What's new

Heartfelt beads suddenly not holding 65%

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
This chart makes no sense. It is listing a specific RH required to attain 70% RH...that's rediculous...who ever created that chart is confusing AH and RH.

Your RH is a percentage of the maximum amount of moisture the air can hold at a given temperature, it is relative to the temperature...65% RH is 65% RH regardless of temperature...with absolutley no regard to the saturation level of the air (moisture content).

That's a barometric variable, not a true scale of anysort. If I were to follow that scale based on the variable/constant temerature/Rh without taking into consideration that the evaporative rate of my aqueas solution creating it's own barometric variable then adding the base value of my distance above sea level...I wouldn't have time to smoke a cigar.:bigeyes:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Rob, don't forget the current situation with rising sea levels. You may have to adjust your figures everyday based on how high above the sea you are at any given time.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Jason, you just didn't give us a chance to "get your back"! LMAO. You and RR were too busy hogging the thread! :wink:

You guys need to ease up some though! Wow.

Fredneck put it about as well as you can above with the correction about temps at the very end that Jason mentions.

I really don't think RR is all that far from where we are in opinions, truly. I'm just not sure where the disconnect was. The "Experiment" RR mentions sounds alot like the hypothetical situation I mentioned not 5 posts earlier. As Jason said, that would be true without media....and to be honest? I don't think it would be the case even then: given the hydroscopic nature of cigars themselves.

At any rate, it's nice to see this "ol' reliable" discussion still manages to get lively. :rofl:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jason, I was only hogging the thread because I was the 1st person to say something negative about the chart, while other people were saying way to go. RR then took it personal. This discussion has been going on since 3 pm. Lots of views with very little in the way of replies. That's all I meant.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Jason, you just didn't give us a chance to "get your back"! LMAO. You and RR were too busy hogging the thread! :wink:

You guys need to ease up some though! Wow.

Fredneck put it about as well as you can above with the correction about temps at the very end that Jason mentions.

I really don't think RR is all that far from where we are in opinions, truly. I'm just not sure where the disconnect was. The "Experiment" RR mentions sounds alot like the hypothetical situation I mentioned not 5 posts earlier. As Jason said, that would be true without media....and to be honest? I don't think it would be the case even then: given the hydroscopic nature of cigars themselves.

At any rate, it's nice to see this "ol' reliable" discussion still manages to get lively. :rofl:
By the way, it's hygroscopic.....and I enjoy golf too.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I don't care if anyone really had "my back" or not. I was more shocked that people weren't responding to some of the stuff this guy was saying. Some of his posts are classic.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Who wants a cigar???? Gotta lighten up a bit, we're here to relax
:thumbsup::hysterica:hysterica:hysterica:hysterica

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
To add: I hope I didn't offend anyone. I suppose I can get frustrated and heated sometimes. We're all brothers in my eyes!

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
MichiganM said:
..... And thanks JC for posting that info backing Saka up. Although if you're calling me Oprah I don't appreciate that...I'm trying to HELP some BOTL's out by pointing out false info.
Jason

The Oprah comment was not directed at anyone. It was a joke based on the big news story a few weeks back when Oprah was had by a lying author. Sorry for the confusion. :thumbsup:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
jcgoldner said:
Jason

The Oprah comment was not directed at anyone. It was a joke based on the big news story a few weeks back when Oprah was had by a lying author. Sorry for the confusion. :thumbsup:
Hey man, I got the joke now. I'm really sorry I didn't get it the first time. Good joke though, sorry I was so dense on that one! :thinkidea

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This is true. Colder weather holds less RH because of density. However, the thing with humidors is you're adding in humidification.
I know that. By the way, I'm on "your side" here. Your point here though about "throwing nature out the window" is addressed by the rest of my post, where I pointed out that colder weather = dryer air (USUALLY). BUT, I also said that this matters to the folks wondewring about drops in RH% IN their humis, because of the fact that MOST of our humis aren't airtight. So "nature" invades my humidor some, along with most people.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
scottsins said:
I know that. By the way, I'm on "your side" here. Your point here though about "throwing nature out the window" is addressed by the rest of my post, where I pointed out that colder weather = dryer air (USUALLY). BUT, I also said that this matters to the folks wondewring about drops in RH% IN their humis, because of the fact that MOST of our humis aren't airtight. So "nature" invades my humidor some, along with most people.
You're right. Great way to put it. My humi definitely is not airtight unlike my coolidor.

When I was speaking of throwing nature out the window I was referring more to that chart...because that chart is only accounting for temp and not for media. That's all I meant. I agree with ya!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow, I just tripped across this thread... I thought I was in the debate room! :boxing: :bickering :argue: :riflefire :tazerblas

Thanks for speaking up Jason. Hope we didn't chase off River Rat. Gotta give the guy props for rising to the challange.

Soooo... how bout that smoke Tom?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Wow is right. I saw this begin and it reminded me of my first humidor experience..Checking every few hours, checking numerous websites for the truth. Everyone has a diferent opinion like cello or no cello.

Now i keep four humidors, two at 65 and two at 70. Different cigars seem to react differently. I only watch for major swings. May have to try these beads. Sounds like a neat program.