What's new

Homemade shine

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I get some from a buddy that makes runs to KY. Have a gallon of the white in my fridge at the moment. It's good, but I don't touch it much.

I've had some great apple pie, but for it truly to be good it needs to be cold distilled. you can get it to 50-60% ABV that way if you have a cold enough freezer.

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Too many of y'all are watching Moonshiners. lol. Now here is a little history lesson. Josh Owens one of the cast of the show is good friends with the Rev and I. And just so you know, Josh has yet to ever make a quart of shine yet. lol Now the area (Plum Hollow) is just up the road about 4 miles from us and the Moonshine festival is a must attend event. But you will not see the best shine unless your a local. Now I have had some of the late Barney Barnwells shine and it was special indeed. I keep hoping Josh can pull it off but we'll have to see.

http://www.moonshiners.com/festivals/plum-hollow-festival

One of the nice things about living here in SC on the border of NC, plus being married to a local helps. Most of what I have and have gotten would of never seen my freezer if it wasn't for my wife. I have about a half quart of peach shine left that's 30 years old that my late in-laws made. It only sees the light of day on the most special occasions. My niece got to enjoy some for her 21st BD.
I also have about a half gallon of 100% left and as stated above, this shit WILL change your religion. One shot your buzzed, 2 shots and your drunk, 3 shots and your trashed.........

Now with that said, the Revs Apple Pie is friggin crazy shit and I do mean crazy, You can compare it to Long Island Ice Teas. Its way too smooth and will give the most hardcore drinker a beat down if you fail to respect it. Now personally I like his mix better than where he used to get it from. So much so that I'm going to supply him with some 100% so he can work his magic on it.

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that is badass. beer keg is workin well i see?
For what it is it's great. Easy set up and clean up. And a good starting point unless you're lucky enough to have an ol timer show you his ways. To be honest though I feel as 70% of it is based on the recipe...

First of all is that cooking pot 'keg' aluminum? Never cook in aluminum. Where's the thumper? Yes recipe is major factor in the cook. Patience is a virtue;) and apple is simple. Use the KISS method. I've sent jars all over and so far no complaints and I can open cases only to watch it disappear. I can make you smile or fall on your face with a few minor adjustments. To keep it good you must start with a good base 'quality shine' and don't waiver by using inferior ingredients........simple huh:) Good luck all with your endeavors but be safe and be careful. You can blow yourself up and poison many so know your shit before you jump.

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I love the homebrew shine but it's kind of hard to get up in Minnesota. Thankfully I've had a couple of southern friends that have taken care of me in the past though :eyebrow:

Apple Pie shine is awesome but it can be DANGEROUS! Since it doesn't have the kick of the white stuff it can sneak up on you awfully fast.

;) :)

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
You guy are making me thirsty and it's only 8 in the morning. Rev I'm glad you clarified cooking with a keg. I was under the impression that cooking with anything other than a copper pot was a huge no no. Question about the apple. Are the apples something you add after you've made the shine?

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
You guy are making me thirsty and it's only 8 in the morning. Rev I'm glad you clarified cooking with a keg. I was under the impression that cooking with anything other than a copper pot was a huge no no. Question about the apple. Are the apples something you add after you've made the shine?
Yes unless your making Brandy. All liquors are distilled clear the colors and different taste and flavors are a combo of recipe how its barreled what the barrels are made from how they're charred, aged, filtered and its not that simple it has to do with temp while its aging, blending different barrels together for certain taste, color and proof .....etc.

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
;)

For what it is it's great. Easy set up and clean up. And a good starting point unless you're lucky enough to have an ol timer show you his ways. To be honest though I feel as 70% of it is based on the recipe...

First of all is that cooking pot 'keg' aluminum? Never cook in aluminum. Where's the thumper? Yes recipe is major factor in the cook. Patience is a virtue;) and apple is simple. Use the KISS method. I've sent jars all over and so far no complaints and I can open cases only to watch it disappear. I can make you smile or fall on your face with a few minor adjustments. To keep it good you must start with a good base 'quality shine' and don't waiver by using inferior ingredients........simple huh:) Good luck all with your endeavors but be safe and be careful. You can blow yourself up and poison many so know your shit before you jump.
Noooo! It's stainless. Couldn't afford copper pot that would run 15 gals of mash so I went with stainless.

Thank you for the tips. As far as a thumper goes I don't have one, I was yielding 110 proof out the worm on my first run. As soon as I get a hard boil, I run it nice and slow. Coming out the worm I have a slow stream no bigger then a pencil tip.

By no means am I at a level where I know it all or even a lot. I've just done tons of reading on forums and books. I discard the first mason jar of booze. I've been learning as I go and trying different things. It's just another hobby of mine and I know I'll never be near the level you guys are in the south

I

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Yes unless your making Brandy. All liquors are distilled clear the colors and different taste and flavors are a combo of recipe how its barreled what the barrels are made from how they're charred, aged, filtered and its not that simple it has to do with temp while its aging, blending different barrels together for certain taste, color and proof .....etc.
That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure. Have you (or anyone you know) ever tried barrel aging it or is it not worth the time and effort? Would that be considered a bourbon/ whiskey at that point, depending on what you made the mash with?

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I can tell ya 1st hand that XfreebirdX and Rev B know what they r talking about, that apple shine is out of this world....yum

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Patience is the key, it is a fun hobby though. The main thing is make sure you read a lot and understand it before you start up. It's gonna take awhile before you get it down. Just don't take short cuts or skimp or try to rush it. Thats about the best advice if your gonna try it.

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure. Have you (or anyone you know) ever tried barrel aging it or is it not worth the time and effort? Would that be considered a bourbon/ whiskey at that point, depending on what you made the mash with?
You can buy small 1 gallon barrels all the way up to 100+ gal but before you waste $ on barrels make sure you are crazy happy with your product first.:D and as Rex has stated you must be patient......very. keep well documented notes. Temps on your mash your recipes cooking cooling jarring etc. If you don't keep well documented notes you could forget slight or even major details after tasting so much;) it takes years sometimes decades to tweek your recipe:)

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
;)

Noooo! It's stainless. Couldn't afford copper pot that would run 15 gals of mash so I went with stainless.

Thank you for the tips. As far as a thumper goes I don't have one, I was yielding 110 proof out the worm on my first run. As soon as I get a hard boil, I run it nice and slow. Coming out the worm I have a slow stream no bigger then a pencil tip.

By no means am I at a level where I know it all or even a lot. I've just done tons of reading on forums and books. I discard the first mason jar of booze. I've been learning as I go and trying different things. It's just another hobby of mine and I know I'll never be near the level you guys are in the south

I

Man you need a thumper if you want to up the proof. I know it can be done by running it multiple times but that method is for the most experienced shiners and even they don't do it. With a thumper you can run and be done. Rerunning is way to dangerous and that's when things go boom. ;)

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Patience is the key, it is a fun hobby though. The main thing is make sure you read a lot and understand it before you start up. It's gonna take awhile before you get it down. Just don't take short cuts or skimp or try to rush it. Thats about the best advice if your gonna try it.

^^^^This is good advice.

Plus I want to add/emphasize that it also a very dangerous sport. Rushing is a key way to explode. ;)

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You can buy small 1 gallon barrels all the way up to 100+ gal but before you waste $ on barrels make sure you are crazy happy with your product first.:D and as Rex has stated you must be patient......very. keep well documented notes. Temps on your mash your recipes cooking cooling jarring etc. If you don't keep well documented notes you could forget slight or even major details after tasting so much;) it takes years sometimes decades to tweek your recipe:)
Me personally, aging pure shine is a waste of good shine. lol Now making a brandy is another story. Around here you can get green and red cherry, peach and I have even had green grape brandy. The brandy's are what improve with age. No keep in mind this is my own opinion and tastes vary.

I look at the Apple pie like a mixed drink and I personally don't know if it qualifies as a Brandy......Does it Bryan?