What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Imo that is really dependent on the yeast strain and how far along you are in fermentation. I have read books that state 72 hours after active fermentation begins the profile of what flavors the yeast will provide is already set and you can raise to room temp which for me can be as high as 80f in the summer, between 70-75f in the winter. I haven't had a problem personally letting rise to room temp after that period of time but others may have. I think you are fine going 70-75f after the first few days without risking off flavors, the first few days truly are the most important.

Excited to be brewing my first Scottish 80/- this weekend. Plan to take the first gallon of first runnings and boil that down and add back to the boil to get some extra caramelization of the wort. If my mash tun was just a little bigger it would turn into a Wee Heavy. That problem will be resolved as soon as I get a manifold built for the new 100qt cooler @BenS bombed me

Next time around I will get a true Scottish style yeast but don't have time for a starter so going with trusty US-05
That recipe looks good. I may steal it and try out with WLP028 or 005, depending on what the local shop has.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What was your hop schedule like? I've been thinking of doing something similar with Cali Common yeast.
Good question...have to find my notes.,,sorry I am just now seeing this thread....beer is killer! Will try to post up the hop drop and a picture of the outcome ;)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Shout out to AHS where I get the majority of my kits. In case you can't read my chicken scratch hop drop schedule lol....

60 min 1 oz citra
15 min 1 oz citra
10 min 1 oz citra 1 oz Kohatu 1 oz Apollo
5 min 1 oz citra

X2 pitched with WL Mexican lager yeast

Sent from my iKegerator

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cool so sort of an APA hopping schedule(aside from the bittering addition) with a lager yeast. Im not sure why I expected less hops. Definitely going to give something similar a go.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Cool so sort of an APA hopping schedule(aside from the bittering addition) with a lager yeast. Im not sure why I expected less hops. Definitely going to give something similar a go.
Ya I seem to always throw something in at 60. I have an awesome wheat based beer with Amarillo hops that I plan on lagering as well. Talk about a totally new beer style there! The picture does t do this beer justice.... I guess the main reason I stayed away from lager yeast is becaus of the extra time it takes to ferment (and my first one sucked). But with all 12 kegs full and two empty fermenters...why not! Especially since I have a temp controlled fermenter and time to kill other kegs. Anyway....the next two brews are going to be lighter in color but with a shit ton of hops. Maybe Santa will bring me a 1.75 gallon cannonball keg so I can roll to friends houses in style lol.

Beer is good.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is that the same method that one dude uses for his Amber? It's called King Brian's Caramel Amber or something like that.
I'm supposed to be brewing an Irish Red right now but I'm just too lazy today after my morning run, probably tomorrow. On the plus side I kegged up my Steamboat Willy Cali Common and it came out real nice. After a little lagering it should be spot on.