What's new

Home Defense Shotgun (or rifle?) on a shoestring

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright folks. I'm looking for a budget firearm (<$500) that will be purely intended for home defense. The rules (due to evil restrictions from the commie-wealth of Massachusetts) are as follows:

1. Must be a rifle or shotgun able to hold no more than 10+1 rounds.
2. Must not have pistol grip.
3. Special restrictions may further apply (i.e. I have one of those evil "Forbidden Lists of Doom")

My own personal considerations are as follows:

1. Must be legal for me to own (see above).
2. Must be relatively safe to discharge within the house for self defense purposes (i.e. it can't make the house swiss cheese, at least not easily).
3. Must have a certain level of badassery
4. If shotgun, must be pump-action.

Thanks a lot, brothers!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
If you are going to be the only possible person running the gun, then ditto what bamboo said.

If there is the chance of any wife, gf, kid, etc needing to run the gun... I'd take a look into something like the Hi-Point carbines. As much as I hate Hi-Point, their carbines seem to be okay - and it sounds like it would fit your bill.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Good thread. I was actually about to post one myself about something for our RV. I'll use this for some ideas before I post one (I'll have a few less restrictions).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shotgun.... As stated above Mossberg or Remington is the way to go. Personally I'm a fan of Mossberg.

Everyone can imagine the distinct sound a Shotgun makes as you rack 1 in..... That sound should serve as quite the deterrent in itself.

I train with both an AR and Mossberg .... For close quarters combat (such as a home) the shotgun will give you the needed results.

Based on 10+ years in Law Enforcement and as a certified firearms instructor.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
the shotgun will give you the needed results.
this is why I have one, and tried to find one as compact as possible... all the bedrooms are on the second story with only one set of stairs... My gun is loaded... shot, slug, slug, shot... This is so I can poke the barrel down the stairs, let one go, and come around with the slug if need be... I hope to never have to use it, but better you than me is the way I see it... Also on the mrs side of the bed we keep

[/IMG]

one in 380 and one in 357

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
here is what I am doing and why. My wife is not really interested in learning how to shoot. so a hand gun or even a close quarters carbine, leaves me with 1 bullet goiing exactly where the gun was pointed when the sear breaks and releases the hammer. A pump action shotgun, not only creates the scariest most intimidating sound on the planet, but when discharged sends between 20-and 40 pellets down the hall, ensuring a hit on target. So while you will have to do some drywall work the next day, you can almost guarantee the coroner will be earning his keep as well. So the wife is able to use it effectively, it has a scary noise, it will certainly do the trick. Now which one is the question.

Remington 870 is supposed to be a better quality than the mossberg 500, of course arguable, but will come at a slightly higher price point. I am thinking of this one form a local sporting goods store. $289, plus tax and background check.
http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-model-500-12ga-in3-in-1in-home-defense-w2-barrels-51482-015813514828.aspx

you mave have barrel length restrictions, so look at that and buy the shortest barrel possible. Of course some of the pistol grip mossberg 500's look pretty bad ass. And since it's for a hallway battle, the short pistol grip modle might make it to me instead. It just leave with out a legit hunting gun.

http://www.impactguns.com/moss-500-cruisr-20-18-6s-mustbe21yearsold50450-015813504508.aspx

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
This is so I can poke the barrel down the stairs, let one go, and come around with the slug if need be.

here is what I am doing and why. My wife is not really interested in learning how to shoot. so a hand gun or even a close quarters carbine, leaves me with 1 bullet goiing exactly where the gun was pointed when the sear breaks and releases the hammer. A pump action shotgun, not only creates the scariest most intimidating sound on the planet, but when discharged sends between 20-and 40 pellets down the hall, ensuring a hit on target. So while you will have to do some drywall work the next day, you can almost guarantee the coroner will be earning his keep as well. So the wife is able to use it effectively, it has a scary noise, it will certainly do the trick. Now which one is the question.

Remington 870 is supposed to be a better quality than the mossberg 500, of course arguable, but will come at a slightly higher price point. I am thinking of this one form a local sporting goods store. $289, plus tax and background check.
http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-model-500-12ga-in3-in-1in-home-defense-w2-barrels-51482-015813514828.aspx

you mave have barrel length restrictions, so look at that and buy the shortest barrel possible. Of course some of the pistol grip mossberg 500's look pretty bad ass. And since it's for a hallway battle, the short pistol grip modle might make it to me instead. It just leave with out a legit hunting gun.

http://www.impactguns.com/moss-500-cruisr-20-18-6s-mustbe21yearsold50450-015813504508.aspx
The odds are certainly better. But remember... shotguns are long, heavy, and have a hard recoil impulse especially for somebody who never fires one. Sounds like you may have to drag her to the range a couple times just to get her comfortable with it, and to pattern the shotgun. Lots of newer shooters think shotguns open up to "minute of barn door" and assume they just have to point it in the general direction. Patterning at different distances tends to be a very useful activity.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread so if this is out of line-PM me and I'll have a mod split it off.
If you have less restrictions, look at shotguns and ARs (not pistol caliber carbines)
I don't like to put a price point on my purchases. I also don't want to research it, for fear of falling down another slope of expensive habits. For me the best way to describe what I'm looking for, is to compare it to power tools. I want the Milwaukee of guns. I'm not looking for a cheap one just to 'get by' as I certainly don't want to turn around a year or so down the road and feel I bought something cheap and need to upgrade it. I also don't need the Snap-On of guns, as I won't be using it all that often. With winter coming I know we will stop the RV in more truck stops and rest areas over night, since we can use the furnace without plugging in to power. I don't have any bias or preference on what I buy, but being in a 35 foot fifth wheel trailer, I think it's the definition of tight quarters.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mossberg 590 A1 or the Remmington 870 Express Tactical.

The Federal Low Recoil Flight control buckshot for ammo.
My thoughts exaclty!
I have a Remmington 870 for my home defense weapon. I take it hunting all the time and never have had an issue with it at all.
Its not the Tactical, but the Premier (fancy engraving) and its solid black with the black synthetic stock.

I've seen alot of people usuing the Mossbergs as well. I have never shot one, but heard nice things about them.

Both can be got for less than $500 and have some left over for shells.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread so if this is out of line-PM me and I'll have a mod split it off.

I don't like to put a price point on my purchases. I also don't want to research it, for fear of falling down another slope of expensive habits. For me the best way to describe what I'm looking for, is to compare it to power tools. I want the Milwaukee of guns. I'm not looking for a cheap one just to 'get by' as I certainly don't want to turn around a year or so down the road and feel I bought something cheap and need to upgrade it. I also don't need the Snap-On of guns, as I won't be using it all that often. With winter coming I know we will stop the RV in more truck stops and rest areas over night, since we can use the furnace without plugging in to power. I don't have any bias or preference on what I buy, but being in a 35 foot fifth wheel trailer, I think it's the definition of tight quarters.
J,

If you want the Milwaukee of shotguns, the Benelli M series (M2 or M4) should fit the bill. Not cheap, but IMO worth every penny. Their ARGo gas and recoil system makes it one of the smoothest, reliable actions I've shot.

To the OP, I would recommend the 870 or Mossberg 5xx series mentioned.

Regards,
Randy

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I don't have any bias or preference on what I buy, but being in a 35 foot fifth wheel trailer, I think it's the definition of tight quarters.
Depends on your wants/needs. If the tight quarters means you will be in a bedroom in the back, and won't have to move. Pick up a shotgun. If the tight quarters means you will have to manipulate a weapon through the vehicle, pick up an SBR or less preferably, a handgun.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to see I got a good discussion going.

From what I can tell, Mossberg/Remington is the way to go. I am particularly in dpricenator's first link. Seeing as I have a very limited arsenal at the moment, and various hunting laws in my area (both criminal and wildlife, heh heh) are particularly communist, a good shotgun with multiple purposes is a very good prospect. Especially when it's a Mossberg 500.

Keep up the discussion!

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The Mossberg is a great choice and won't give you any problems. The Remington 870 has a slightly higher starting price point but, in my opinion, has better upgrades down the road.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
this is what I have at home...NEF pardner pump, copy of the rem 870 frame... cheap and does what it needs to do..

Ditto this, my NEF 18 1/2" is awesome. Basically the same gun as the 870, parts are pretty much the same but better material. Great price too. If you remove the plug and and the plastic spring holder from the tube you have a 6+1. All of the upgrades for the 870 will fit this weapon without mods except for the barrels, you'll have to have the barrel lug rings moved.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick up a Mossy 500 combo kit that will give you a hunting barrel and a short barrel for under 350 brand new. I personally own a remmy 870 express with a 26" barrel for hunting/trap/skeet shooting and a 18.5" inch barrel for camping in my 33 ft 5th wheel or when we tent camp with the boy scouts. We live in Utah and there are many bears who like to "visit" tents in the middle of the night and the 18.5" barrel is short enough to operate in a tent and the fifth wheel.

Can't go wrong with a 12-gauge pump shotgun!

-Joe

PS if you get a 870 express, don't use Winchester ammo in white boxes unless you polish the chamber. Federal and others work perfect. It takes under an hour using a scotchpad and some CLP. I did this to mine and it eats anything.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 870 Tactical Express will fit you needs. The Mossberg 590 A1 is a tank with a significantly heavier barrel than the 500 series. Another option if the Benelli Nova pump.

What is your shotgun experience? Do you shoot Trap, Sporting Clays or Skeet? And have you considered a Tactical Class? Your opinion on what you want or need will definitely change after some quality training. Too often we are influence by the media.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My shotgun experience is, abashedly, rather limited. I've shot mostly 12 ga., but few and far between.

With regards to the Pardner, a friend of mine recently purchased one and managed to (I kid you not), SOMEHOW get a feed jam. I don't know if he was attempting black magic on the thing and it gave him the ol' "#^$! you" or if this is a prevalent problem.

Pardner owners, what are the drawbacks to your weapon, and have you had feeding problems?