What's new

Homebrewers

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
STOP! NOW! If this board causes me to become engaged in yet another hobby I will need a good divorce lawyer - So tell me about homebrewing?:wink:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Nice, I am doing an American style English Pale Ale on Saturday with a friend. He's helping teach me the ropes

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Wife does not want me to get started. Maybe I should set up at the office and not bring home? This is one of those things I just step away from and not even think about.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife made me stop for a while when we still lived in an apartment. If she didn't then I am sure the neighbors would have started to complain. I think the wort process smells good, like making bread, but others are not so happy with the smell.

Now on the rare occasion that I make a batch I do it outside on a turkey fryer setup. The advantage of this is I can do a full boil of the wort starting with about 7 gal of water, until it is down to about 5 gal at cooling time.

One of the reasons I do not brew much is because of the bottling. If I had one of those 5 gal co2 keg setup I would brew more often.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
There's a place to brew beer in downtown Frederick, MD, where you brew your beer using the house apperati and such. I've always though this was a cool concept. LINK

Oh, and you can make wine there too!!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
There is a place like that in Jersey too called Brewers Apprentice.

I've done it a couple of times but wasn't crazy with the quality of beer that I got. I am going to start doing it at home.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only time my brew was not even drinkable was because I rushed the pre-brew cleaning/disinfection. I learned from that experience and started soaking everything in a weak bleach water solution to make sure it was as clean as possible.

It is amazing how good or bad a homebrew can taste compared to the mass made commercial varieties. But if you want the taste of say coors light then do not even try homebrewing!

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
my dad brewed numerous batches about 8 yrs ago or so. came up with a few good brews. Toadspit Stout was probably the best.