What's new

Help! Cigar emergency

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Very cool - Do you know what causes or how it can be prevented - or is it just something that happens? From a newly added cigar perhaps?
Maybe from your grubby hands....just kidding.

I'm not sure, but they are everywhere. I'm sure the weather (if it's cold outside, then they are coming in), pets and the location of your house as well as the particular geography are all factors. And they could have been transported to your humi from an exposed cigar.

Any entymologists in the house?

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
They only are interested in the glue used to put the box together and or the glue used on the cigar band, they do not eat or harm your cigars, rest easy they are harmless, just crush the little buggers you see.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
They only are interested in the glue used to put the box together and or the glue used on the cigar band, they do not eat or harm your cigars, rest easy they are harmless, just crush the little buggers you see.
Yeah, that's what I remember, they are after the glue!

I read this somewhere a few months ago and now I remember.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Sound advise. Do not toss the cigars, don't freeze the cigars. Remove the bands if you want. Ironman is spot on, mites don't eat cigars they eat the glue.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thank god I have never had any bug problems in my entire history with this hobby.

Sounds like you need to vacuum out your humi and dust off your smokes. Glad to hear it was nothing major for ya.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray them with Raid, that'll take care of the bugs.
Then run them though the washer to rinse off the Raid.
Use the gentle cycle to help preserve smokeability.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea mites should not be a big deal at all.... do whatever it takes to get them off of your sticks and clean out your humi... beyond that you should be fine... I would not freeze until they reappear at a later date (hopefully they dont) but twice I would freeze just to make sure...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What temperature are your cigars stored? Is your humidor near a heat register?

This could be part of the problem and could lead to additional problems. My experience with grain mites is that they need temps in the mid 70's to thrive (just like the tobacco beetles).

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
That is just what I was going to say. And I only know this because I've been a couple on my boxes before. And they were squished to death :bangbang: