What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, i got lucky, someone I knew was selling their 10gal MegaPot 1.2 from Northern Brewer and it had valve and thermometer built in. But at the time i was looking at a 15 gal brew pot on Amazon for about $150, and i thought it had a valve installed

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Buy the biggest pot your budget will allow. I use aluminum and the only special thing you need to do is clean really good and boil water for about an hour in it before you use it to brew
Ditto unless you are sensitive to aluminum. Couldn't stand brewing with an aluminum pot. You'd be surprised how small a large pot can be when you manage to boil over a 7 gallon batch in a 15 gallon pot.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm a SS guy now but I started with aluminum. If you use Bar Keepers Friend, sold cheap at Home Depot or the grocery store, your SS will always look brand new. Takes off rust, beer stone, and everything else plus passivates the steel again.
Budweiser kegs can also be converted for cheap if you've got the tools to do it. If you do choose to go with aluminum though you can boil water in it as mentioned, or use the oven if it fits.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I was about to post this.... http://www.morebeer.com/products/14-gallon-stainless-brew-kettle.html

But the one you posted is like twice the size for 1/3 the price. If you can actually snag that thing for under $100 that's a steel!!.....see how I did that lol.
Herve brings up a good point too in that some people are sensitive to aluminum. I can't really pick it up but some definitely do.
Not sure that I want the valve or thermometer at this point. Wouldn't the thermometer probe snag the bag? I currently have an instant read. And don't you have to completely disassemble the valve and probe to clean it?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Not sure that I want the valve or thermometer at this point. Wouldn't the thermometer probe snag the bag? I currently have an instant read. And don't you have to completely disassemble the valve and probe to clean it?
You could always remove the thermometer and plug the hole. I just flushed the kettle with clean water. The valve will be sitting at 200 + degrees for at least an hour. 90 minutes was the minimum for me. That will sanitize the valve pretty easily unless it is full of gunk. If your worried. Just run off a gallon or 2 of boiling wort. That will do it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, i never had anything snag on the thermo probe...yet. And i never remove the valve, i just flush it withhot soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Not sure if its right or wrong, but it works for me. And if you want to remove, a 3 piece ball valve looks easier to remove and clean

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk