What's new

Help! How Much Have I Lost?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hey Man. How've you been?
Yeah, I happened to have some 58% Boveda packs, so I removed the 65% beads and the affected box and put the 58% packs in. Will check it tomorrow. Hopefully, the rest of the boxes are ok. Don't have the time to wipe them down before I leave town in the morning.
Hey buddy!! Been awhile since I've seen you posting sticks!

They'll be fine, I've gotten plenty of cc's with a little mold splotches. Wipe them down and drop the rH, they'll be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks all, quick side question: if mold grows on a stick in cello, does the mold grow on top of the cello or on the cigar inside the cello... I am aware this is probably a stupid question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks all, quick side question: if mold grows on a stick in cello, does the mold grow on top of the cello or on the cigar inside the cello... I am aware this is probably a stupid question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the cigar.

If it's growing on the outside of the cello then there's dust or other organic matter on the cello that it's growing on.

I've seen it mentioned that some shops use unfiltered tap water in their active humidification that can cause a mineral coating to settle onto everything that sits in their humi for very long.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thanks... actually, it's winter here, so it's been cooler than usual (however the New Air is set to cool to 65 degrees). I did spray the beads recently and may have overdone it as the hygros were reading 70 (65% beads). But that was only a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine the mold grew in a few weeks of 70%.
shouldn't but you'd be surprised - as @Glassman says - they're still fine. the only place mold becomes a problem is when it gets on the foot. i'd pull the beads out - let them come down in humidity a bit. wipe down the new air / boxes and you'll be fine.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Metallifan, ever see a ring of fully grown mushrooms in a yard the morning after a rain? When there wasn't anything (visable) there the day before...
Stuff is crazy.
I woke up to mushrooms in my front yard this morning. Hadn’t noticed them before. Of course, we’re having one of our three days of rain per year right now, lol.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Metallifan, ever see a ring of fully grown mushrooms in a yard the morning after a rain? When there wasn't anything (visable) there the day before...
Stuff is crazy.
I woke up to mushrooms in my front yard this morning. Hadn’t noticed them before. Of course, we’re having one of our three days of rain per year right now, lol.
While mushrooms do grow fast, As Harlan alluded to, the mushroom fruit that you see is the smaller part of the overall organism. They fruit from what could be pictured as like a root system called mycelium. (the creeping white fuzz you sometimes see in rotting wood is an example)

And in dry and inhospitable environments some varieties form sclerota, which are densely packed balls of nutrients and DNA that allow them to burst forth into fruit when the conditions are right.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
While mushrooms do grow fast, As Harlan alluded to, the mushroom fruit that you see is the smaller part of the overall organism. They fruit from what could be pictured as like a root system called mycelium. (the creeping white fuzz you sometimes see in rotting wood is an example)

And in dry and inhospitable environments some varieties form sclerota, which are densely packed balls of nutrients and DNA that allow them to burst forth into fruit when the conditions are right.
Wow brother! I never knew you were actually Bill Nye the Science Guy!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Wow brother! I never knew you were actually Bill Nye the Science Guy!
I like-a da science.

But in particular I'm a bit of a mycophile.

They're so freakin interesting!

How I may or may not have initially gotten interested in them is completely irrelevant Harlan.... ;)
While Jeremy is indeed a very smart guy (see my signature), in this particular case we definitely wandered into one of his areas of expertise. The man knows stuff about mushrooms.

For various reasons...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wh
I have the HeartFelt beads. To recharge them, my whitepapers (online) said you do not spray them directly. They go in a smaller container like Tupperware with a small container of distilled water. They residually recharge.
But I believe that is because upon direct contact the little cells can "burst" , disabling their function.

I'd pitch the beads, quarantine any suspect cigars, wipe out the humi, and get a tray of Silica Kitty Litter . It always takes a sealed environment to 65RH quicker than anything else I've used.
What brand kitty litter do you use? I got the crystal ones that arnt suppose to have a scent but they smelled funny so I didn't put them in my humi.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Put some in a small totally clean, open container like a tupperware sandwich size thing, and it will lock you down at 65RH rather quickly.
After everything's stable, you can put it in a nylon sock or something. But I found when you disturb it, it leaves dust. So leaving it in an open container at the bottom is best.
Wife sews a lot and eventually made me two 4x4 " thin bags and they've been working good. I have one in the bottom and one in the middle shelves.

Last June, it was apparently time to regenerate. I microwaved the bags on a plate for 60 seconds. They come out cool, so watch out. Once you toss them around, steam is released. That's the trapped moisture.
I've done that twice in 3-4 years, I guess. If using a tray, you'd just dump it and add fresh. I used to do that. But the bags if you bump em they don't make a royal mess.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
That is the litter I got and dry there is no smell. If you spritz it with water there is. After asking the question I found this https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/660564/good-kitty-litter-list-and-bad-kitty-litter-list-formerly-known-as-the-good-cat-litter-list-and

YMMV
Machado, that spritz bottle is what got you into this mess. I think they're wet enough whereas they are currently growing their own flora.
My advice is to throw that spritzer out the window and put dry cat litter in the humi and everything will eventually go to 65.