What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Mash tun held for an hour within one degree
Dang that’s pretty good. Do you open and stir at all? I’ve got the Rubbermaid one from Home Depot and I usually lose about 4-5 degrees over an hour, though I open every 15 minutes and give a good stir.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Dang that’s pretty good. Do you open and stir at all? I’ve got the Rubbermaid one from Home Depot and I usually lose about 4-5 degrees over an hour, though I open every 15 minutes and give a good stir.
Opened it once at the end just to check the temp and stir, but damn that was a great surprise! I will probably not even stir next time since I hit 73% efficiency

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Surprised you lose that much. My 25gal Coleman extreme that @BenS sent me only looses 2-3 in an hour if I preheat correctly. I open and stir once during the mash

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Surprised you lose that much. My 25gal Coleman extreme that @BenS sent me only looses 2-3 in an hour if I preheat correctly. I open and stir once during the mash
Yeah I open and stir 3 times usually, that’s probably where my heat goes. I probably don’t need to stir that much. I transfer my water in hotter than needed to let it preheat for a bit, then open and stir until it drops down to strike temp.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Altbier coming to a boil. Tried stirring the mash just once at 30 minutes. Still lost 4 degrees over an hour. I think I’ll try a folded up blanket draped over the lid next time and see if it makes an appreciable difference, though 4 degrees ain’t really that bad. I’ve lived with it this long and my beer’s been fine.

0C60EE9F-9A08-4686-B7B6-8916ECEC9183.jpeg

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Where did you get the wide mouth carboy and how well does it seal? I've read reviews that they don't seal well. They sure would be easier to clean.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It's a 6.5 gal big mouth bubbler. I've had it for years...probably at least 8 or more. Can't remember for sure when or where I bought it. I know it was mail order and I paid extra to have the drain pre-installed. Yes, they are super easy to clean and it is my go-to carboy. I only have the one.

I was curious about your comment because I have never had trouble with mine. So, poking around I see what you are talking about. It looks like the new version has a press seal cap...I gather these often fail to stay seated. I can tell you mine, with the screw on cap, works great.

Here are pics of the style I have...

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Alright brothers, I'm trying my hand at brewing again. This is only my second time brewing beer with the first time 8 years ago. It was a Belgian Wit Beer (Blue Moon clone) that turned out pretty good. This time it's a Belgian Black Ale (1554 clone). Wish me luck and I'll take all the pointers I can get!

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Alright brothers, I'm trying my hand at brewing again. This is only my second time brewing beer with the first time 8 years ago. It was a Belgian Wit Beer (Blue Moon clone) that turned out pretty good. This time it's a Belgian Black Ale (1554 clone). Wish me luck and I'll take all the pointers I can get!

Looks good, it should turn out just fine. You may want to keep a length of tubing handy in case you need to setup a blow-off, and if it were me I would cover that pot during the chill. Don't try to judge fermentation based on airlock activity, get a hydrometer or just leave it alone for a couple weeks. Starting out, go with tried and true recipes and work on refining your process, good sanitary practices are key. Lastly, if you brew a bucket of crap, don't get discouraged. Keep good notes throughout the whole process to help you figure out what went wrong, and work to improve it next time.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I definitely covered the pot during cooling just uncovered for a picture. I do have some tubing if needed. How often is a blow-off needed? Good to know that I can just wait a couple of weeks and not just depend on the airlock.

Would you bottle out of this bucket or should I put it in a carboy in a few days and bottle out of it in a couple of weeks?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I definitely covered the pot during cooling just uncovered for a picture. I do have some tubing if needed. How often is a blow-off needed? Good to know that I can just wait a couple of weeks and not just depend on the airlock.

Would you bottle out of this bucket or should I put it in a carboy in a few days and bottle out of it in a couple of weeks?

No need to secondary really. If you have a spare fridge or room in your regular fridge, crash cool it in that overnight before packaging to get the yeast to settle at the bottom to reduce what gets into bottles or kegs

Rating - 100%
44   0   0

A blowoff may never be needed. It all depends on available head space, yeast strain, temperature, and your original gravity. I typically ferment 5.5 gallons in a 7 gallon fermenter and only get blowoff with large beers with simple sugars added, like a tripel. High gravity, especially with simple sugars make the yeast go crazy. I keep a blowoff tube in place when starting all fermentations just as a precaution. More often then not, I never swap it out for an airlock because I am too lazy.

You can bottle straight out of the bucket, there is rarely a need for a secondary vessel unless it's a bottling bucket with a spigot or a keg. A bottling bucket with spigot will make your life easier and is good for bulk priming. Bottling from a bucket without a spigot is doable if you have a clip or a helper to hold your siphon in place. Either way you go, move your fermenter at least 24hrs in advance to give time for anything you stir up to settle. Crash cooling will help more yeast and hop material settle out but is not a necessity, just be sure to remove your airlock or the pressure change will suck back any liquid in there.