What's new

Hoping for advice (wineadors.com)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys just flew back home today and my drawers were waiting for me, very excited, except. ...

I opened them to find that the popcorn Styrofoam had melted to the side.

Here's a pic. Figured Forrest could advise me but since that could take a while I figured I may get multiple suggestions here much faster.

If I sand this side, will that make it worse? When I try to pick it off with my fingernails, it is literally melted into the wood.

What do you guys think? I feel like this Styrofoam could definitely hold mold. Idk if I should sand it, or some other method of getting it off, what that would be idk, that's why I figured I would ask you guys for input.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If it were me I'd try to scrape it smooth with a razor blade or other metal scraper, then sand it with some 220 grit. But then again, I'd probably want to wait for a response for Forrest as well. Damn AZ....

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
You'll never see that part of the drawer anyway. Scrape it off with a razor blade, then sand it. A little sanding certainly won't hurt it at all, I actually ran over all my drawers with a fine-grit sandpaper to smooth out some rough edges.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
If those peanuts are not comming off easily I would suggest maybe hitting them with some distilled water...they disintegrate on contact...though be sure to do a test piece to make sure they don't stain the drawer..In any event they shouldn't cause an issue as they are biodegradable and nontoxic

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If those peanuts are not comming off easily I would suggest maybe hitting them with some distilled water...they disintegrate on contact...though be sure to do a test piece to make sure they don't stain the drawer..In any event they shouldn't cause an issue as they are biodegradable and nontoxic
Are you saying they shouldn't cause an issue even if I leave them on there?

Because I'm fine with just leaving it if I could know that constant moisture wouldn't create mold on them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Damn AZ....

Exactly. To be safe, if you live in AZ and you order drawers from him scheduled for summer delivery, I would definitely request that he use a different packing material.

This may be the first time this ever happened, even in AZ and even deeper into summer, but once is too many, to be safe I would just want something else used.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try scraping them off and minor sanding, but I'm saying if they are tough a touch of distilled water may loosen it up
Ok, you mentioned they biodegradable and nontoxic so I thought you meant if it doesn't come off, they would be safe.

Biodegradable and nontoxic is great for environment but my question is does that mean mold can't grow on these things?

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well mold can grown anywhere, but I'm not sure if the peanuts would facilitate growth ....personally if it was me..If I was unable to get it off I would ask him to send me a replacement...just because like most of us I'm anal with my cigars and you pay good money for those drawers....i waited a little over 2 months for mine and he messed up my order and had new shelves to me and a return for the messed up one less then 7 days later

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well mold can grown anywhere, but I'm not sure if the peanuts would facilitate growth ....personally if it was me..If I was unable to get it off I would ask him to send me a replacement...just because like most of us I'm anal with my cigars and you pay good money for those drawers....i waited a little over 2 months for mine and he messed up my order and had new shelves to me and a return for the messed up one less then 7 days later
Oh wow, thank you, that's good to know. If it comes down to sending it back, I could handle that if I knew it would just be a week.

You are right, these were hard earned dollars I paid then I waited 2 months, so it is def disappointing to finally have the excitement of opening this box and having a new issue. It's like the waiting just doesn't end, but I'm sure a solution will be reached, it's frustrating but definitely not the end of the world.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I wish we had a scholar on mold that could say definitively whether or not packing peanuts would facilitate mold growth.

The walls of my wine fridge are plastic and mold doesn't grow on the walls just because they are plastic.

On the other hand, I would never take a loose packing peanut, shove it in the back corner of the wineador and just leave it.

I can't afford to be lazy and just chance it, unfortunately I sort of have to be anal simply because I'm unsure.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're overthinking it. Shave it off, sand what's left, and you're good to go.
Maybe, I appreciate the advice. That confirms what I was thinking of doing. I'm guessing if I proceed without hearing from Forrest, and it doesn't work, I could forfeit my chance for a replacement.

Paint is hard, it's a "coat" of paint. Sanding paint off wood makes sense.

This is foam, it seems like just maybe sanding it could kind of rub or smear it in worse.

Do you see why I'm cautious? I'm with you all the way, probably sanding will work. Like Geoff suggested, I think I will wait to hear from Forrest first the more I think about it.

Thanks for the input though, Im pretty sure what you suggested is what he will tell me. Going to play it safe.

I waited this long so why not. Really ready to start seasoning, anyway, yeah yeah this and that etc, thsnks for the help guys, ill update with the solution he gives.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forrest wrote back, he did mention trying sandpaper and he said, even though he has never seen this before, he wondered if maybe alcohol (rubbing or denatured) would help. (I have no idea what denatured alcohol is.)

But he basically said, since he has never seen this, to give that a shot and if that didn't work, to go ahead and send them back and he would take care of it.

Bought 220 grit today and am going to attempt to sand it off tommorow.

So that's the update from the man himself. Even he seemed a little taken back by best way to fix it.

I'm rooting for the sandpaper.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Forrest wrote back, he did mention trying sandpaper and he said, even though he has never seen this before, he wondered if maybe alcohol (rubbing or denatured) would help. (I have no idea what denatured alcohol is.)

But he basically said, since he has never seen this, to give that a shot and if that didn't work, to go ahead and send them back and he would take care of it.

Bought 220 grit today and am going to attempt to sand it off tommorow.

So that's the update from the man himself. Even he seemed a little taken back by best way to fix it.

I'm rooting for the sandpaper.
Denatured will open the grain and allow you to wipe off the excess styrofoam. You could also try lacquer thinner. Just make sure you let it air out before installing. Good luck.