because its in the tube. Can you take the beads out and then put them back into the tube.
Don't take them out of the tube, you'll be chasing beads around your floor for days.

Just add distilled water until you think most of the beads are hydrated. There is no real majic % of the beads that need to be clear just add enough so that jus a few are still white. You will get a feel for it after a while and you will be able to see if they are white or clear with experience.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Dave......

No you can't. Adding more beads jsut gives you additional moisture storage and the humidor will recover quicker when the lid has been opened. Add distilled water until 85-90% of the beads are clear.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

It sounds like they got a little beat up in shipping. Even though they are beat up they will still work just as well, there is no reason to clean them off.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I have some 70rh beads that were gifted to me. I use them in LARGE Tupperdors full of cigar boxes. No matter what I do, the rH in my bins ends up around 73% or so which is too wet for me (I'd actually prefer closer to 65%). I've tried putting more beads in, putting less in, etc.

Right now I have fewer beads in that I'd consider correct, but still have 73%. I'm just propping open the lids slightly to let some of the humidity out and keep it closer to 70%.

Any thoughts? I had been considering getting a bunch of 65% beads, but am hesitant at this point.

Thanks!