What's new

Help me drink something better than Keurig coffee...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I find I enjoy coffee with my cigars regularly. Currently, coffee=keurig and while that works I know I'm missing out on a vast world of really good coffee. I've never made fancy coffee, I don't grind my own beans and before the keurig I used a regular drip machine. So, this is kind of a new concept for me.

I know there are some serious coffee drinkers here, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of what I need to do so that I can make myself a good cup of coffee on those days when I want to take my time and make it right and enjoy a good cigar with it.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
French press is what I use. I also use a regular mr. Coffee grinder. Most recommend a burr grinder for an even grind but the El cheapo works for me. I've also read and have seen a lot of good reviews on the Aeropress.

Nothing beats a good French press with a cigar.

Get some quality beans too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
For a small investment you can drink excellent coffee.
Get a Bodum press,and a Krupps or Braun grinder.
Find a local roaster and experiment with blending different roasts and countries.
One day you may want to try roasting your own like I do.
I pay 5.00 a pound for beans,I can roast them light or dark,and I NEVER drink poor coffee.
My roaster cost 26.00 on ebay,I have done over 350 batches with it.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Well just about anything will be a better cup than that Keurig . Fresh beans is the first part to a good cup even if you get a batch at a local shop. I have used many different methods to brew but 80% of the time I use my Techni Vorm and if it was the only thing I had I'd be just fine. If your drinking a cup or two a day the aeropress, french press and pour over all make a great cup and for much less than a good brewer.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks for all the help. I'm mostly thinking along the lines of a single large cup or maybe 2 cups. I'm not typically a pot of coffee guy. I know a place that roasts their own and has a large selection of coffees. To start with I think I'll grind my own and make a big cup to have with my cigar. That's what I want to get set up to do.

The french press I know of, but the chemex and aero press I'd never heard of.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's a bit of experimentation with a variety of different ways to brew coffee. ...try different ways of brewing and follow your own tastes. I finally chosee FP because I can change how I make it...and once finding my perfect recipe it's making sure that I do it the same every time. I bought an ultra mesh screen that fits over my cup that I pour the coffee through ...no more sediment at all which leads to a better taste . The screen has a nice handle and making coffee is quick and easy...esp having an electronic kettle. It takes 4 minutes total to make a perfect cup of coffee
....using at least a mesh screen of 18-8 or better takes away all traces of sediment. Mine cost $5 whereas a Grosche filter can cost around $50.

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If you get your grinder and Bodum,contact me for some custom roast.........
You will quickly get used to the sediment in your cup,and not toss off the last sip.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There is nothing better than Keurig coffee.
I die a little on the inside whenever I hear someone say this lol. For one or two cups at a time a good poor over its great, I like Chemex, but it's about finding what you like. Pour over its more hands on than a drop pot but I think it's a far better cup. Although good coffee starts with fresh beans and the grind. You can get a good budget burr grinder for a decent price that will still out perform the most expensive blade grinder. I get all my stuff from either chriscoffee.com or seattlecoffeegear.com, my beans come from local roasters or local coffee shops. If you are looking for a real strong brew I think a Moka pot or aeropress is the best for that.