What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Ec1118 will ferment anything and if you treat it right you can get way above 18%abv. I use that to make my 10%abv lemon wine and even in that harsh/acidic environment that stuff goes crazy. I have to stabilize and back sweeten after fermentation to the tune of 2lbs sugar/5gal batch. Tastes like lemonade when done and can be real dangerous on a hot day.
This must I made yesterday had a potential 25% abv before I added the fruit

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
How do you add O2? Open and stir?
The best option is a bottle of pure o2 and a sanitized sintered stone (stainless steel), but if you open and stir you can get some more o2 in there, use a sanitized whisk and whip that shit like it owes you money. It takes a bunch of stirring to get o2 absorbed into the must. Make sure you only do that during active fermentation which will use up and drive off o2. O2 in there after fermentation will cause it to stale over time which tastes like soggy cardboard. I bet if you stir you will at least get over 20%abv though.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
The best option is a bottle of pure o2 and a sanitized sintered stone (stainless steel), but if you open and stir you can get some more o2 in there, use a sanitized whisk and whip that shit like it owes you money. It takes a bunch of stirring to get o2 absorbed into the must. Make sure you only do that during active fermentation which will use up and drive off o2. O2 in there after fermentation will cause it to stale over time which tastes like soggy cardboard. I bet if you stir you will at least get over 20%abv though.
Bet that would take some serious aging to taste smooth if it got that high lol

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Bet that would take some serious aging to taste smooth if it got that high lol
Anything over 12% is gonna need some time to calm the fuck down from my experience unless you like to feel the burn... Best option is to start a few batches of high abv stuff to age in glass carboys after primary fermentation is done, then brew some low abv stuff to help you keep out of the rocket fuel until it's ready.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^ truth lol. I've never had anything that big that didn't need the down time. They start to show their colors much sooner but still cant compare to something that's had the extra time to mellow and meld.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Sometimes there's something elegant about simplicity. Reminds me of the Liga bands.
That was one of my inspirations actually. Kind of a hybrid of a liga band and perscription bottle labels. Plus, I wanted something universal, where I could just write in the info based on the batch name, what size bottles I was using, etc