What's new

Help me drink something better than Keurig coffee...

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Well just about anything will be a better cup than that Keurig . Fresh beans is the first part to a good cup even if you get a batch at a local shop. I have used many different methods to brew but 80% of the time I use my Techni Vorm and if it was the only thing I had I'd be just fine. If your drinking a cup or two a day the aeropress, french press and pour over all make a great cup and for much less than a good brewer.
Do you guys all drink it black?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
download.jpg
Does anyone have any thoughts on a manual grinder? I saw one that'll fit inside the aeropress. Seems like that'd make a great setup to take camping.
Yes....I use a manual grinder and have for the last few years and it's just as good as the most expensive burr grinder. Cost......$15 and it never overheats the beans unless I had 6 cups of coffee previously.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Okay so entering into the world of 'a better cup' you have a few options for your brew methods. Based on the volume you wish to make you have three options

• Aeropress ($27) - Produces a very pure & clean cup of coffee and the sweetness of the roast comes forward
  • French Press ($18) - Makes a cup with the most 'body' and oils still present. The brew can contain some grit though.
  • Pour over [Kalita Wave] ($22) - Middle of the road; the tinkerers dream. Not as sweet/clean as Aeropress, but no grit with the FrenchPress. I recommend most people start here.

From there I would NOT spend the money on a Burr Grinder yet unless you have money to burn (in that case look at what I linked). Instead find a local shop where you can buy nice fresh roasts (this is key) and have them grind for you based on your brew method. Once you get hooked though pull out the wallet because fresh grinding and experimenting with grind size is very important.

I would recommend this variable temperature gooseneck kettle though. Water temperature has a huge impact on the finish product as you experiment with different methods. Also being able to precisely control the flow of water is important (thus the gooseneck part).

Lastly and equally important for consistency is a scale. Getting the right water->coffee ratio doesn't happen by magic. This is a great budget scale.

Like you said many of us here are HUGE coffee heads. If you have any questions or need other recommendations just ask!
I could not agree more with Jay. However, since I am the only one in the house that drinks coffee, the French Press makes too much for me to sit and consume at once. The Aeropress is my go-to favorite. I also like the pour over.

If you've not yet tired cold brewed coffee, well that's another slice of heaven waiting for you to discover it!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I could not agree more with Jay. However, since I am the only one in the house that drinks coffee, the French Press makes too much for me to sit and consume at once. The Aeropress is my go-to favorite. I also like the pour over.

If you've not yet tired cold brewed coffee, well that's another slice of heaven waiting for you to discover it!
Cold brewed coffee.....don't even go there or you'll have another vice. You do know that you can cut the recipe in half for FP....I drink a full 32 ounce cup in the morning and it keeps me regular like clockwork. Recipe for half FP 16 ounces....2 ounces of grinded beans...took me a couple of days to perfect the taste and I haven't wavered since then. Found a way to get the perfect foam on top......microwave 2 ounces of 1/2 and 1/2 for 16 seconds.....electric frother until fully whipped....spoon into your cup as much as you want and sprinkle some cinnamon....save yourself $5 and tons better than Charbucks.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

Can't you just put less water and coffee in the french press?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Cold brewed coffee.....don't even go there or you'll have another vice. You do know that you can cut the recipe in half for FP....I drink a full 32 ounce cup in the morning and it keeps me regular like clockwork. Recipe for half FP 16 ounces....2 ounces of grinded beans...took me a couple of days to perfect the taste and I haven't wavered since then. Found a way to get the perfect foam on top......microwave 2 ounces of 1/2 and 1/2 for 16 seconds.....electric frother until fully whipped....spoon into your cup as much as you want and sprinkle some cinnamon....save yourself $5 and tons better than Charbucks.
Can't you just put less water and coffee in the french press?
Technically speaking, yes I can. However, from a more realistic perspective... I can, technically,cook just one piece of bacon but that's never happened, either. Since I have room to cook more, I should cook more or else I am wasting the space.

Exact same for a half-full French Press.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I swear this place... My uncle is a coffee snob as far as getting beans and fresh ground. He always gives me a sneer/chuckle when I talk about my keurig and you guys just piled on seems I'm missing out on way better coffee. I will say using the reusable kcups and fresh ground you taste a big difference in the coffee. I remember watching @Wicket go head first into roasting not something I want to do but there is some good info in this thread!! Jerks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Another side to this is water.Use the best you can find.
City water works,but clean bottled water is better tasting.
In favor of the bodum,you can use it for tea or infusing liquids,and when making coffee,the lack of heating elements mean it does not get nasty when left sitting.
I do not use a water kettle,I put a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave for 2 minutes,works great,and I do not have another item cluttering up the counter.
Bodum.......20.00
burr grinder.....45.00
my coffee...........5.00 lb
roaster...........26.00...over 350 batches and going strong.
all of these have lasted for years,and I would never go back to anything less.

Last edited: