What's new

Hello from London

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I'm Martin. A very green, amateur stick man. All started in June 2016 when I went to Cuba with the wife for the honeymoon. I had my first ever cigar in a tobacco field with a farmer in Viñales. Awesome.

Obviously I bought a few when in Cuba and since returning I've got a cheap humidor and a nice Xikar X1 and Axia.

I'm not a regular smoker, nothing more than one a month - it's my treat - and I enjoy pairing it with a nice spirit.

Looking forward to finding out a little more about the hobby and meeting more of you guys. And here's what arrived this morning - my NYE cigars for the next 6 years

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so nice of you!! Cheers for the welcome - appreciate it. Have you tried the Trinidads? I bought one from Harrods for NYE'15 and was blown away. I'd have preferred a BHK56 but can't find them for love nor money here. The 52's were a chance find - had to get them sent in from Scotland!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the HELL does someone smoke A cigar a MONTH? Flabbergasted. Anyway, welcome from Denver, brother.
Haha I hear you but I gotta keep things in check. Plus it's a pretty expensive hobby here in the UK. Because tobacco taxes are so high, and as everything has to be imported, it's not worth sellers stocking anything non Cuban. Thus we have no competition really. You're looking at a starting price of about £10 for the cheapest stick. The BHK52 are £40 a pop, next level is £70. So yeah, I have to pace myself. Thanks for the welcome!!

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Haha I hear you but I gotta keep things in check. Plus it's a pretty expensive hobby here in the UK. Because tobacco taxes are so high, and as everything has to be imported, it's not worth sellers stocking anything non Cuban. Thus we have no competition really. You're looking at a starting price of about £10 for the cheapest stick. The BHK52 are £40 a pop, next level is £70. So yeah, I have to pace myself. Thanks for the welcome!!
ouch!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing okay so far but I need a better humidor. I think something with more dividers or even drawers to keep the luxury separate from the monthly.

Has anyone used the Xikar acrylic one? I don't have the cash for an Elie Bleu

With regards to the selection I've got a few RP but not keen on the size. Not tried the Davidoff yet. The non cello are Cuban Montys and RyJ. The cellos are New World versions.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Doing okay so far but I need a better humidor. I think something with more dividers or even drawers to keep the luxury separate from the monthly.

Has anyone used the Xikar acrylic one? I don't have the cash for an Elie Bleu

With regards to the selection I've got a few RP but not keen on the size. Not tried the Davidoff yet. The non cello are Cuban Montys and RyJ. The cellos are New World versions.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about a desktop humi, unless that's just your thing.. I bought one, and moved out of it within a few months! For the most part, Tupperware is everyone's favorite "go to" if not a wine cooler/winador.. That way you have more $ for cigars! Check around some of the older threads, there's a wealth of information and suggestions available from anything and everything.. Storage, reviews, sales, smoke of the day, etc.. Not to mention all the non cigar related topics! Also, chat is usually a good place to get a quick answer. Welcome again to BOTL!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow so nice of you!! Cheers for the welcome - appreciate it. Have you tried the Trinidads? I bought one from Harrods for NYE'15 and was blown away. I'd have preferred a BHK56 but can't find them for love nor money here. The 52's were a chance find - had to get them sent in from Scotland!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Yeah, Behike's are scarce as hen's teeth these days. The Trinidads are a good smoke. :cigar:

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Welcome from New Orleans! Was in Scotland a couple of years ago and was amazed at VAT. It is beautiful there in Aberdeen but expensive.