What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Forgot an important piece of info.... oxygen based cleaners are a big no go on aluminum. So no Oxyclean unless you go stainless. Just wanted to put that out there.
I have read that some use Oxy clean in place of more expensive cleaners like B-brite. But they say you have to rinse even more?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I have read that some use Oxy clean in place of more expensive cleaners like B-brite. But they say you have to 4inse even more?

Oxyclean free works great on glass or stainless, not aluminum though. Rinse with super hot water and don't let sit too long or hard water scale can build up

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have read that some use Oxy clean in place of more expensive cleaners like B-brite. But they say you have to rinse even more?

Oxyclean free works great on glass or stainless, not aluminum though. Rinse with super hot water and don't let sit too long or hard water scale can build up
^ nailed it. Make sure its the "Free" version and use warm/hot water so it fully dissolves. Stuff works serious magic on carboys too. I use 1/2 to 5gal water, 1/2 as in half the 1 mark not half the actual scooper.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Pot arrived today and it's huge. Not sure what I was expecting, but it's bigger than that.

Put it to work right away on my first all grain BIAB batch. Andes chocolate peppermint milk stout.

Hit all my numbers including OG (1.065). Wort chiller is definitely next on the list. Dragging that huge pot to the bath tub to cool was a PITA. Not to mention the black soot from the burner getting all over the place...

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pot arrived today and it's huge. Not sure what I was expecting, but it's bigger than that.

Put it to work right away on my first all grain BIAB batch. Andes chocolate peppermint milk stout.

Hit all my numbers including OG (1.065). Wort chiller is definitely next on the list. Dragging that huge pot to the bath tub to cool was a PITA. Not to mention the black soot from the burner getting all over the place...
Adjust your air mix. Soot is a sign of a rich mix. Too much gas. You want to see more blue flame than yellow. As you adjust the gas valve you need to adjust the air too.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

In like Flynn!
Two beers in one week? Yeah, you're coming to the dark side fast. ;)

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a friend help me make my own IC from 1/2" copper tubing I got at Home Depot. Wrapped it around a dive tank to get the shape right and my buddy did the soldering. Hooked it up with quick connects so it's easy to set up/breakdown. My latest upgrade was getting a submersible pump so I'm able to use my pool as a reservoir. No water wasted and crashes the temp pretty fast.
Just throwing some food for thought out there. You might be able to rig up something good for less than buying a chiller. If not it's not a bad investment. I do recommend the 1/2" though, the 1/4" ones never seem like they work well enough.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I made my IC, I used 3/8 and a aquarium pump. This is because as any AZ brewer knows, our tap water is damn hot for a portion of the year. Seems to work okay, but I am thinkkng of getting a pump with higher flow rate.
Also, I know a guy here that uses his pool and puts the pump at the bottom of deep end and it works great.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Isn't the slower flow rate better at cooling though? Something about more time to absorb the heat as it passes through the chiller.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, i have heard this. Here is how i see it: heat is energy and more heat is more potential energy, and energy id always balanced. So the heat moves into pipe and then into water, and movement of water ensures there is always cooler water there to absorb energy. So a higher flow rate would ensure you have a max transfer of energy, although too high a flow rate may be overkill and use more water.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Yes, i have heard this. Here is how i see it: heat is energy and more heat is more potential energy, and energy id always balanced. So the heat moves into pipe and then into water, and movement of water ensures there is always cooler water there to absorb energy. So a higher flow rate would ensure you have a max transfer of energy, although too high a flow rate may be overkill and use more water.

This is the answer you seek.