What's new

Home lounge air filtration

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
As some of you know, my wife and I bought a house in MN this summer. My deck had been great so far but with the temps dipping into the 40s this weekend, I realized I need an indoor smoking space. I have a finished room in the basement that I can create a den/lounge. The big concern of ours is how to filter the smoke out of the air. A vent with fan is out of the question. I don't want to vent my warm house air out when it's -10 outside. Not to mention that it's an interior room. Does anyone here use any air purifier with success? It's a 10x12' room with a max of 2 smokers. I can seal the room from the rest of the house and am not against leaving the purifier running after I'm done smoking. I just don't want residual smells in the room. Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Thanks.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a box fan with a smoke rated AC filter taped to it. I'm generally the only one smoking in the room so I'm close enough to the fan that the majority of the smoke is routed directly through the filter. For the cost of this setup vs the cost of some of your other options you can run several of these in a larger room. I'm really impressed with how this works, can't say it's smoke free 100% of the time but it's never enough to be uncomfortable and the room clears up pretty quickly.

As far as odors I use a small ozone generator and any of a series of candles, incense, Febreeze products and car deodorizers. The room always smells like cigar but it's not overpowering or obnoxious.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I'm thinking it'll be really difficult to pull it off with much success. Even if you were venting out it'd be really hard to keep the smell from getting to other parts of the house, nevermind trying to be free of residual oder in the room.
Your best bet might be a yard barn, shed, workshop etc, that you could heat with propane or wood.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So this is going to turn into a project. After doing some research online, I've found that ultimately what's important is to select a filtration system that has a high CADR for smoke (.1 micron). The rabbit air comes in at 160 CADR. However, there are several other, cheaper, options around 140-150 CADR. The rabbit air also promotes a "negative ion generator" to freshen air, which may just be marketing gobble-dee-gook. With my room being as small as it is, I have a fair amount of confidence that any of these would be over sized for my area. I've also figured out that I do have a small portion of exposed outside wall I didn't realize before. This means I might punch a small (6"-8") hole and install a fan venting to outside. It could even be a DC fan so I don't have to run power to it. The room is currently painted like a clown murder room so I may also look into odor absorbing paint. The corner you see in the picture is the cinder block foundation corner of my house. My house has radiators for heat and this room has no AC vents so I'm fairly confident I can keep the smoke from entering the rest of the house. I might turn this into a lounge project thread.20180930_080017.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I smoke in my detached garage in less than ideal conditions "no in hose smoking" it has no ventilation at all and i use a kerosene heater in the dead of winter which is about the only air movement i have at all. I suppose i can put a fan in it. Anyway, If i dont open the doors and let it air it out it reeks for weeks on end. Im just surprised by how long a smoke can linger.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So this is going to turn into a project. After doing some research online, I've found that ultimately what's important is to select a filtration system that has a high CADR for smoke (.1 micron). The rabbit air comes in at 160 CADR. However, there are several other, cheaper, options around 140-150 CADR. The rabbit air also promotes a "negative ion generator" to freshen air, which may just be marketing gobble-dee-gook. With my room being as small as it is, I have a fair amount of confidence that any of these would be over sized for my area. I've also figured out that I do have a small portion of exposed outside wall I didn't realize before. This means I might punch a small (6"-8") hole and install a fan venting to outside. It could even be a DC fan so I don't have to run power to it. The room is currently painted like a clown murder room so I may also look into odor absorbing paint. The corner you see in the picture is the cinder block foundation corner of my house. My house has radiators for heat and this room has no AC vents so I'm fairly confident I can keep the smoke from entering the rest of the house. I might turn this into a lounge project thread.View attachment 121992
I have never found a smoke eater that was any good
If you do get a air cleaner look for this:
  • A True HEPA filtering system, which removes 99.97% of particles .3 microns and larger. This includes visible smoke.
  • An Activated Carbon Filter, which absorbs the smoke odor.
An Activated Carbon Filter is the real secret behind eliminating tobacco smoke odor inside your house.

When shopping for an air purifier, you’ll come across many products that include a True HEPA filter. However, most of these devices are not very effective at getting rid of smoke because they don’t also have an Activated Carbon filter to get rid of the particles that make up its odor.

Only an air purifier that can absorb the gaseous pollutants from smoke will work for your situation. Buying any other type of product will be a waste of money.

I would look at this one
Austin Air HealthMate HM 400
What you’ll love most about this device is that contains nearly 15 pounds of Activated Carbon, which is unmatched in the marketplace.

It also draws air into the unit through all sides, making it a 360 degree air filtering unit. This makes it possible to place the device anywhere in the room and enjoy maximum air filtration no matter where it’s located.

What’s even better is that this air purifier can purify an area up to 1,500 sq. ft. That’s more than enough power to create clean, fresh air in practically any size single family home.

Finally, this smoke air purifier comes with a 5 year filter life, which means you won’t have to spend a ton of money each year to keep it running efficiently.

I have built a few cigar lounges in mine and others homes. The number 1 and best way to enjoy a cigar in a home is you have to remove the smoke ASAP. I understand that you are in a basement but I would look into the 6" or 8" hole with a fan and bigger is better!!! I would look at this Hyper Fan 8 in Digital Mixed Flow Fan 710 CFM. If you look around you can find them under $200 and lots of videos on youtube about them.
Good luck

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have never found a smoke eater that was any good
If you do get a air cleaner look for this:
  • A True HEPA filtering system, which removes 99.97% of particles .3 microns and larger. This includes visible smoke.
  • An Activated Carbon Filter, which absorbs the smoke odor.
An Activated Carbon Filter is the real secret behind eliminating tobacco smoke odor inside your house.

When shopping for an air purifier, you’ll come across many products that include a True HEPA filter. However, most of these devices are not very effective at getting rid of smoke because they don’t also have an Activated Carbon filter to get rid of the particles that make up its odor.

Only an air purifier that can absorb the gaseous pollutants from smoke will work for your situation. Buying any other type of product will be a waste of money.

I would look at this one
Austin Air HealthMate HM 400
What you’ll love most about this device is that contains nearly 15 pounds of Activated Carbon, which is unmatched in the marketplace.

It also draws air into the unit through all sides, making it a 360 degree air filtering unit. This makes it possible to place the device anywhere in the room and enjoy maximum air filtration no matter where it’s located.

What’s even better is that this air purifier can purify an area up to 1,500 sq. ft. That’s more than enough power to create clean, fresh air in practically any size single family home.

Finally, this smoke air purifier comes with a 5 year filter life, which means you won’t have to spend a ton of money each year to keep it running efficiently.

I have built a few cigar lounges in mine and others homes. The number 1 and best way to enjoy a cigar in a home is you have to remove the smoke ASAP. I understand that you are in a basement but I would look into the 6" or 8" hole with a fan and bigger is better!!! I would look at this Hyper Fan 8 in Digital Mixed Flow Fan 710 CFM. If you look around you can find them under $200 and lots of videos on youtube about them.
Good luck
15lbs of activated charcoal every 6 to 12 months(it has manufactured shelf life) is gonna get real pricey though. Doesn't ozone flock them into larger particulates so a filter could pick it up better?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm using a Filtrete 1200D because I got them on sale at Sam's but any smoke removal rated air filter will work. Available just about every where. If the room is naturally dusty you may want to put a pre-filter (std air filter) over the smoke filter.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
My neighbor and I tried both a commercial smoke eater($1500 ducted model) and a 600CFM exhaust fan.

The exhaust fan worked the best.

My cigar room can accommodate two smokers efficiently

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Export the air or deal with the repercussions... thatvis my final answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you deal with the heat loss in the winter? Does your lounge have a heat source?
Is the Rabbit Air worth the money?