What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just got done brewing up a robust porter. Came damn close to my desired numbers and the pre-fermented wort tastes promising. Thawed a gallon of tangelo juice so I can get a batch of tangelo wine going too.
You had me at porter.
Oh and that stout recipe you gave me tis summer, well I just open my first bottle and it was pretty good. I am going to cut back on raspberries next time. Thanks for the recipe

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
"Brewed" some hard cider last night. Local orchard filled a couple carboys of fresh pressed juice for me. I pitched a lager yeast in 5 gal and just let the other 5 gal go without anything. Let's see what the wild yeast in the juice turn it into.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Starting batch one of what will be a long ongoing malt experiment today. I want to cover as many different "toasted" and specialty malts as I can. The recipes will all be fairly simple and one dimensional but with good notes it should be productive. All recipes will be MO and one other malt at 5-10% of the grist. Hops will be 3/4oz EKG to around 16IBU and Nottingham for yeast.
The first three tests will be special roast vs victory vs biscuit. After that I'm thinking brown malt, coffee malt, and pale chocolate. If anyone has any malts they suggest let me know.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Starting batch one of what will be a long ongoing malt experiment today. I want to cover as many different "toasted" and specialty malts as I can. The recipes will all be fairly simple and one dimensional but with good notes it should be productive. All recipes will be MO and one other malt at 5-10% of the grist. Hops will be 3/4oz EKG to around 16IBU and Nottingham for yeast.
The first three tests will be special roast vs victory vs biscuit. After that I'm thinking brown malt, coffee malt, and pale chocolate. If anyone has any malts they suggest let me know.
I'm a big fan of victory for roastiness without being acrid or burnt, it's more like toast imo. Biscuit on the other hand has a very strong flavor and as 5-10% of your grist would be pretty overpowering and to me unpalatable, but everyone's tastes are different. I also like Vienna and Munich as a combo for a toasty/roasty flavor and a little color. Caramunich could be interesting too. Interested to hear what you come up with.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
At this point I've used them all before but never in beers this "naked" per se and never side by side batches like this to really compare. Funny though how I've had the biscuit at about 4% in my last few brews with it and it didn't really come through at all. It seems to be really hit or miss for me. Munich always does me well though I practically add a pound to everything.
Just to mess with our last batch of Hef I layered the base malt with Munich and MO instead of just straight Pils/wheat. Haven't tried it yet but the wort had a really great dough like aroma.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone have a good recipe for a scottish ale? I enjoy the style, although never had any of the strong ales. For a commercial example, I like Four Peaks Kilt Lifter

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Anyone have a good recipe for a scottish ale? I enjoy the style, although never had any of the strong ales. For a commercial example, I like Four Peaks Kilt Lifter
I have a recipe but I can't tell you if it is any good since I haven't brewed it yet. For a better commercial example get your hands on some Founders Dirty Bastard. I'm personally not a big fan of Kilt Lifter

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a recipe but I can't tell you if it is any good since I haven't brewed it yet. For a better commercial example get your hands on some Founders Dirty Bastard. I'm personally not a big fan of Kilt Lifter
Thanks, I will look for that one. And my favorite scottish ale I have had recently was fron Oggi's in San Diego and our local brewery, Prison Hill, has a descent one.