What's new

Help! How Much Have I Lost?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
@Machado don't get me wrong, you've described an over-hydration issue. Your cigars are like little sponges. I don't know what the humi RH is at now, but when you add the cigars RH is likely to go up.
If you preseason your humidor and then drop overhydrated smokes in, you run the risk of repeating your mold episode.

Dry KL will drop your RH to 65%. Might take a week or longer. Once that's steady, then you can choose the hydration method of choice.
Two - way hydration with KL wouldn't be my first choice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Machado don't get me wrong, you've described an over-hydration issue. Your cigars are like little sponges. I don't know what the humi RH is at now, but when you add the cigars RH is likely to go up.
If you preseason your humidor and then drop overhydrated smokes in, you run the risk of repeating your mold episode.

Dry KL will drop your RH to 65%. Might take a week or longer. Once that's steady, then you can choose the hydration method of choice.
Two - way hydration with KL wouldn't be my first choice.
Was the message for me? So I was managing 3 sperate humidors and decided to consolidate. I now have a winadore with Spanish cedar drawers and a shelf. When I first set it up it was summer time and I have had no air conditioning. My Rh was getting up over 70 and a could stick did start to sprout some mold so I quarantined them in one of my other humidors after wiping them down and there was no mold in the foot and they are my nexed to be smoked. For the winadore I tossed in a bunch of 65% bovedas and some dry litter in the bottom and held it right at 65. Then it got cold and the rh dropped to about 60%. I took the litter out to hydrate them in hopes of bringing it back up. Once I spritzed it I discovered the smell. I now have the bovedas and some set sponges in the bottom and I am right around 63/64 and as soon as I can I am going to get some of the non-smelly litter to keep it at 65.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Was the message for me? So I was managing 3 sperate humidors and decided to consolidate. I now have a winadore with Spanish cedar drawers and a shelf. When I first set it up it was summer time and I have had no air conditioning. My Rh was getting up over 70 and a could stick did start to sprout some mold so I quarantined them in one of my other humidors after wiping them down and there was no mold in the foot and they are my nexed to be smoked. For the winadore I tossed in a bunch of 65% bovedas and some dry litter in the bottom and held it right at 65. Then it got cold and the rh dropped to about 60%. I took the litter out to hydrate them in hopes of bringing it back up. Once I spritzed it I discovered the smell. I now have the bovedas and some set sponges in the bottom and I am right around 63/64 and as soon as I can I am going to get some of the non-smelly litter to keep it at 65.
LOL guess I did get you and OP mixed up there didn't I ? Me bad.
You did it by the book. Quarantine, clean everything up, use KL to get to solid 65, then choose a plan to re introduce humidity. You choose wet KL. I had co-authored a stickie about KL use on another site about 7 years ago. But it never covered wetting the stuff. KL was used in conjunction with something else. There were a couple guys that spritzed KL but I can't recall what they used.

I use KL and HF beads but started to get under 65 here two weeks ago. Cold here now and the heater is drying the house up. I introduced the sponge, just like you have right now.
My plan is the sponge will recharge the HCF beads.
Good Luck

Last edited: